What, When, Why did you start the Martial Arts?

hapkenkido

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i hope this thread has not been started before. but i was was just wondering what got you into the ma when did you start and why did you pick your style(s).

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
i hope this thread has not been started before. but i was was just wondering what got you into the ma when did you start and why did you pick your style(s).

What got me started: I really wasn't into sports when I was in school, so my Father suggested I give the martial arts a try. There was a school nearby, so I went to check it out. I ended up joining and have been training ever since.

When did I start: When I was 12.

Why did I pick the style: The school was a SKK school. (Villari) There were others, but as I said, that was the one nearby. I'm still in Kenpo, however, not a Villari school. Kenpo was and will always be my base art, although I cross train in a few other arts.

Mike

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Not to sound like a jerk, but, rather, being completely honest, I fought a lot as a kid. I was always younger, smaller, and weaker. One day a certain person had a book about it. I read it. Also, it was on tv a lot then. I copied movements and practiced them on my own from the tv, had family friends from the military, a certain babysitter, etc...

I tried many different styles through the years but always found I gravitated to kem/npo as well. I liked the directness and realness to it. It seemed to fit better with what I had to deal with.

ggg214

Blue Belt
Reaction score
chinese martial art is always my dream from childhood. but hard to find a master and no time for practising. until i entered into college, i got a chance to learn karate do. 4 years later, i quit because i have graduated and moved out of the college.
but infortunately, i found my sifu, and started to learn taiji.
the more i practised , the more i love it.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Martial arts was something I always had an interest in but never pursued. It wasn't like this driving force/obsession or anything, just these fleeting thoughts over the years that said, I wish I could do that.

When my son was 9 we were living in rural Tennessee. He has a neurological disorder and had been in therapy since 20 months of age. I was looking for an activity for him and something that would be therapeutic for his motor skills. Believe it or not, there was a kung fu school 4 miles from our home, and a good one at that.

I signed him up for classes. He loved it, and as I sat there through his first month of training I kept thinking, I wanna do that too...no, I'm too old to start now (I was 39)...but I wanna do it! So I thought, **** it, I'm signing up.

That was 5 years ago, we have since moved and I started training a different style of kung fu when I found another school after our move. I've come to love Chinese Martial Arts. My son no longer trains, he has found an interest in guitar playing. I, on the other hand, plan on continuing to train for many years to come. Marital arts has become a part of me.

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Started in Shaolin Kempo Karate. at 12 years old. My Mom took me to the movie Karate Kid. Then 1 week later a SKK School opened and She let me join. I still train and teach but now mostly Kosho Ryu Kempo and Some GJJ. I do still teach Shaolin Kempo but with a Kosho mind. I just love it all.

Kosho

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I allmost never have just 1 reason for anything.

As a real little kid I thought Karate men could cut your head off with their hands, being a little boy allready on a serious Star Wars trip, that sounded pretty cool.

When my Mom moved me to Upstate NY, to marry my Step dad, I moved into a small town from Metro DC.
Being from out of town and a small cross eyed, glasses wearing astmatic kid with big currly hair and who's parent's were "Bikers" got me picked on alot.

I fought at least once a week, sometimes more from grade K-5.
I'd get messed with, I'd react and there you go. It was usually kids much older and bigger than myself.

I allways tried to emulate the kicks and such Buck Rodgers and James T. Kirk would use and try them in my little schooyard encounters, at the same time I was begging my step dad to let me take Karate or Kung Fu as I knew he had studied in Asia while in the Air Force.

He allways said I was not ready and he did not want to put me in a class and have me quit (The nearest Dojo was also 6 miles away)and he did not have the time to train me himself.

That changed in 4th grade. My best freind was taken TKD and showing me what he learned. Dad noticed my kicks and punches looked pretty good, so he gave me a few pointers and left it there.
Then I came home with a black eye from a fight. He asked what happend.
I told him the other kid hit me first and I shoved him to the ground and waited for the kid to get up. When he did he let me have it.
The old man said "First mistake is letting him get up, kicks work better when the guy ison the ground."
He then started to show me how to headbutt, while trapping his foot with yours and following up with an elbow an shove.
From then till my folks divorced in 86 I trained 1 x a week with Dad and was allways practicing. Itb was a meld of the Combat TKD, Muay Thai and Polish Streetfighting and is one of the reasons i always liked combative techniques that work.

When I moved to South Florida, I landed in a rough area and a rougher middle school, that was a Gladiator acadamy for the Hellish High School next door. The fights became more serious.
I found a Dojo and started training again. It not only made me a better fighter, wich has helped me survive people actually trying to maim or kill me (Long story, been assulted by crackheads a few times) but it also kept me out of trouble (all the kids I ran with before the TKD school ended up on crack, in jail or dead.) for a while and gave me an extended family.
It also opened my eyes to Jujutsu and startyed my search for it.

