What was your original motivation?

Wey

Green Belt
Reaction score
Upon reading some different threads on this large forum it occurred to me that people have/had different motives for training martial arts. I'm curious as to what your reason for training was. Parents made you, self-defense, competitions, wanting to do cool flips, learning to use a weapon, etc.? Additionally to that, have you kept with your original desires, or have you strayed to a different path for training?

I suppose the real question I'm asking is why train martial arts if not to learn self-defense? The world is full of danger, I'm not sure why you would train and not learn how to defend yourself, as thats what martial arts was originally "made" to do.

As for me, I originally saw an extreme martial arts team on the show "America's Got Talent" that sparked my interest. It wasn't an "extreme martial art" interest, but a self-defense interest. I used to do tournaments and such, but now have strayed away from that scene. Now I train strictly for self-defense purposes.

How about you?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Self-defense was part of my motivation, but not all of it. It had been something that I wanted to do for awhile, as well as improve my discipline and concentration.

However, I'll admit that what drove me to actually call some schools and get in to a program was a change at work that forced my groups in to regimented shifts with a mandatory 1 hour meal break where we had to be out of the wok area. The new arrangement bored me to tears, so I started looking for a place where I could train on my lunch break or after work. I found one and found a new employer shortly thereafter. ;)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
To crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentation of their women. :D

Actually a freind (in Jr High) was going to Jujutsu class and talked me into it.... but that was in a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I started as a kid.... i was younger than most of my friends growing up in Texas. i was also smaller. Didn't gte my size until puberty. Got beat up alot. Wanted to learn karate for self-defense...but if I'm being honest....it was more about revenge. Bullying the bullies.

Later, I got into Aikido. At first I wanted to learn those cool Aikido magic tricks. Do amazing things with ki. Later it became more about self-discipline, and self mastery as i learned to control my temper.

Now, at 38, it's still about self-defense....but that's a small part. A lot of it is about being helthy and gettign excercise, hanging out with like minded individuals and challenging myself to do thigns that I couldn't do before.

Who knows what my motivation will be in another 10 years....but I'm sure it will be different.

Peace,
Erik

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was on my to-do list. It just took me awhile to get to it.

I wanted to start exercising again, for my health and for my self-confidence.

I don't live in a wonderful neighborhood.

I know myself - I do things when I'm pushed, but not when I'm free to do or not do them as I choose. So I knew I needed the discipline of structured classes.

I wanted to enjoy a regimented and structured environment again. It keeps my beast under control.

There are some things that you have a limited window of opportunity to do. Certain choices we make and then we live with those - I will never be a sports hero or an astronaut. But I knew that even in my late 40's, I could still go back and get the martial arts training I should have been taking in my 20's. So I did and am continuing to do so.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was a late starter, looking for something to keep fit and something I could do with my son. I had a brief flirt with karate about 12 years earlier and thought it worth another go. Then it became a passion, or as my wife would probably say, an obsession.
icon11.gif

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As with a great many lads of a certain age, what got me into martial arts in the first place was seeing "Enter the Dragon". I was amazed to see that this little skinny bloke could really, truly, fight and I was interested to learn how to do the same.

Mind you, if it hadn't been for the friend I went to see the film with being much more enthused by it than me then I probably would never have started training ...

... and, in all seriousness, if I hadn't then I probably wouldn't be typing this!

Odd how the choices we make shape our lives isn't it?

Once a near fatal bike accident pretty much robbed me of my right arm, such that I couldn't do the Lau Gar I'd spent more than a decade training in, I began to cast about for something I could do. Nothing much made itself available. I flirted with the idea of Tai Chi as an art I could do 'one-handed' but back then I didn't appreciate fully that it really was a martial art and didn't pursue it.

I have ever had a passion for arms and armour and gradually my studies lead me in the direction of Japanese swordsmanship, something I'd briefly had contact with a long time ago but which hadn't seized my attention at that time.

