what weapon

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i didnt plan on getting the sais so early but i found a $40 pair for $20 so i figured i best jump on the train and grab them then put them away once i recieve them

If those are the standard generic sai that you can get from any number of places (AWMA, Century, etc)., then you're probably going to find that they're poorly balanced, and that you're going to find yourself compensating for the poor balance.

What I really don't like about these generic sai, is that they also have a bit of a hump where the handle and the guard are welded together. This interferes with smooth operation.

If you must go with a cheaper pair, they do have lighter ones (still made out of steel) that are known as their "demonstration models," and that those are a bit better balanced.

At this stage, since you don't have any formal training in the sai, it probably won't make too much of a difference, but if you start formal training, under a competent instructor, the limitations of the cheap clunkers will be evident.

Even instruction via video would be preferable to trying to figure it out on your own.

OP
firerex

firerex

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i got both from karate depot and i read that the sais were tested strong enough to stick into wood when thrown so i figured they must be good quality

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i got both from karate depot and i read that the sais were tested strong enough to stick into wood when thrown so i figured they must be good quality

Any piece of cheap steel can do this. For that matter, even a stainless steel sword-like object (such as those cheap "ninja" swords) can stick in wood.

The quality of the sai is not solely dependent on the alleged strength of the material. Instead, one needs to look at the following factors in addition to material strength:

1) Balance - Are these sai well-balanced, and do they allow you do use what are supposed to be fundamentally good mechanics? An unbalanced pair can result in the practitioner compensating by altering hand position, and not letting the sai fly out on their own (still retaining, though). This, in turn, will result in the development of bad mechanics.

2) Construction - How good is the welding? Most cheap sai are going to use poor quality welding at the guard position. Furthermore, such sai are also going to have that awful "hump" at the guard, which can interfere with good mechanics.

3) Fit - How well do the sai fit your hands and arms? This is related to 1), since sai that fit your hands and arms, will allow you to practice without having to make adjustments to what should be good technique.

Vulcan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Our tent poles( we use metal poles), gaff poles, all can be converted into instant weapons..legal too!

Learn to be practical and find a weapon than can be use anywhere....NO laws against carrying a broom or mop stick!

If carrying a baseball bat...just make sure a glove and ball is in the same place....OFFICER...we like to practice all the time...with our baseball stuffs....Aloha

...we were swinging the bat....I guess he didn't "duck" in time...oops

Hitting anyone who is unarmed with anything other than words (or maybe a limb if they intend on hurting you and you can't escape) is against the law in every US state.

If you get into a fight and maim/kill someone with a stick (or worse, a 15th century bladed weapon), you're going to jail, and at your trial, the jury will convict you for having poor judgement and/or being a person that spoiled for a fight. If computer forensics dredges up your old posts showing how you salivated at the thought of beating the hell out of someone with something, then that can be used as evidence and will do your case so favours.

Then there is the matter of retention and storage. Whenever you commit to owning a weapon(s), be sure to properly lock them away when not in use, and practice how to keep them out of the hands of those that would use them against you and yours. An overconfident budo mindset of "no one can break my ninja grip!!!!" doesn't apply when you have more than two weapons or assailants.

Just something to think about whenever you decide to act on an interest in a potentially lethal hobby.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hitting anyone who is unarmed with anything other than words (or maybe a limb if they intend on hurting you and you can't escape) is against the law in every US state.
No, it's not. It depends entirely on the circumstances and threat that the person faces. My sister-in-law only broke 100 lbs when she was pregnant; in fact, it was only in the last trimester! Were a 290 lbs college football player to move aggressively toward her, unarmed, would she only be justified in begging "please, pretty please, stop?" No. She might even be able to justify using lethal force!

Nor must you wait until you're being pummeled to defend yourself. Once you reasonably believe the attack is imminent, and force necessary to protect yourself, you can use force.
If you get into a fight and maim/kill someone with a stick (or worse, a 15th century bladed weapon), you're going to jail, and at your trial, the jury will convict you for having poor judgement and/or being a person that spoiled for a fight. If computer forensics dredges up your old posts showing how you salivated at the thought of beating the hell out of someone with something, then that can be used as evidence and will do your case so favours.

