What to do????

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Many people who leave flyers on mail boxes and or car windows are just mass distribution employees of an ad company.

The company may have "promised" to hit a certain demographic and also a certain number, and to do so they go after your school and the large store parking lot.

In my experience, I call the people who leave it on my mail box, and tell them they broke my flag off. It has happened before. I cannot leave my mail for the postal service to pick up now. now I am inconvienced and I will remember their company every time I have to raise the new flag on the new mail box.

I have called and asked them if they were going to come out and re-seal the wood on my post so it does not look bad with all the pin whole they have put into it.

I have called people who left their papers taped to my door. They say it is cler tape on glass so it will come off. I ask if they will come out and scrape it off, and if the window is scratched will they replace it? I also ask about the metal on the door that they also touched with the tape. then I bring up the issue of the "glue" that remains behind and will collect dirt and look bad.

If one was mean, one could see if there are any laws that prohibit the distribution of such material in such a manner, including littering. I did not ask for it so they littered on my vehicle.

But all of these require your time and effort and may or may not get what you want.

I understand being upset, but marketing happens. People are not like me and some others where we schedule our events so as not to conflict with others, or to be too near, so people have a chance to go where they want.

I also might start with a simple call to the school owner and ask him if he knew about the targeting of your school. If he did, then you know he is a jerk. If he did not then how he reacts will let you know who to deal with him in the future.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would do nothing. If you respect yourself and your "product," you should have nothing to worry about.

Beta was better than VHS. The list goes on...marketing matters. If you do the m.a. as a business, then a business is what it is, and there's a reason that schools of business grant entire degrees in marketing and in advertising.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would use this as a motivator to look at my marketing strategies and ramp it up a notch. I do not mean to do anything directly against your competitor. I just mean to look at what more you can be doing to become visible and draw people to your school. Turn it into something positive for yourself. Becoming even more successful would be the best response. :) Just focus on making yourself better.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would not give it another thought. The guy seems to be a pretty big jerk and you should just let it go. I hate it when someone goes about things in this manner, very distasteful. Pay him no mind and people will see through his ways.

davedaylight

White Belt
Reaction score
Many people who leave flyers on mail boxes and or car windows are just mass distribution employees of an ad company.

The company may have "promised" to hit a certain demographic and also a certain number, and to do so they go after your school and the large store parking lot.

that was exactly my thought on this situation, and if it was an ad company they probably don't know jack about martial arts--or probably care one bit either, they'd probably just be trying to get as many of those cards/flyers onto as many vehicles they can in as short an amount of time as possible.

i once heard this quote that i thought was really good, "never ascribe as malice what can easily be explained as ignorance", meaning don't automatically think that someone is "out to get you" when it could easily just be a misunderstanding, or ignorance, or stupidity, etc.

so for me personally i just wouldn't even worry about it, or give it much thought.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
I understand business is business, but in my parking lot?
icon8.gif

While that is rude in my book also. The point is still made that this is American and a free market and your prices should deflect any attempt by him once they learn his prices are higher or your instruction is better. Whatever the case might be.

OP
AMP-RYU

AMP-RYU

Black Belt
Reaction score
that was exactly my thought on this situation, and if it was an ad company they probably don't know jack about martial arts--or probably care one bit either, they'd probably just be trying to get as many of those cards/flyers onto as many vehicles they can in as short an amount of time as possible.

i once heard this quote that i thought was really good, "never ascribe as malice what can easily be explained as ignorance", meaning don't automatically think that someone is "out to get you" when it could easily just be a misunderstanding, or ignorance, or stupidity, etc.

so for me personally i just wouldn't even worry about it, or give it much thought.

Its not a marketing or add company, we live with a total pop. between the two towns of about 8,000 people. No need for advertising like this. Im not worried, I have better instruction and he is more expensive....nuff said. Thanks everyone
icon11.gif

Don Black

White Belt
Reaction score
I'd let it go. Any counter measure you take could trigger a pissing contest that could escalate into something more serious. Nobody wins a turf war.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
You could always go over to his school and thank him for finding you as a threat to his business.

