What was your original motivation?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wanted to learn self-defense. I attained that goal fairly early on, albeit at a very crude and physical level, and fortunately I realized there was much more to the martial arts that I wanted to explore. 25+ years later I am still going strong and I now teach to give back and to make sure the methods my teacher taught me are passed on.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I suppose the real question I'm asking is why train martial arts if not to learn self-defense? The world is full of danger, I'm not sure why you would train and not learn how to defend yourself, as thats what martial arts was originally "made" to do.

You mean like why would people train in Iaido, kenjutsu, kyudo, etc.? ;)

Personally, I started training when I was 10 as something to do with my dad. My instructor didn't have a seperate program for kids so we did everything the adults did, the only exception being in breaking really. It was such a great time that I quite shortly after my first promotion test. Who knew there was going to be so much work?

I started classes again when I was 15 because a friend of mine was in judo and I thought "If he can do that I can certainly do a martial art." So back to Taekwon-Do I went. I suppose my motivation at the time was to learn how to fight. I didn't want to be a "bad *ss" of anything. I just thought the martial arts movies I had seen were cool (despite bad acting, dumb stories and dubbing). The fight scenes in many of them just really fascinated me. Defending myself was a consideration but it was also being able just to do that stuff. Seeing the black belts spar or do patterns in class after returning made me amazed. They were excellent.

These days I train for self-defense, to become a better person and because I love Taekwon-Do. I wouldn't say it's fun, but I do like it.

I read a book by Dave Lowry about his experiences training in Yagyu Shinkage Ryu and his sensei tells him when he is accepted as a student "more is expected of a bugeisha." A martial artist should be aiming to excel in every aspect of their lives.

Pax,

Chris

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I suppose the real question I'm asking is why train martial arts if not to learn self-defense? The world is full of danger, I'm not sure why you would train and not learn how to defend yourself, as thats what martial arts was originally "made" to do.

Curious, how old are you and how long have you trained?

We learn MA because it is about personal growth and bettering ourselves. It can take many years, if not decades to come to this understanding.

Everything we do does not have to have a practical purpose. Why do so many adults participate in recreational sports? Or hobbies? It keeps our minds and our bodies busy, and we generally become better people for it.

Yes the world is dangerous, but it’s not as bad as you may think. Stay away from the bad parts of town, don’t go to certain bars, watch what’s going on around you, don’t take stupid risks, and you’ll probably never need to use your MA. I myself haven’t hit anyone since fourth grade!

Iaido, jodo, kenjitsu and niten has taught me much about timing and distancing with an opponent. A great many of the techniques we learn, can be simply applied without a sword or a jo in our hands, it’s not difficult.

When I strike with my jo, or a broom stick, or a piece of 1x1 lumber laying around, I will break bones and cause you all sorts of nasty problems. Do not underestimate the “archaic” arts.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
.... no comment on DL.....

Why not? I'd love to hear what you think about him.

I certainly don't think he, or Draeger, or the Skosses or any of the other koryu types are "gods" but I do find him to be an excellent writer (a skill oh so lacking in so many martial arts publications).

Pax,

Chris

OP
Wey

Wey

Green Belt
Reaction score
Curious, how old are you and how long have you trained?

We learn MA because it is about personal growth and bettering ourselves. It can take many years, if not decades to come to this understanding.

Everything we do does not have to have a practical purpose. Why do so many adults participate in recreational sports? Or hobbies? It keeps our minds and our bodies busy, and we generally become better people for it.

Yes the world is dangerous, but it’s not as bad as you may think. Stay away from the bad parts of town, don’t go to certain bars, watch what’s going on around you, don’t take stupid risks, and you’ll probably never need to use your MA. I myself haven’t hit anyone since fourth grade!

Iaido, jodo, kenjitsu and niten has taught me much about timing and distancing with an opponent. A great many of the techniques we learn, can be simply applied without a sword or a jo in our hands, it’s not difficult.

When I strike with my jo, or a broom stick, or a piece of 1x1 lumber laying around, I will break bones and cause you all sorts of nasty problems. Do not underestimate the “archaic” arts.

I'm 19 and I've been training for two years now.

Perhaps I came off wrong, I did not mean to insult or relay the idea of the mental or spiritual aspects of martial arts being unimportant or obsolete. In fact, I'm a strong believer in the mental aspect of training martial arts.

