What to do when you can't sleep?

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am feeling terrible today, last nigh TKD class was vary hard, we having an Hap Ki Do seminar in a feew weeks so sambunim's class was about breaking falls, rolls, projections, etc and that kind of stuff and it was very hard on me. There are times when finish a hard class that my body and mind got so exited and so tired that I can't not sleep, funny don't you think? Iam so tired that sleep must become something easy but it does not.

What can I do? Have you felt this way?

Manny

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I can sympathize. It's happened to me before also.

There may not be much you can do other than taking a sleep aid in order to get immediate sleep. But if that doesn't work for you, keep in mind the following:

Low levels of light and noise will help soothe your brain into sleep mode. TV is too stimulating, try reading a book instead. Make sure that when you turn out the lights that your room is as dark as possible.

Don't forget to cut out both caffeine and alcohol.

Good luck!

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You can try counting and visualizing the numbers after a thousand or so your mind goes to sleep.

You can try body relaxing exercises such as focusing on the body getting heavier more relax similar to bio feedback exercises.

You can try mediation,hot bath,warm cup of milk,massage,smoothing music.

There are quite alot of methods a person can use. I know how you feel when you are so tired you can not sleep. I put a warm blanket on and under no circumstances move.This is similar to the Corpse pose in Yoga and it is also used as advice if you are suffering from shock and alone in the woods. It is a great energy replenish technique.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
take a sleeping pill

Well, there have been reported cases of people walking talking, driving, eating and even browsing the internet in their sleep induced by sleeping pills.

When I get too tired to sleep I take a melatonin pill. It is a hormone we naturally have to help us sleep, as we get older or more 'civilized' it's levels sink.

It might not work the first night, or the second, but usually after that you sleep pretty well. Plus (as with all sleeping pills) you really need to make sure you got a generous 8 hours to sleep!

But the dim lights, soft noise is good, no TV is always a good idea, just be careful with the book you pick. I have been caught many times at 3AM with the book under my nose because I just could not put it down!

And have a light dinner.....

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I got a light souper and a nice bath, then I saw some TV very little I have to admit, then I grabed a book and start reading (this helps me a lot usually) but could not read, I mean due to I was so tired my eyes couldn't focus so I could not sleep so I tough it was time to sleep, tuirn off the lights and tried and tried and tried but couldn't sleep, so I grab the book againg but againg couldn't read, turn off the lights and again, and again.

It was horrible believe me.

I will try the melatonin pills.

Manny

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have had that problems many times. When I lived in Texas, I used to work out in the adult class which ended at 9. I usually had to run out right after, rush home, take a shower, get in bed by 11 and be up at 4am to be at work by 5:30. It was hard. But even harder when we had a tough workout. I found myself even more tired the next day. I THINK it was because the built up adrenaline and nature energy levels were boosted to high to be able to relax and get a restfull sleep.

I never really found a remedy. I just did it over and over again and it never got easier. I dont believe in sleeping pills or any other type of un-natural means to sleep.

just my 2 cents

blackxpress

Green Belt
Reaction score
Deep breathing helps me. Think about nothing but your breath. In and out very slowly. In through the nose, out through the mouth. I'm getting sleepy just thinking about it. If that doesn't work, run kata in your mind. Pick a kata that may be a little difficult for you and run it over and over in your mind from beginning to end. It's much better than counting sheep.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny,

You need to make sure you have the lights really low if not turned off 20 minutes before going to bed. You can have the TV on but watch it in the dark. Let yourself go to sleep with the TV on, you will wake again before long so turn the TV off then. Good night.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been reading the forums here for a long time, but this will be my first post. And it's not even directly related to the martial arts. Oh well.

I'm an ER nurse, and I work nights. Sleeping during the day is always problematic. I've also been something of an insomniac most of my life.

Prescription sleeping pills will certainly help you sleep, but they all have an addiction risk, not to mention that many of the most popular (i.e. Ambien) are well known to cause hallucinations and such.

