What to know about TKD

glitterflitter

White Belt
Reaction score
So, I want to start training TKD but I don't really know too much about it. I know that it focuses much on kicks and flexibility but I don't know anything else. I am neither strong or flexible but when I start doing something I put everything into it. What do I need to know before my first practise and what should I start preparing for now?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to know how to get from where you are, to the school. That's pretty much it.
After that... pay attention, and spend more time on the "boring" parts than you want to.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You need to know how to get from where you are, to the school. That's pretty much it.
After that... pay attention, and spend more time on the "boring" parts than you want to.
Funny but true.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
You might also consider investing in a bottle of ibuprofen as you will very likely be fairly sore the next day. :)

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I can see you doing very well as a Martial Artist. Strength and Flexibility can be trained, whereas attitude often cannot. You have the correct attitude towards training, and your strength and flexibility will naturally develop through training.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
The biggest thing in my view is to decide what it is that you want out of your training. Presuming you have options, that will help you decide where it is that you want to go. Also presuming that you went through some sort process to decide on TKD in the first place, I would suggest that it, like all MA's, is going to vary from one place to the next. Not all TKD schools are going to have the same focus.

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
Strength and flexibility will come with training. I'm fat, out of shape, and have been doing TKD for 4 months. I'm now less fat, stronger, more flexible, and have been almost completely cured of laziness. TKD is magic if you put in the effort.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Pay attention to who is teaching you. Is he some unfit sack who can't do eight push-ups, demands you address him as 사범님 with other disciplinary demands bordering religious, has no recorded experience in martial arts and hands out a black belt within seven months of attending class? Or the complete opposite? Taekwondo is awesome to learn but who teaches you is the most important. Also prepare to stretch alot.

dowz

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So, I want to start training TKD but I don't really know too much about it. I know that it focuses much on kicks and flexibility but I don't know anything else. I am neither strong or flexible but when I start doing something I put everything into it. What do I need to know before my first practise and what should I start preparing for now?

It depends on what kind of TKD school you signed up for. A WTF TKD school is typically more olympic sports style, which will be as you described focussed a lot on kicks/flexibility.

A ITF school will typically include elements of punches/elbows/SD etc.

In any case, no one starts a new sports/martial arts being an expert in it.
Just start the class, put in 101% during class and practice what you were taught at home, and you'd do just fine.

In my first class, i remember i was more focussed on how to tie my own belt!

[there are poom sae requirements in TKD as well, which is a required component to progress in TKD]

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
if you gonna choose a taekwondo the best is ATA and yes choose the TKD school you want and just pay attention to the instructor but they mainly concentrate on kicks

Latest Discussions