I do suppose its not necessarily what you learn, but how you apply it. Pardon my ignorance. =]

I'm a traditional martial artist as well, btw.

Clint Franklin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My "original" motivation would likely be self-defense. My "real" motivation...

When I was younger, I saw martial arts as a way of fighting. Now I see it as a way of life. The more I observed and learned about it, the more obvious it became that martial arts is more than fighting. It's about conditioning and strengthening the mind, body, and spirit.

I simply got tired of being a victim of my own lifestyle. I have to take control of my life. I may not be able to control every aspect of it, but I can stop being a victim of myself.

So, self-defense was my original motivation, but today, my motivation is to not be a victim.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why not? I'd love to hear what you think about him.

I certainly don't think he, or Draeger, or the Skosses or any of the other koryu types are "gods" but I do find him to be an excellent writer (a skill oh so lacking in so many martial arts publications).

Pax,

Chris

Lets just say he's an entertaining writer.

Dig into his Koryu back ground a bit, tell me what you find.

I actually like Draeger, he's not a god by any means but I like him.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm 19 and I've been training for two years now.

Perhaps I came off wrong, I did not mean to insult or relay the idea of the mental or spiritual aspects of martial arts being unimportant or obsolete. In fact, I'm a strong believer in the mental aspect of training martial arts.

I do suppose its not necessarily what you learn, but how you apply it. Pardon my ignorance. =]

I'm a traditional martial artist as well, btw.

No worries, I certainly wasn't offended.

Lets be honest, for many people MA is a hobby, a good one, but still just a hobby.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lets just say he's an entertaining writer.

Oh, he's an excellent writer. Most of the stuff I read in MA magazines are really poorly written, but Lowry has a real knack for making prose interesting.

Dig into his Koryu back ground a bit, tell me what you find.

The only thing I know is that he studied Yagyu Shinkage Ryu. I don't know what certificates he received or anything. I don't even know what he claims as far as that is concerned. Come to think of it I don't think I've ever read anything by him saying what licenses he's received or anything.

Do you have any information about this? I'd be interested in knowing. I know the people over at koryu.com publish his stuff and they don't seem like they'd put out things from questionable sources.

I actually like Draeger, he's not a god by any means but I like him.

Oh, he's great. I just find it annoying when people take him to be the end all authority on martial arts. I've got several of his books and have read the ones he did with an early JKA master whose name escapes me at the moment. He was another very good author.

Pax,

Chris

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh, he's an excellent writer. Most of the stuff I read in MA magazines are really poorly written, but Lowry has a real knack for making prose interesting.

The only thing I know is that he studied Yagyu Shinkage Ryu. I don't know what certificates he received or anything. I don't even know what he claims as far as that is concerned. Come to think of it I don't think I've ever read anything by him saying what licenses he's received or anything.

Do you have any information about this? I'd be interested in knowing. I know the people over at koryu.com publish his stuff and they don't seem like they'd put out things from questionable sources.

Oh, he's great. I just find it annoying when people take him to be the end all authority on martial arts. I've got several of his books and have read the ones he did with an early JKA master whose name escapes me at the moment. He was another very good author.

Pax,

Chris

It’s the Skosses over at Koryu.com still right?

I don’t know if it was on Kendo world or E budo but many people questioned DL’s linage. The JSA community is very small, and no one, as far as I know, knew who his YSR Sensei was. In fact practitioners of YSR, if I remember correctly, said he had never practiced with them. I have no idea as to the validity of any of the claims.

I’ve never seen and I’ve never heard of anyone actually seeing him swing a sword, so who knows? I’d actually like to see something of the like, if anyone has a video.

I’ve read a couple of his books back when I started and found them entertaining at the time. Now after years of practice I’d probably consider them to be fluff.

I’m sure we can all find someone more then happy to criticize our sensei’s or our linage’s. To each their own.

Not flogging it to be sure, but have you tried reading the iaido journal? http://ejmas.com/tin/tinframe.htm Some good practical articles over there.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Self-defense. I live in a very sketchy neighborhood and the last straw was the creepy guy on the corner who "sweet talked" me every time I went anywhere near that intersection. There was an edge to his voice that left no doubt that he was the real deal.