Then there is the matter of retention and storage. Whenever you commit to owning a weapon(s), be sure to properly lock them away when not in use, and practice how to keep them out of the hands of those that would use them against you and yours. An overconfident budo mindset of "no one can break my ninja grip!!!!" doesn't apply when you have more than two weapons or assailants.

Just something to think about whenever you decide to act on an interest in a potentially lethal hobby.

You've got valid and worthwhile points about storage and retention.

Vulcan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It depends entirely on the circumstances and threat that the person faces.

Re-read my post (I left out rules of engagement), and you're right. But it does not depend on threat, it depends on state laws. Thankfully we both live in the south where we have the right to defend ourselves. Other states, not so much.

I would still recommend refraining from the katana, as it would be a tough sell to a jury in any part of the Union.

jks said:
You've got valid and worthwhile points about storage and retention.

Thanks. Someone else suggested I was a troll in another thread. What a way to welcome a new member.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
They call the staff the father of all weapons for a reason. Start there and it`ll give you a background for the rest of your weapons later.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Re-read my post (I left out rules of engagement), and you're right. But it does not depend on threat, it depends on state laws. Thankfully we both live in the south where we have the right to defend ourselves. Other states, not so much.
What States in the U.S. do not recognize Disparity of Force?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Vulcan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What States in the U.S. do not recognize Disparity of Force?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Kirk,

I was referring to the laws concerning duty to retreat and deadly force.

These specifically state when and why you can use a weapon. Check you state laws for specific clauses and the castle exception.

-James

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kirk,

I was referring to the laws concerning duty to retreat and deadly force.

These specifically state when and why you can use a weapon. Check you state laws for specific clauses and the castle exception.

-James
Then there's something missing. You can certainly deploy a weapon and deadly force under the appropriate threat. Duty to Retreat is negated by immediate threat.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I say nunchaku. Greatest challenge. Save you a bunch of mistakes with the other weapons down the road. Stick is basic, simple as it is deep. Definately stick is the bomb.. i mean since everything in this world is a just a kind of sword, may as well try different kinds.

j

Vulcan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Then there's something missing. You can certainly deploy a weapon and deadly force under the appropriate threat. Duty to Retreat is negated by immediate threat.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

What is missing is the inclusion of past cases where the jury convicted the person defending themselves due to what was seen as excessive use of force (overkill) or failure to retreat (not sure what you mean by "negated by immediate threat".

I feel that a disclaimer and reminder of the law as it regards to unregistered lethal weapons used for any other purpose than collector/hobby is prudent.

[quote = Wikipedia]As to carrying weapons in anticipation of an attack, Evans v Hughes (1972) 3 A ER 412 held that for a defendant to justify his possession of a metal bar on a public highway, he had to show that there was an imminent particular threat affecting the particular circumstances in which the weapon was carried. Similarly, in Taylor v Mucklow (1973) CLR 750 a building owner was held to be using an unreasonable degree of force in carrying a loaded airgun against a builder who was demolishing a new extension because his bills were unpaid. More dramatically, in AG's Reference (No 2 of 1983) (1984) 1 AER 988 Lane CJ. held that a defendant who manufactured ten petrol bombs to defend his shop during the Toxteth riots could set up the defence of showing that he possessed an explosive substance "for a lawful purpose" if he could establish that he was acting in self-defence to protect himself or his family or property against an imminent and apprehended attack by means which he believed to be no more than reasonably necessary to meet the attack[/quote]

So, you see the problem that exists as to when you can carry and use anything other than a registered weapon for self defense, and even then you can expect a jury to wonder why you were in a situation so dangerous that you had to train and use archaic blunt or sharpened weapons. That is a rare case indeed. As it was said, the bat should be kept with gloves and a ball.

But I would recommend leaving the nunchucku, bo staff, and katana at home.

Besides, there is a greater chance that you will get struck with lighting or eaten by a shark than needing deadly force to escape a threating situation in this lifetime. The key is to not get in one in the first place. If you are in one you can't escape, then your life has some darker parts to it than the average person, and you should be carrying a registered firearm and have 911 on speed dial at that point.