What would you do?

Dr. Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've been teaching Kenpo in a City Park & Rec Center for 3 months. Because I don't meet the required 8 students to make a class, I was told I will have to leave. But........I was told that if I wanted to teach TKD as an alternate, they would give me another 3 months to see if a class would make. I can teach both, but would rather stay with Kenpo. If anything, it may be worth it just to keep up my skills, and stay busy, but I just don't know.

Your opinions?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When the center says "as an alternate", does that mean Kenpo is dropped and TKD is taught instead? How comfortable do you feel about teaching TKD? Are you of sufficient rank and proficiency to teach TKD? If you get enough combined # of students to be able to stay at where you teach, would teaching two separate classes be possible?

On the other hand, maybe it is time to start elsewhere so that you can continue teaching Kenpo exclusively.

- Ceicei

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Ceicei. You are the one thats going to be teaching the class, so ultimately you have to decide whats best for you. IMHO, I'd go with what you felt most comfortable with.

Just my .02! :ultracool

Mike

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
At the end of the day you're teaching people self defence techniques and if they work does it really matter what art it is. Maybe you could incorporate some Kenpo to see if your students like it. If i lived nearer I would happily be one of your students. I have just got my brown sash in Shaolin Long Fist and its at this level I am qualified to teach. My instructor hires places such as halls from Leisure centres and I find sometimes smaller classes are better as you cover more!

As i said before you can incorporate some Kenpo if youi were to teach taekwondo. We are already doing some grapping within our sparring, using submissions, holds, take downs, we have touched on some wing chun some elements of tai chi . So what I'm really saying is be open to new ideas and you will gain a lot of interest. After experiencing some Tai chi and aikido from our classes i am very interested in learning about these 2 arts.

Taekwondo seems to be so popular because of all its flashy kicks but are not always very useful against experienced street fighters and grapplers. So if you give your students the opportunity to see some Kenpo they may opt for it instead.

OP
D

Dr. Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
When the center says "as an alternate", does that mean Kenpo is dropped and TKD is taught instead? How comfortable do you feel about teaching TKD? Are you of sufficient rank and proficiency to teach TKD? If you get enough combined # of students to be able to stay at where you teach, would teaching two separate classes be possible?

On the other hand, maybe it is time to start elsewhere so that you can continue teaching Kenpo exclusively.

- Ceicei
Yep, the Kenpo would be dropped. I can teach TKD, and am a 3rd dan with the ITF but Kenpo has more to offer than TKD.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You could tell everyone you are teaching TKD, then just teach Kenpo. I'll bet the people at the parks & rec dept. will never know the difference.

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
HI Dr Kenpo

So what rank are you in Kenpo? I am very interested in this Art as from what I know it uses a lof of multiple hand strike that are very fast.
What did you think about my idea of incorporating some of your Kenpo into the Taekwondo classes?

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tes, claim to teach TKD and teach Kempo instead. Have you ever trie flyers or adevertisements to get the miniumum requirement?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Claiming to teach one but teaching the other cheats the students who do want TKD, as well as the city.

But if you teach TKD, you'll have students interested in the martial arts that you might be able to get interested in other things. Is that worth your time? Only you can say.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe its time to move on to a new arena and explore new teaching opportunities. If you want to teach Kenpo then maybe you should check with the local health clubs and the local high school. If they don't work out, can you teach out of your garage? I have seen a bunch of schools get a good boost from moving to the instructors garage then go from their. Parks and rec tend to be picky. Tyr to relocate if you can. Just remember that nothing happens by chance and it will all work out.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would do what my heart told me to do. I want to teach women so I just turned over a family class that I like to teach but don't really want to invest the time to build the class up. So, if your heart and head is into Kenpo, put all of into going forward with that dream. Always a solution, just got to work it. Good luck with your decision! TW

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Claiming to teach one but teaching the other cheats the students who do want TKD, as well as the city.

But if you teach TKD, you'll have students interested in the martial arts that you might be able to get interested in other things. Is that worth your time? Only you can say.
Good point. I stand corrected.

OP
D

Dr. Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Tony said:
HI Dr Kenpo

So what rank are you in Kenpo? I am very interested in this Art as from what I know it uses a lof of multiple hand strike that are very fast.
What did you think about my idea of incorporating some of your Kenpo into the Taekwondo classes?
4th Dan in Kenpo. I agree, I think TKD could use a boost of Kenpo within it!

OP
D

Dr. Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Tes, claim to teach TKD and teach Kempo instead. Have you ever trie flyers or adevertisements to get the miniumum requirement?
Yep, all sorts of things, demos flyers, np ads. We just have some lazy people here, I think.

OP
D

Dr. Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
searcher said:
Maybe its time to move on to a new arena and explore new teaching opportunities. If you want to teach Kenpo then maybe you should check with the local health clubs and the local high school. If they don't work out, can you teach out of your garage? I have seen a bunch of schools get a good boost from moving to the instructors garage then go from their. Parks and rec tend to be picky. Tyr to relocate if you can. Just remember that nothing happens by chance and it will all work out.
I 've searched, and presently, I also teach out of my garage privately, and it's well suited for teaching. I just wanna get out of the house to teach, if possible.

D

Drifter

There's a thread in one of the school management forums about starting a school for ten dollars. Might be of some interest.
smileJap.gif

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Drifter said:
There's a thread in one of the school management forums about starting a school for ten dollars. Might be of some interest.
smileJap.gif
What? I cant find that...could you link it?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dr. Kenpo you're dignity is on the line, I discourage anybody that is the Art to say one and do the other. I would simply sit down with the parks department and offer to classes one for Kenpo and the other for TKD and see what happens. One's dignity can never be replace with out right Lie's on the Art that is being tought. Please look inside and you know that to be true.

Latest Discussions