And then you could then challenge him to a death match.:eek:verkill:

OP
AMP-RYU

AMP-RYU

Black Belt
Reaction score
You could always go over to his school and thank him for finding you as a threat to his business.

And then you could then challenge him to a death match.:eek:verkill:

Death match...........yeah!!!!!!!!!!!
icon10.gif

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes that was rude. Ignore him anyway.

If you decode not to, might I suggest a chi-ball throwing contest?

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Man,

That seems really underhanded and rude. To me I would take it,(Flyers), as a compliment. Yeah it sucks and the area you are in is small. I know where your gym is, well good location for a "Corner of the market" but bad when underhanded things get done like this other school owner did.

In St. L all we have is a TKD and OPEN sign for the building. We also have the free listing in the yellow pages but man so many other schools have stands in the mall, much bigger noteriety and the whole ball of wax.

If I were you man I would thank him for the flyers. He feels threatened. That is a good thing.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
99.9% of the fliers found in the windshields of cars winds up in one of two places: the ground or the trashcan. Kind of an 'if I throw enough mud at the wall, some of it might stick' way of advertising. It isn't very effective and generally annoys people.

Yes, that .1 percent of people who actually read the flier, respond to it, and then spend their money generally justify this fairly inexpensive advertising means.

My advice? Go to the school with the flier/card and look at what he's doing. Watch his classes, look at his layout, and get a good feel for his curriculum. If he isn't going to know you as the teacher from the next town over (he probably won't), sit down with him and ask questions as a curious consumer. Ordinarily, I wouldn't suggest that last part; it is rude and wastes the time of the personel who answer the questions in hopes of gaining a student. But in this case, he did put the card on your windshield in front of your school, which is an invitation to investigate his school as a customer.

Who knows? You may pick up some cool ideas. I visit other schools all the time for just that reason, though I either just sit in the public area and watch class (if the school is set up that way) or I ask if I may introduce myself and strike up a conversation, though this is generally with schools that teach different arts. I have picked up good ideas from even crappy schools, and if nothing else, I gain a greater sense of what is around my school. Knowing your competition is never bad.

Lastly, you could use the opportunity to simply 'know' the guy down the road. You're both in the same business, so perhaps you could cooperate for mutual benefit, such as tournaments and such.

One thing I would do to ramp up my own advertising if I were you would be to set up a good website. I believe MT has web hosting services and a business class membership. Also, if you don't have a Myspace for your school, you should set one up. You can make it as slick as you want to and it will be viewed by more people than scraps of paper left in a windshield. Best of all, its free.:) Any websites you have for your school, post the link in your signature on any forums in which you are a part.

Daniel

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Do a Kumite Style Death match on PPV and have Frank Dux host it!!

I would just shrug it off, unless of course he was doing it in front of your dojang. At that point, you contact the police for people loitering. You can't fault the guy really for trying to maintain his business is these trying financial times, so live and let live.

Last edited:

dewey

White Belt
Reaction score
Handing out flyers is low-percentage advertising considering the tools and communities we have today: the Internet. It creates litter and is really annoying to have to remove from your windshield.

Distributed in that way, people hate flyers.

It looks like a desperate attempt to save his business. I've seen it happen over and over again. Don't be surprised to see him close his doors within six months. In the meantime, show your area that you're a stand-up person with a lot to offer, for a very good price. All his students will flock to you.

I also like the deathmatch idea.

I second this. In the age of the Internets, relying upon flyers to sell your business (and it is a business, BTW) is a sure sign of desperation ($100/month dues...yikes!). It also broadcasts a sense of "out-of-touch"-ness that is neither quaint or admirable...it's just plain annoying.

