What will you change????

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
What will you do change in TKD right now? I mean if you will get the power to make changes in TKD to make it better what will you do?

Manny

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Convince everyone to practice more. :)

On a serious note, I've regained my optimism about TKD and martial arts in general.

I think we're all branching out and exploring and teaching our own ideas of what we think the art should be. Hopefully over time as our efforts mature, the general public will understand that there are multiple facets to any art, including TKD, and they will know to seek out what they are interested in as individuals.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would like to abolish poomse, altogether. Way, and I mean WAY too much of our competition day is taken up by these poomse competitors. If it wasn't for them, most competitions would be over by early afternoon instead of late evening. Also get rid of weapons and breaking. Nothing but Olympic style sparring for me.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would make it mandatory for every single BB to understand application of poomsae. I mean so many just know the movements and never ever figure out the true applications.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Terry and mango.man remind me of that joke about the Aggie and his two friends who found a genie lamp. The first guy wishes to be spirited off to a land of peace and relaxation with lots of pretty women and good hunting. The second guy thinks for a while and says he wants the same thing and poof the genie sends him to heaven too. The Aggie looks around and says, "Gee, I miss my friends. I wish I had them back."

Kingtkd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hmm i would change the fact i cant showboat
and ali shuffle while im in a match..
o but thats a school rule.. lol

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What will you do change in TKD right now? I mean if you will get the power to make changes in TKD to make it better what will you do?

Manny
My answers refer to KKW and WTF taekwondo. I am not familiar enough with ITF/Chang Hon TKD or the ATA to make any intelligent comments about what I feel should be changed.

1. I would change the name of the martial art to Taekwonsul.
2. I would separate the KKW and the WTF entirely and reorganize the WTF as a true sports entity, rather than a part sport entity/part MA entity.
3. Poomsae would be eliminated from the WTF and replaced with a formal set of partnered one steps (a-la kendo) and the Kukkiwon would make boon hae mandatory with their poomsae.
4. I would create a new set of sparring rules for the renamed martial art that reflect the techniques (boon hae included) taught in the poomsae. It would probably look a lot more like stand-up MMA meets Best of the Best meets Kyokushin.
5. I would remove the kyu/dan ranking system from the WTF entirely and design a dobok that did not require a belt.
6. I would introduce an ITF style front close dobok (rather than the diagonal cross over).
7. I would lift the rating system from sport fencing and apply it to WTF competition.

I could probably think of more, but these seven pretty much address the big areas that adversely affect Taekwondo.

Daniel

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

God King can you have a little Humility and remurse, you are the kind the sport does not need. Sorry but someone needs to tell you this.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
pretty much what Daniel said, take all the hippy flippy kickboxers and remove them from TKD and let them do thier own thing, seperate and removed from TKD.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
The first thing I would do is re-name the olympic style tkd to 'sport tkd' or some other name that represents this. I think its important for the general public to know the difference between the martial art of tkd and the sport , they have become so different that they require separate names. If this couldnt be done then I would change the sparring rules to better represent the art of tkd, punches should be scored more and punches to the head should be allowed.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
God King can you have a little Humility and remurse, you are the kind the sport does not need. Sorry but someone needs to tell you this.
I seem to recall him saying that he is a junior BB, which means that he's probably in middle school or just started high school.

Daniel

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Shelton,

This is a courtesy to you, not busting your chops.

Having watched your video, I will say that you are certainly proficient. But you are not the up and coming Ali of TKD.

Showboating and Ali shuffling in a match without being Ali is generally a quick way to get popped a few times. Plus it makes you look like a toad and your instructors look like jerks. Not to mention that it goes against several of the tenets of the art. Keep in mind that as a 'do' art, there is supposed to be more to taekwondo than just kicks and punches.

Courtesy (Ye Ui / &#50696;&#51032;)Showing courtesy to all, respecting others, having manners as well as maintaining the appropriate etiquette at all times, both within and outside the dojang (&#46020;&#51109;) (designated training area).

Integrity (Yeom Chi / &#50684;&#52824;)
Although it may be similar, this form of integrity takes on a more wider role then defined in the common dictionary. In taekwondo, integrity means not only to determine what is right or wrong but also having the conscience to feel guilt if one has done wrong and to have the integrity stand up for what is right.

Perseverance (In Nae / &#51064;&#45236;)One will persevere time and time again until they have achieved a result which is adequate towards what one was trying to achieve.

Self-control (Geuk Gi / &#44537;&#44592;)This means to not only have control over one's physical acts, but also their mental thoughts and actions.

Indomitable spirit (Baekjeol Bulgul / &#48177;&#51208;&#48520;&#44404;)To have indomitable spirit means to have the courage to stand up for what you believe in, no matter what odds you are up against, and to always give 100% effort in whatever you do.

That sort of behavior goes against the tenets of courtesy and self control. As a junior black belt, you should be displaying both. Considering that you are on a public forum and we know who you are, you might want to consider displaying courtesy and self control when you post. If not for yourself, at least for the benefit of your school and instructors.

Also, most athletics have limits on that kind of behavior. Even the NFL curbs it. In fencing, it will get you carded. Your school is right to have that rule.

It costs you nothing to be polite in victory. You have, after all, already won.:)

Daniel

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would make it mandatory for every single BB to understand application of poomsae. I mean so many just know the movements and never ever figure out the true applications.

You are talking about some kind of bunkai, aren't you Terry?

Manny

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I would make sure that belts arent handed out just because you tested, you should EARN the belt!

I was SOOO disappointed at last weeks BB testing that I went to! Two adult women tested, they came from Syracuse...they were HORRIBLE! One lady didnt even go into a basic forward stance when doing her katas, and when GM Chong asked her and the other gal to do Palgwe Yuk Jang he had to repeat it several times because they did a totally different form all together!! AND they kept stopping at looking at each other and whispering stuff like "whats the next move?" The look on GM Chongs face was incredulous like WTF are they testing for! YET...they still passed!

I dont consider MY school to be a "McDojang" because we really DO work hard for our promotions, but if a kid or adult gets their tips and screws up their belt testing royally, I dont think that they should move on to the next belt because they have not yet learned the correct moves, stances blocks or whatever for the current level they are already at! KWIM?

cmassman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would get rid for the politics and all the fragile egos people have, that way we could just respect and appreciate one another’s martial art path they have chosen.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would make sure that belts arent handed out just because you tested, you should EARN the belt!

I was SOOO disappointed at last weeks BB testing that I went to! Two adult women tested, they came from Syracuse...they were HORRIBLE! One lady didnt even go into a basic forward stance when doing her katas, and when GM Chong asked her and the other gal to do Palgwe Yuk Jang he had to repeat it several times because they did a totally different form all together!! AND they kept stopping at looking at each other and whispering stuff like "whats the next move?" The look on GM Chongs face was incredulous like WTF are they testing for! YET...they still passed!
At a black belt test????

"World Taekwondo Federation, Batman!"

Daniel

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
YES!!! A black belt test! Can you just imagine??? I just stood there with my jaw on the floor! Four of my good friends tested and they stood there after they had completed their katas, and watched these 2 gals screw up royally...and after the testing when we all got together for a small party, they were just as confused as I was about WHY these gals were allowed to test!