Losing Motivation

JRMFFL531

White Belt
Reaction score
Greetings from Abilene, TX. I started my martial arts journey 7 years ago. I’m losing motivation because every time I get comfortable with an instructor they move away. I originally started in Tang Soo and then started in Goju. All that’s left in my town is TKD and BJJ. Neither of those interest me/or I’m limited by injuries. I’ve considered training online but I do better in a group setting and value the social piece. Does anyone have some wise words?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is there anything within driving distance, that might be a bit farther out? You might need to be willing to travel a bit farther if nothing is close by. I would encourage that option over online training, which I simply do not believe in, at least not as the primary or initial mode of instruction.

OP
JRMFFL531

JRMFFL531

White Belt
Reaction score
Is there anything within driving distance, that might be a bit farther out? You might need to be willing to travel a bit farther if nothing is close by. I would encourage that option over online training, which I simply do not believe in, at least not as the primary or initial mode of instruction.
I am looking at Hapkido school after 75 minutes away. I’m retired anyway so I have time. Haha.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Have you given the TKD and BJJ schools a try? Maybe you find they do interest you when you actually train, instead of based on what you've seen online.

OP
JRMFFL531

JRMFFL531

White Belt
Reaction score
Have you given the TKD and BJJ schools a try? Maybe you find they do interest you when you actually train, instead of based on what you've seen online.
I’ve tried the TKD class. My son trains there. I’m retired military with a spinal cord injury. So I am trying to limit the amount of kicking. And BJJ looks to painful. Lol. I was really enjoying Goju.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’ve tried the TKD class. My son trains there. I’m retired military with a spinal cord injury. So I am trying to limit the amount of kicking. And BJJ looks to painful. Lol. I was really enjoying Goju.
That makes sense. I wouldn't want to do BJJ with a back injury either, since half the art is on your back.

OP
JRMFFL531

JRMFFL531

White Belt
Reaction score
That makes sense. I wouldn't want to do BJJ with a back injury either, since half the art is on your back.
I need to find something. There is JKD about 40 minutes from here. I may try that. No crazy high kicking and low stances from my understanding.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I need to find something. There is JKD about 40 minutes from here. I may try that. No crazy high kicking and low stances from my understanding.
Maybe find an activity that isn't martial arts, but is closer?

OP
JRMFFL531

JRMFFL531

White Belt
Reaction score
Maybe find an activity that isn't martial arts, but is closer?
Thought about it. But not for very long. lol. I always wanted to earn at black belt. I still do. Even at 40.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings from Abilene, TX. I started my martial arts journey 7 years ago. I’m losing motivation because every time I get comfortable with an instructor they move away. I originally started in Tang Soo and then started in Goju. All that’s left in my town is TKD and BJJ. Neither of those interest me/or I’m limited by injuries. I’ve considered training online but I do better in a group setting and value the social piece. Does anyone have some wise words?
I would recommend BJJ having been sucked into it myself. If you enjoy social interactio, it’s definitely worth a go. The gyms almost always have a really friendly environment, and chilling with the friends you make there and rolling or drilling every now and then during an open mat is an unmatched and pleasant experience.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thought about it. But not for very long. lol. I always wanted to earn at black belt. I still do. Even at 40.
Most JKD systems, as I understand it, do not use belt ranks.

OP
JRMFFL531

JRMFFL531

White Belt
Reaction score
Most JKD systems, as I understand it, do not use belt ranks.
I think you’re right. But moving on from the thought of a black belt would be something I would have to accept to train JKD for sure.

OP
JRMFFL531

JRMFFL531

White Belt
Reaction score
I would recommend BJJ having been sucked into it myself. If you enjoy social interactio, it’s definitely worth a go. The gyms almost always have a really friendly environment, and chilling with the friends you make there and rolling or drilling every now and then during an open mat is an unmatched and pleasant experience.
I’m not very flexible. The thought of being rolled up is terrifying. Haha.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I think you’re right. But moving on from the thought of a black belt would be something I would have to accept to train JKD for sure.

Eventually you can get to a level where they say you canteach. I have never seen a belt rank used in JKD, but that is not to say someone is not using one somewhere. And no, there are no crazy high kicks or low stances. But it can still be hard training. Go check it out and see how you feel, that is all I can say.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have back problem and I cannot kick high also. In fact I injured my back last week and looking for a doctor right now. If I were you, I'd go with BJJ, just start slow, let them know your condition so they go easy on you.

I am not familiar with the two you practiced, they sound like striking art. BJJ is proven to be very effective. Not for anything, you'll go a long long way just learning the take down defense.

Definitely not TKD. I had a few years in TKD, that's what injured my back. TKD has a lot of kicks particular high kicks, there's definitely a ceiling if you cannot kick high or kick too much. It's very hard on the back, I am a victim of TKD.

I would not drive an hour to class, I would just compromise and go to BJJ...........Hell, it's NOT a compromise in my book. It is about the most effective MA.

You look into non traditional ones like MMA? UFC gym seems to be popular, we have one like 5 min drive from me. They have classes. Or you only want traditional martial arts?

Last edited:
OP
JRMFFL531

JRMFFL531

White Belt
Reaction score
I have back problem and I cannot kick high also. In fact I injured my back last week and looking for a doctor right now. If I were you, I'd go with BJJ, just start slow, let them know your condition so they go easy on you.

I am not familiar with the two you practiced, they sound like striking art. BJJ is proven to be very effective. Not for anything, you'll go a long long way just learning the take down defense.

Definitely not TKD. I had a few years in TKD, that's what injured my back. TKD has a lot of kicks particular high kicks, there's definitely a ceiling if you cannot kick high or kick too much. It's very hard on the back, I am a victim of TKD.

I would not drive an hour to class, I would just compromise and go to BJJ...........Hell, it's NOT a compromise in my book. It is about the most effective MA.

You look into non traditional ones like MMA? UFC gym seems to be popular, we have one like 5 min drive from me. They have classes. Or you only want traditional martial arts?
Man, I’m sorry about your back. I had spinal stimulator put in back in December. It’s a life saver.

I’ve tried Kuk Sool Won for a few months. Then I did Tang Soo Doo for a couple years and my master moved away suddenly. And after all my back issues I wanted to train. So I’m currently studying Goju. Way less kicking. Well now my current instructor is moving so I’m looking again. I’m in a small town so options are limited. But I think I’m going to the Kajukenbo. Even less kicking. lol.

I hope your back feels better my friend.

Latest Discussions