For what he's charging, no wonder he's desperate. I don't know about you, but I can't afford $100/month tuition in today's economy! Commercial martial arts schools of all styles are suffering today. For your typical family, the first budgeting that occurs is reducing or even eliminating recreational activities. Many schools are seeing reduced enrollment. He won't last long.

As others have said, it's indeed disrespectful. However, in light of what I've said above...I wouldn't get too upset over it. He's clearly desperate for business and is willing to compromise ethical behavior. You, however, aren't...GOOD FOR YOU!

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I'd follow the earlier advice and either call him or show up at his school with a flyer in hand. There is a possibility that the instructor actually doesn't know that they were targetting your parking lot; even if a service isn't being used, this could still be the actions of an overzealous student.

Ask him about it, and you'll get a better feeling for what type of person he is. If he admits to it, let him know that you think this is a fairly underhanded business tactic and are happy to see that he is that scared of the competition, and wish him good luck. If he claims to know nothing about it, tell him you thought as much, and are confident that he'll look into it and fix the situation so it doesn't occur in the future.

As tempting as it is, I wouldn't stoop to his level; as mentioned, this is an extremely low success-rate marketing tool (actually, I make a note of deliberately NEVER using a service that annoys me with trash under my windshield wipers).

Aefibird

Green Belt
Reaction score
As someone has said, this could be a good opportunity for you to evaluate your own strategy of gaining more students. Do you mainly rely on word of mouth or have 'ad campaigns' now and again? A few ads here and there might just give those who know you exist a gentle 'prod' and make them think about coming to a class, especially if this other guy has been blitzing town with his flyers. If people have seen his advert and know his class costs $X per month then this could be a timely reminder to folk in town that YOUR class is nearer and only costs $Y per month.

Also, see this as an opportunity to make a new contact in martial arts. The guy may genuinely not know that his flyers are plastered all over your car park and by meeting him you may form a good working relationship.

My Karate Sensei has many contacts in various schools throughout the region where he lives, and uses them as a means to gain new knowledge between his and another clubs students, to do a bit of joint promotion/advertising in local press (his school holds gradings in the same venue as a couple of other martial arts schools and they have a big training day together. Interesting for students and helps get the school name in the local media) and just as people to bounce ideas/information back and forth between.

If you automatically see every club that opens up in your local area as disrespecting you and a big rival/threat, then your students will pick up on that and follow that line of thought too. IMO, much better for all clubs in a local area (even if you all offer the same art) to work together for the good of martial arts. Heck, MA gets enough bad press at times as it is, without creating unecessary divides between its practitioners.

See this as an opportunity to be the bigger man and set a good example to your students by welcoming a new school and being friendly towards the owner/instructors.

OP
AMP-RYU

AMP-RYU

Black Belt
Reaction score
See this as an opportunity to be the bigger man and set a good example to your students by welcoming a new school and being friendly towards the owner/instructors.

"New School"?? He has been there for 2 years! but I see your point. The flyers I place arent on cars but directly in the newspaper, distributed to every house! Thank you everyone/

OP
AMP-RYU

AMP-RYU

Black Belt
Reaction score
"New School"?? He has been there for 2 years! but I see your point. The flyers I place arent on cars but directly in the newspaper, distributed to every house! Thank you everyone/
Thank you to whoever gave me the bad rep for asking this question! I wish people who gave bad rep would sign there rep comment so someone knew who the culpret was. The bad rep comment stated..... "why ask this question when your going to do the same thing anyways?" For this is not true! I never said I was going to place flyers on windshields! I place my flyers in the newspaper like I have for years! And only the newspaper. I wouldnt disrespect someones personal property by tagging it with trash. So whomever gave me bad rep on this....please sign your comment next time. Thank you.:asian:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rep system is a great way to communicate about posts directly to the poster, without making a public reply. It's generally best to leave it "behind the scenes" and simply use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page to report any suspected problems. See section 5.3.2 of The Rules.

Latest Discussions