The exactitude of technique, the necessity for perfect control and intense focus appealed to the older me like they had not to the 'young buck' and now I cannot imagine ever going without Iai :D.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well as a kid I wanted to emulate Bruce Lee. Did the MA thing for a while then Jr. high kicked in and football was more important. Once I hit college it was back to MA for a while, until the night clubs and girls kicked in.

Then my own kids were born and I got back into when my daughter started. Now it is me, my daughter and my son all doing it togeather. Plus I am the coach for our dojangs sparring team. Fun stuff.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Honestly? I just wanted a Black Belt. I had NO idea how much blood, toil, tears and sweat went into it...

nelsonkari

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You posed a great question and for once I'm speechless, wordless, whatver! I can't say that I really know other than a friend talked me into driving him to a kenpo class. I was 16 in 1968. My fate was sealed shortly afterwards.

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

My father started me out as at 8 years old. That was in the spring of 1969. I did not really have a choice. He forced me to take lessons with him in Kenpo Karate. That was in San Rafael, CA. I hated it at first.
Some time later caught the bug, and have been at it ever since. I am very thankful that my Dad made me start, and "encouraged" me to continue. :)
It has been a positive driving force throughout my life. It has, also, helped me through some rough times. There were many days I thought I would not have made it through without my training and the friendships the martial arts have given me.
Would I do it all, again, if I had a choice?
You bet... In a heart beat... A thousand fold! :)

Thank you,
Milt G.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I always wanted to learn a MA, preferably weapons. Then I noticed an article on a guy that offered Japanese sword smithing in my town. I went to meet him, found him training in iaido. Ten + years later I practice iaido, kenjitsu, jodo and sometimes niten. Like Sukerkin said, “ I can not imagine going without iai”

It’s funny iaido has a massive drop out rate, is almost completely useless in any practical way in our time, but it can become very addictive. My Sensei says watching iaido is like watching paint dry, I think he’s wrong, it’s like watching paint dry as you sit on a thorn bush…..but its fun.

If you ever for once think you’re something great, practice iaido, it’ll bring you down to earth quicker then gravity ever could.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, For myself? ....wanted to learn to fight back...and NOT lose..

Sure, gaining confidence was important, getting phycial fit, and self-devlopment...making new friends and friendships were also gotton...

Today...? "Teaching others is rewarding especially the "KIDS....Health is more important as you age....phycial fittness becomes a NEED..

Aloha,

MrE2Me2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Self defence was the primary reason for looking into it.

My original art was Greco Roman wrestling at the 'Y'.
From there I saw them practicing judo in a room behind the main gym.

An improperly applied inner thigh reap showed me how powerful a kick was.
So when I saw them practising Shotokan Karate in the other gym...I was hooked.

But it wasn't until I saw someone learning Kempo that I became totally dedicated.

The precision, flow...All of it...even today, I still captured by the arts.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I started training simply because I thought it was something I would enjoy doing and it could be a way to improve myself. Getting in shape and self defense were distant secondary reasons.

Of course I`ve always enjoyed Kung Fu movies too.

Msby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was in Sophmore year of high school. I felt that I was really inactive with my life and I didn't like most sports. I had pondered the idea of learning martial arts for awhile, so I began to research it. My first choice was Long Fist, but the nearest school was an hour away. My friend then introduced me to the Tae Kwon Do school he goes to, and it's been smooth sailing from there :]

Plus, I went to training for enough hours to count that as my PE class! I disliked PE enough for this to be a major motivation for me

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
To crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentation of their women. :D

Actually a freind (in Jr High) was going to Jujutsu class and talked me into it.... but that was in a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away.

Ahhhh.....that is what is GOOD in life! :mst:

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I started because I wanted to win friends and influence people.......or beat them up if it became necessary.

OP
Wey

Wey

Green Belt
Reaction score
You posed a great question and for once I'm speechless, wordless, whatver! I can't say that I really know other than a friend talked me into driving him to a kenpo class. I was 16 in 1968. My fate was sealed shortly afterwards.

I'm glad I... mentally stunned you! haha :D

Great answers everyone, keep them coming!

Latest Discussions