What will you change????

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sadly, particularly in a slow economy, the answer is likely that they had time in grade and had paid the testing fees.

Daniel

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Youre right, but even though dues were paid I would have stopped them right then and there and said Im sorry you will have to wait another 3 months to test again because you just arent ready! I dont care how many hours they put in or how much money is spent, if you dont learn or even remember for that matter, what you are training in then you just dont deserve the honor of black belt status. The things that they screwed up the most in were BASIC stuff, things you learn like stances as a white belt. If these gals had trained in my school Im pretty sure my Sabum-nim would still have these gals as a green belt, it really was that bad!

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Youre right, but even though dues were paid I would have stopped them right then and there and said Im sorry you will have to wait another 3 months to test again because you just arent ready! I dont care how many hours they put in or how much money is spent, if you dont learn or even remember for that matter, what you are training in then you just dont deserve the honor of black belt status. The things that they screwed up the most in were BASIC stuff, things you learn like stances as a white belt. If these gals had trained in my school Im pretty sure my Sabum-nim would still have these gals as a green belt, it really was that bad!

In my goldfen years afther the examiniation sambonim gave us our qualification (from 00 to 100%) and the person who didin't get a score of 80 or 85% (don't recall very well) didin't make it and have to wait almost 3 months (for Kyup) to do the examination again and for BB or dan examination you would wait ONE year!!!

These days al leat the examination I have been in my dojan qualifiocation or grade does not matter you just pass or .... pass!!!! Yesd it's a thing of money but for me if I am not ready or fell not ready I will rather skip the test before to do the things pretty horrible.

Manny

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Easy, Chum. As superheroes, we must be conscious of those young viewers out there in Teeveeland. Remember the Superfriends Code of Conduct.:)

Daniel

You are right for that matter I did not put all the letters or words in the exclamation.

Sorry if I piss someone here, I did not mean it.

Pax.

Manny

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You are right for that matter I did not put all the letters or words in the exclamation.

Sorry if I piss someone here, I did not mean it.

Pax.

Manny
Not at all; I was being silly, not admonishing. If you've never seen the old Batman show from the late sixties or the old Superfriends circa 1973, my joke may not make sense.:p

Daniel

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would like to see character (behavior) objectives in curriculum. I suspect that most curricula are limited to skill objectives, though we all seek to develop character in students as well.

I see students who can rattle off tenets as robotically as they perform poomse...going through the motions. I get that (on the business side), money is at the root of faster promotion.

I read Joe Hyams' Zen in the Martial Arts almost 30 years ago as a 17 year old red belt, and it still reminds me of important lessons that are much deeper than martial skill.

It's easier to write skill objectives than behavioral ones, but behavioral objectives identify what the mature student should do in a given situation. Hyams' book is a pretty good starting point for what I'd look for, along with the tenets and values discussed widely in TKD literature.

Some schools require community service and other demonstrations of character and service for students to receive diplomas. What I'm suggesting is similar in concept.

(I'm going to leave this here for now, but if there's interest it might make an interesting discussion on its own. I work as a public school teacher consultant, so I deal with behavioral objectives regularly.)

Carl

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
pretty much what Daniel said, take all the hippy flippy kickboxers and remove them from TKD and let them do thier own thing, seperate and removed from TKD.

If I was some kind of TKD king, I'd just change the competition sparring rule set to better reflect reality and be done with this discussion forever.

Encourage kicks by scoring them higher than punches etc to keep the kicking angle as the art's strategic focus, but open up hands to the face, actually score punches etc.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I was some kind of TKD king, I'd just change the competition sparring rule set to better reflect reality and be done with this discussion forever.

Encourage kicks by scoring them higher than punches etc to keep the kicking angle as the art's strategic focus, but open up hands to the face, actually score punches etc.

It was like that a long long time ago in a galaxy far away, call dreamland
icon10.gif

Latest Discussions