The things I find helpful are meditation, melatonin and, if all else fails, Benadryl.

Meditation centers and calms the mind, and relaxes the body, which makes sleep easier.

Low levels of melatonin are known to cause insomnia, so replacing it helps. For those who prefer to avoid addictive and risky prescriptions, this is the best choice. This is THE drug of choice for the nurses and Drs I work with.

Antihistamines make you sleepy. Benadryl is the most effective over-the-counter sleeping pill available. It's not addictive, nor has it been linked to the hallucinations and such that are found with things like Ambien. Resist the urge to take more than listed though, as antihistamine overdose has an inverse effect, and you will be monstrously wired for the next 6 hours..

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've got a little box of Bendorm (melatonin) so tonight I will star to use it and see how it works aover the days.

Yes I have some kind of insomnia too I think the strees of the job plus the stress of the work out. I think using the melatonin plus reading can help me to sleep.

Manny

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
Manny, a couple of tips
First you might be overtraining, this can definitely affect your sleep.
Maybe a week or two off will help.

Also I found that Melatonin always worked best when I took it for 2 nights and then stopped for 3 nights off.
I don't know exactly why but this worked really well for me.
Maybe your system gets used to it and needs a few nights where it kicks in it's own melatonin.
Either way try it and see how it works for you.

Msby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Dunno if this helps, but here's what I do...
While lying in bed I'll find a comfy position, stay COMPLETELY still, close my eyes and think...
" Basic One... Turn Left Forward Stance, Low Block"
While visualizing every movement, but not as if I was doing the form, but watching someone else do it. Usually I'm out before I get to the Taegeuks.

Be warned though, when I visualize Taegeuks 5-8 I usually get the urge to get up and do the form! Koryo doesn't do ANYTHING to put me to sleep either, it wakes me up :uhyeah:

PS: I'm not trying to say that forms put me to sleep! I find that mental repetition without any actual activity will calm me. (Maybe just basic 1!)

Last edited:
OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will use the melatonin pill for a while and see if it's worth, some months ago I used valeriana pills and they worked but cause me diarrea so I stop using them.

I train 4 nights in a row every week and take a rest friday to sunday.

I need to wotk out because I want to lose weight and be more proficient in my MA and becuase I love it.

I train 1-1:20 hours dayly at nights from monday trought thursday.

Manny

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What to do when you can't sleep?

Funny you should ask, last night I could not fall asleep so I got up and did some standing training Wuji and Zhan Zhuang (about 30 minutes) and after that I was relaxed and went to bed

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I will use the melatonin pill for a while and see if it's worth, some months ago I used valeriana pills and they worked but cause me diarrea so I stop using them.

I train 4 nights in a row every week and take a rest friday to sunday.

I need to wotk out because I want to lose weight and be more proficient in my MA and becuase I love it.

I train 1-1:20 hours dayly at nights from monday trought thursday.

Manny

I've never heard of diarrhea as a side effect of valerin. I would give it another try if I were you. Maybe switch brands since some natural medicine sources are not too honest.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be a sign of an allergic reaction.

Well, no, it can't. A true allergic reaction is an immune system response. You'll get hives, itching, even bronchospasm, but GI upset is not a true allergic reaction. Adverse reaction, yes, but not a true allergy.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, no, it can't. A true allergic reaction is an immune system response. You'll get hives, itching, even bronchospasm, but GI upset is not a true allergic reaction. Adverse reaction, yes, but not a true allergy.

Yes, poorly put.

But there are many ways the body can express it's discomfort with a compound. So while the reaction might have been from an innert ingridience, it could have been the valerian itself.

garrisons2

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Last night I couldn't sleep either, so I walked through the forms in my head, got stuck on Palgwe 7, actually got out of bed at 1230 and went through it to my satisfaction and then went right to sleep. Might have to resort to half a sleeping pill in the winter though, although I find that they slow my reaction time the next day

Latest Discussions