He's out of the picture now since his sentencing :shooter: but I just really love the MA intrinsically. It's a hell of a lot of fun. The SD aspect is never far from my mind because I'm still living on that street, but I consider that an asset to my training because it keeps me focused. I don't ever want to give it up, even after I move. I'm still considering a move out of state - as long as I'm moving anyway - and I'm actually factoring in the presence of Systema in my options for a new hometown. I'm happy to find that it's more common than I thought.

jonbey

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
For me it was to learn to fight like Jackie Chan! Sounds silly, but my first introduction to kung-fu was when Channel 4 (UK) showed a series of Jackie Chan films (Wheels on Meals, Dragons Forever, some earlier ones) in 1992. I went to Uni that year and decided to find a kung-fu club. Found a Hung Kuen 5 Animals school (Malaysian, high kicking, leaping around style, not the close in southern style). Love it. Taking a break for family at the moment, but hope to get back to learning kung-fu again soon.

Now my goal is really to get fit and stay in shape. I feel I am too old to compete (OK, only 35, but I feel old some days!) and have started to question why I need to learn a tradition martial art. So ultimately now, exercise and fun.

EIH888

White Belt
Reaction score
My original reason was the movie "Bloodsport" hahaha... and that's still my motivation. "someday I'll enter the kumite and make my father pround" even though I am not Japanese, I am not a Tanaka.

kidding, (even thought that is still one of my favorite movies of all time) growing up, I've become more interested in the inner cultivation side of the arts...

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
It’s the Skosses over at Koryu.com still right?

Yep.

I don’t know if it was on Kendo world or E budo but many people questioned DL’s linage. The JSA community is very small, and no one, as far as I know, knew who his YSR Sensei was. In fact practitioners of YSR, if I remember correctly, said he had never practiced with them. I have no idea as to the validity of any of the claims.

Interesting. I haven't seen anything like that on e-budo, although I don't hang out there on a regular basis. Maybe I'll have to do a search on that.

I’ve never seen and I’ve never heard of anyone actually seeing him swing a sword, so who knows? I’d actually like to see something of the like, if anyone has a video.

I haven't seen a video but there's an interesting write up of a seminar he gave which you can read here: http://www.chito-ryu.com/newsletter/summer05.pdf

During the seminar he gives demonstrations of both Shinto Muso Ryu and Yagyu Shinkage Ryue.

I’ve read a couple of his books back when I started and found them entertaining at the time. Now after years of practice I’d probably consider them to be fluff.

Interesting. I have no experience in the koryu because of there being none available in my location (at least none that I have been able to find) so I'd be very grateful for some suggestions of authors you consider to be good reads.

I’m sure we can all find someone more then happy to criticize our sensei’s or our linage’s. To each their own.

Heh, true enough.

Not flogging it to be sure, but have you tried reading the iaido journal?
http://ejmas.com/tin/tinframe.htm Some good practical articles over there.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Pax,

Chris

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
[/color][/font][/size]

Yep.

Interesting. I haven't seen anything like that on e-budo, although I don't hang out there on a regular basis. Maybe I'll have to do a search on that.

I haven't seen a video but there's an interesting write up of a seminar he gave which you can read here: http://www.chito-ryu.com/newsletter/summer05.pdf

During the seminar he gives demonstrations of both Shinto Muso Ryu and Yagyu Shinkage Ryue.

Interesting. I have no experience in the koryu because of there being none available in my location (at least none that I have been able to find) so I'd be very grateful for some suggestions of authors you consider to be good reads.

Heh, true enough.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Pax,

Chris

Thanks for the link, that’s the first I heard of DL moving outside his dojo. If you ever hear of him giving a seminar, let me know, I’d love to attend. Thankfully my sensei encourages us to move and train everywhere and with everyone. I have access to three 7th dans within an hour of me, so I’m going to be taking advantage of that this fall as need to be sharp this year.

Books?? I don’t remember the last MA book I read, I read mostly history books.

He does SMR jo?? That’s interesting, so do I, as well as some SMR kenjitsu. Though my koryu iai is MJER and Seitei iai. Throw in some seitei jo and some Niten and I’m a mess…..:)

I know its 300 miles but anytime you want to train with us, you and anyone else on the forum for that matter, you’re more then welcome. Let me know if you want to come up. We do a seminar in May you may be interested in. http://www.uoguelph.ca/~iaido/iai.seminar.html

There’s nothing down your way? http://www.auskf.info/index.htm

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, that’s the first I heard of DL moving outside his dojo. If you ever hear of him giving a seminar, let me know, I’d love to attend. Thankfully my sensei encourages us to move and train everywhere and with everyone. I have access to three 7th dans within an hour of me, so I’m going to be taking advantage of that this fall as need to be sharp this year.