So Self Defense was #1 but I have got so much more from the arts.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
What: Taekwondo...purely by coincidence
When: About four years ago (at age 35)
Why: Zombie hordes, android vampires, usual suburban life

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Mostly because of my father, I guess."
Actually, that is where it started. As far back as I can remember, my father has been into Zen philosophy and Japanese culture. That started my interest in all things Asian (which I have pretty much grown out of).
When I was a boy, two of my cousins were taking Karate (can't remember what ryu). I loved watching them but was too scared of confrontation to try it myself.
MUCH later in life, after I had been married for 2 or 3 years, and was going to counceling (confronting my fears, all that good stuff), I finally worked up the nerve to try out the "karate" class (it was actually streamlined Wing Chun, but that's besides the point) that was offered at the gym I went to. I've been hooked ever sense.
I stopped doing the karate/wing chun when my wife became pregnant and bedridden. After my son was born I researched about every art imaginable, and tried everything from olympic fencing to Shotokan Karate. I eventually found Arnis, which I love and have stuck with.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What:I always wanted to is the best answer I can come up with.
When:First week of May 2005
Why Kenpo: It's what is in my (small) town and the way my sifu had with the students impressed me.
Damn, I like Freep's answer why better...

harold

Green Belt
Reaction score

I got hooked when I saw the movie "Billy Jack" in 1971. I started in 1971 in Shorin Ryu. Got out of the martial arts for many years, started back again in 1993, and received my black belt in Taekwondo. In 1995 started studying Modern Kenpo and presently have a second degree brown belt in that. I have also studied some Krav Maga, Inosanto Kali, and Russian Systema.

tempus

Green Belt
Reaction score
TV got my interest. Kung FU, Ninja TV\Movies of the 80's etc....Later while in high school there was a TKD club so I joined that. After high school never found an art close by that I liked. I did check a Kung Fu school that was by my college, but everyone had their head shaved so I moved on.

Fast forward to 2000 and a friend of my inlaws was giving a demo of TKD and Nihon Goshin Aikido. I got hooked on the flying bodies and people get slammed to the mat with the Aikido and signed up. My wife signed up to, but was expecting the TKD and was a little shocked at the first class, but she did get a few belts in the NGA.

-Gary

turtle

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I started in high school. Wanted to start in middle school, convinced my parents to take me to a school to sign up but when they saw the class they said "no way." I guess it looked too rough for a 13 year old girl.

In high school I signed up for a self-defense class and after taking that for a couple of months convinced my parents to sign me up at the instructor's school, which was a "Korean Karate" school. I don't remember what made me want to take up martial arts - just a general fascination I guess.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What: Taekwon-Do
When: February 1987
Why: Because the guy I was dating talked me into it, against my (then) preferences and inclination.

Stategirlwv

White Belt
Reaction score
What : I was talked into taking Sho-Rin-Ji-Ryu but didn't fit well in that style for some reason. Then a Ko Sutemi Seiei Kan Dojo opened down the road from me and I started there 3 days a week. And I love it. But I am also studing Bujinkan 1 day a week.

When: I have been studing now for 5 months at the age of 38

Why: I started mainly because I was talked into starting but also because I wanted to try and get into better shape. After only 3 months I had dropped 25 pounds. :p

NDNgirl4ever

Green Belt
Reaction score
What got me into the martial arts? I've always had some interest. When I was younger, some of my classmates took karate and Tae Kwon Do, and I wanted to as well, but my mom wouldn't let me because she thought I was too young. Then when I was 19 years old, I began to think about the martial arts again and I began to look for a school. There were too schools near my house, one was Tae Kwon Do, the other Kobayashi Shorin Ryu karate. The schools are almost across the street from each other. For some reason, I kept going back and looking at the Karate Dojos website. I finally decided to contact them and ask about the trial classes. So my mom, dad and I went down to check out the school and meet the Sensi. We all loved the school right away. Everyone was friendly, no pushy sales pitches, and no contracts. I decided to join the school, and I have been going there for a little over a year now.

I absolutely love karate. Deciding to get into martial arts was one of the best decisions that I have ever made.

OP
hapkenkido

hapkenkido

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i guess i should have answered my own thread.
my older brother grew up with the kung fu theater on tv and would buy any book he could on the martial arts and use me to test on. we did not have a school near us and a parents could not afford it if there was. then in 92 the Perfect Weapon came out and all i wanted was kenpo and stick fighting (did not know what it was called then). 93 tkd offshoot opened up with in walking distance from my house and i had a job to pay for it. got my black belt in it and still wanted more. in 96 found i wanted more than just punching and kicking and started hapkido and have been with it since teaching it now as my full time job. in 2000 finally a kenpo school came to the area i am in and started kenpo and modern arnis there.
sorry if that was too long winded.

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What got me started: Kinda cheesy, I'll admit, but it was the Power Rangers. It just took me a few more years to mature to the point of not worrying what the world thought of a shy, little bookworm being a martial artist.

When did I start: in my senior year of high school

Why did I pick the style: TKD was the only martial art offered at the Y my mom & I were members of at the time

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Black belt Theater on Saturday mornings.......

Seriously. Seeing 36 chambers of Shaolin, and The Master Killer.

As soon as I could get the money together, I went to the first school I could find and signed up.

that was Aug of 84

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I started Judo and fencing at ten. Why? I was the nerdy kid who got picked on a lot. Judo changed that. The fencing sounded like a lot of fun.

Latest Discussions