How you develop your skills?

Benoitt

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Their is already good books around effective self defense technics. However, my goal is to be more focused toward self-development through martial arts. How to motivate yourself? How to gain confidence? How muscle memories makes your training effective? How to control yourself? All that kind of question that really apply to every martial arts and even sports. However, I am teaching it through Kenpo. I am planning of giving away for free alot of great video (almost every day would be nice ).

I am asking everybody here. What questions do you think will be interesting to answer? I will keep this very open-mided.

Benoit

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The way to gain all that is to practice and to keep practicing.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is easy said but hardly done ;)

Which is why most people quit fairly early in MA.

How to motivate yourself?
-Remind yourself how good you feel after a class.

How to gain confidence?
-Train often, keep testing yourself. Spar with partners that scare you a bit. Ask questions.

How muscle memories makes your training effective?
-Slow down. Drill, drill and drill some more. Train a little bit every day. Don`t leave your brain at the dojo door.

How to control yourself?
-With dicipline, relaxation and confidence.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Call me old fashioned, but I just try to train as much as possible. :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Their is already good books around effective self defense technics. However, my goal is to be more focused toward self-development through martial arts. How to motivate yourself? How to gain confidence? How muscle memories makes your training effective? How to control yourself? All that kind of question that really apply to every martial arts and even sports. However, I am teaching it through Kenpo. I am planning of giving away for free alot of great video (almost every day would be nice ).

I am asking everybody here. What questions do you think will be interesting to answer? I will keep this very open-mided.

Benoit

IMO, for me, its pretty simple.....keep training! I love the arts, I love training and I love to learn. If you're serious about your training, if the people you're training with are serious about things as well, then IMO, it shouldn't be that difficult to stay motivated as well as reaping all of the other benefits that come along with training.

There are no magical answers. There are no books, tapes or dvds that will instill this into someone. If training alone can't improve those things, then there is no book that will either. Again, its up to the person.

OP
B

Benoitt

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

I probably badly asked my question, but you guys are right for that. If you love martial arts, you'll keep practicing. I was only giving some examples, but they aren't maybe that good. I was only wondering what is your questions about self defense outside the technical stuff?

Alot of people are asking for stuff like adrenaline dump, the legal aspect in a fight, the post conflict trauma, etc. The kind of question that aren't already covered by alot of books.

Thanks
Benoit

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT!!

As for self-defense outside of your chosen art form, I've found that The training naturally produces greater situational awareness as a byproduct of putting in time around the dojo. A lot of this has to do with the physical awareness I develop in training - who's standing close to me and what they're doing, for instance. This naturally translates when I'm going about my day, and it's helped me be more intelligent in my actions. I tend to avoid dark shadows better than I did before, and notice who might have their eye on me.

There's also the self-confidence factor. As my skills increase and I can hold my own in the dojo I'm less worried about my safety in the day-to-day. That self-confidence makes me much less attractive to a potential predator. That, and since I know I can hold my own I'm less likely to chicken out in the face of an attack because I've been tried and tested more times than I can count.

You can get all the belts and accolades in the world, but there's no substitute for awareness and self-confidence in defending yourself. :ultracool

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nobody ever wants the real answer. I understand, because I don't want it either. The only way to get good at karate is repetition. Everything you are asking about, confidence, discipline, muscle memory, it's all a product if repetition. Yes visualization. Yes meditation. Yes ritual and positive self talk and preframing. But the reality is that you develop a physical skill, whether it's karate or cosmetology or playing the drums, through diligent study and consistent practice.

There is no short cut that bypasses time on the training floor.

The answer is always "train more."

-Rob

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Benoit

Hi Benoit (out of interest, one or two "t's"?),

I'm going to ask a question here, and please try not to get offended by it. Is English your native tongue? The reason I'm asking is that you're talking about a book, yet your posts are riddled with gramatical errors (I'm counting about 15+ in the short above post alone, and more in your responces). While I'm not doubting your sincerity, or your understanding or knowledge of your art, your writing ability may need looking at. An editor will help, but you may look at making it a joint project with a more seasoned writer. Of course, if this book is not in English, this may all be moot.

Okay, that said, let's get to your question.

Hi,

I probably badly asked my question, but you guys are right for that. If you love martial arts, you'll keep practicing. I was only giving some examples, but they aren't maybe that good. I was only wondering what is your questions about self defense outside the technical stuff?

Alot of people are asking for stuff like adrenaline dump, the legal aspect in a fight, the post conflict trauma, etc. The kind of question that aren't already covered by alot of books.

Thanks
Benoit

There are reasons for such things. Adrenaline effects are covered in many self defence books and DVDs, such as Geoff Thompsons, and of course Rory Miller's Meditations On Violence. Same goes for the psuchological aspects. In terms of legalities, they will vary from place to place (state to state, and country to country), so covering those in a book form would probably be unadvisable unless specifically stating it is for a certain location. I've read a number of books on things such as real estate advice where certain taxation laws are just for the US, and don't apply in Australia. Something to consider.

maft

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
How to motivate yourself? How to gain confidence? How muscle memories makes your training effective? How to control yourself?

Hey,

Motivation - think of outcome after training, also if you love martial arts , motivation should come naturally

Confidence - comes with more learned skills, so more practice

Muscle memory - practice, practice, practice

Control - mental game, meditate

Works for me, hope it helps.

Cheers,

maft