I'm fortunate to have an instructor with similar views. He's a VII dan in Taekwon-Do and tells me about many seminars his seniors offer that I'd find interesting or worth attending. Heck, there have been a couple times where's he's told me about them and basically said, "I'll see you there."

Books?? I don’t remember the last MA book I read, I read mostly history books.

Heh, as I mentioned before, most martial arts authors leave a bit to be desired in the prose department. Most of the martial arts stuf I read on the technical aspects is limited to my own style of Taekwon-Do. I do like reading stuff on the historical and philosophical aspects of the MA's. The quality of this, too, however, varies greatly depending on the author I have found. Ad speaking as someone who has read a lot of philosophy due to my academic area I have to say what passes for "philosophy" in a lot of MA publications is meh.

He does SMR jo?? That’s interesting, so do I, as well as some SMR kenjitsu. Though my koryu iai is MJER and Seitei iai. Throw in some seitei jo and some Niten and I’m a mess…..:)

I'd be very interested in asking you some questions regarding Niten Ichiryu, if you don't mind. I can either send you a PM or start a new thread. They'd be complete newbie questions so be forewarned.

I know its 300 miles but anytime you want to train with us, you and anyone else on the forum for that matter, you’re more then welcome. Let me know if you want to come up. We do a seminar in May you may be interested in.

Thanks for the invite. Out of curiosity, how much iai/batto jutsu experience would one need to attend? Not to prevent from looking like an idiot :) , just to attend?

There’s nothing down your way?

Last I knew there was one kendo club at the University of Pittsburgh but no kenjutsu.

There's also one gentleman in town who seems to have split from a koryu to do his own thing. I have steered clear of him.

Pax,

Chris

Last edited:

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm fortunate to have an instructor with similar views. He's a VII dan in Taekwon-Do and tells me about many seminars his seniors offer that I'd find interesting or worth attending. Heck, there have been a couple times where's he's told me about them and basically said, "I'll see you there."

Heh, as I mentioned before, most martial arts authors leave a bit to be desired in the prose department. Most of the martial arts stuf I read on the technical aspects is limited to my own style of Taekwon-Do. I do like reading stuff on the historical and philosophical aspects of the MA's. The quality of this, too, however, varies greatly depending on the author I have found. Ad speaking as someone who has read a lot of philosophy due to my academic area I have to say what passes for "philosophy" in a lot of MA publications is meh.

I'd be very interested in asking you some questions regarding Niten Ichiryu, if you don't mind. I can either send you a PM or start a new thread. They'd be complete newbie questions so be forewarned.

Thanks for the invite. Out of curiosity, how much iai/batto jutsu experience would one need to attend? Not to prevent from looking like an idiot :) , just to attend?

Last I knew there was one kendo club at the University of Pittsburgh but no kenjutsu.

There's also one gentleman in town who seems to have split from a koryu to do his own thing. I have steered clear of him.

Pax,

Chris

Whatever you’re comfortable with, here, PM or a new thread works fine.

We’ve had many folks show up with zero experience, then after three days of practice, they pick it up pretty quickly. Ideally, it’s like anything else, some experience, even a little, will go a long way to making the seminar more enjoyable. Not having to worry about what hand goes where and all.

I wouldn’t write off the Koryu guy just yet. See what he does and where he came from, who knows it might be fine. Do you have any information on him?

thecrow

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
for me, i watched the martial arts movies and fell in love with it, it just grabbed my heart, i was 12 and the perfect weapon had just come out and so naturally i wanted to study kenpo, but there were no kenpo schools where i was, and i wanted a good teacher, and did not find one, i moved around a lot but it wasn't until i was 21 and moved to hollywood CA, that i found my teacher, he was 76 at the time, now 86, i never dreamed i would have ties to kenpo the way i do, but it was worth the wait, and training is everything i thought it would be, i can't really explain why i love it, there are to many reasons to pick one.

Latest Discussions