What weapons does everyone do?

B

blackbeltedbeauty

Hey I was wondering who did what weapon and how long you've been doing each. I do Chinese fans, the bo staff, the 9 section whip chain, and the sai. :whip:

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow- looks like you have quite a range there.......how do you like the fans? I have never seen anyone doing anything like that- I bet it would be fun to watch- do you do katas and such?

My only experiece with weapons is about 2 1/2 years of Arnis (Filipino stick fighting) and now I am dabbling in some Doce Pares. I have also learned the bo kata from my Kenpo studies and played around some with nunchaukus (sp?)

:asian: :karate:

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
my school has three weapons that we teach, sword, staff, and nunchaku but there is not much emphasis on weapons...we are a taekwondo school, the weapons are just supplementary..and a change was just made so only black belt and above could study weapons because they wanted students to focus and develop taekwondo skills before they begin expanding

OP
B

blackbeltedbeauty

The fans are beautiful but surprisingly hard to keep open. I have 2 black fans, one with a dragon and one with a pheonix. I don't do kata, I freestyle it.:)

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
also, in my jujutsu class is based primarily on kaisho goshin budo jujutsu/taihojutsu, (tokyo police self-defense martial art jujutsu) we work with batons or short sticks for arrest and control methods...

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As part of Shaolin kung fu, I learned bo and butterfly knives. I don't claim to know katana, but through Kendo I learned some of the basics of Japanese sword technique.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
6+ yrs. of Arnis, so that is where I get the majority of my stick and knife work. Have also worked with the Bo staff. Played a little with the sais, broadsword, and chucks, but nothing too in-depth.

Mike

OP
A

AnimEdge

In class we generaly do: Sword, Bo, Jo, Claws, Kubaton and Knife
Outside though and sometimes in class is Nunchuku, Tonfa and some others.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
From my little bit of dabbling in Filipino MA, I've learned some of the basics of the stick and the knife. I've also got some experience with the foil, but I hesitate to actually call that a weapon. Oh yeah, and I've played around nunchuks (without hurting myself, amazingly enough).

OP
T

ThatWasAKick

Kubaton. Nunchaku. Would like to learn escrima next.

hehe The guys at Big-O Tires never remember me but they always recognize my keychain!

(Does anyone have any suggestions for a good demo video for nunchaku? Sensei can't take me any farther with them and I'd like something to train off of that will give me pointers for a flashy presentation for doing demos for the school.)

BushidoUK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In our style we learn:-
Bokken and katana
Jo and bo
tonfa
yawarra and kubaton
handbo

though the only requirement is a student has to learn one of these for their 1st kyu grade before black belt. If they want to learn more its optional.

OP
S

sifu nick

bo staff, kama, and now just starting to learn on the katana.

OP
A

AaronLucia

Let's see..

We use... shuriken, katana, wakizashi, bo, hanbo, kusarifundo, kama, tessen (iron fan), kyoketsu shoge, kunai and i think there is more..but i can't think of anymore off hand.

OP
L

LadyDragon

I've done a lot of knife work, and some staff work, I've also used escrima, kubotan and I've learned a little bit of sai and nunchaku (sp). But I'm really interested in learning how to use a sword.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Standard 4 in CMA... sword, knife, staff, spear plus the others that are inherent to my style... fan, butterfly swords, kwandao, daggers, double swords, exotic long weapons....

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Primary:

Single Stick
Stick and Dagger
Double Stick
Dagger
Balisong
Pens

Secondary:

Sword Long:
Katana
Celtic / English
Charlemaign Replica
Boken as impact weapon

Sword Short:
Wakazashi
Celtic

Knives:
Various Folders

Scarf for Choking and Trapping

Staff for understanding of large two handed weapons

Now to explain the list. I train in Filipino Martial Arts. I also make a difference betwen a Dagger and Knife, not just for blade construction, yet for size. I find it hard to get a knife that fits my hand well, that I would actually use, unless it is bigger. i.e The Balisong I prefer is over 7 inches closed and open is arouns 13 inches. The other blades I mentioned are all blades I own and train with, for my own education, and just because I enjoy it. The Scarf I use in the winters, and used it while I was a bouncer. It also puts people more at ease when they see a large guy wearing a scar and or ear muffs in the winter. LIttle did they know the first was armor for the ears and latter was a weapon ;).

I also broke them down into Primary and Secondary, for areas where I feel more comfortable. For example, since I have not worked the scarf in while (* I know what I will be working on the next couple of weeks to refresh *) it is secondary.

I also listed Pens as a primary weapons. If anyone has been out with me, they know I almost always carry a pen or two with me. Not only is it nice to get a womans' phone number, it also is good for impact and compliance use. I realize they are not as good as the palm sticks for durability, yet, I can take them anywhere with me. :)

Enjoy your training
:asian:

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
ok...ok I am going to tell you what I know.......I learn TONFA and JO

Tonfa- Because i was thinking about being a Cop after collage and well I need o know how to use a nightstick well.

Jo- two reasons.....1) Its was the weapion the defeated the Samuri
2) If i learn he jo well enough i can get the point where I can just pick up any stick and go with it....(if the situation arises) I.E. bar fight (Pool sticks)....Work (Broom stick)

Now I wanna know why a lot of people (well at least the people who posted haven't ever tried the Tonfa.....It was my very first weapion.....Give me u guy's pros and cons on the Tonfa for me

OP
A

AaronLucia

No reason to not train with the Tonfa..if it can be used as a weapon..train with it!