What the heck is a 'Falcon Punch'?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know it was a pommy accent but could it have been a "Vulcan" punch? Not that it makes any difference. Still a vertical punch (Tate Tsuki) for mine. Just a comment on his SD technique. He should have employed a fence. His hands were way too low. :asian:

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We've all seen this clip of the guy defending himself against some moron in his front yard. Now it appears the creep is threatening to sue the Sun for embarrassing him. But more interesting in the video at the bottom, where the victim is interviewed and explains his actions and the moves he uses.

He describes what to me sounds like a perfect Isshinryu vertical fist punch to the face, but he calls it a 'Falcon punch' if I am understand him through his accent.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...eing-floored-by-ex-soldier-threatens-Sun.html

Anybody?

Yes Bill, we also call it a vertical punch, however, we put the thumb on top of the index finger and do not wrap the thumb around the fingers. The fist is more stable that way IMHO.

anyhoo

As far as this mans patience...he....IMO was way too patient and having my family inside and me the only thing inbetween him and them. Especially when that kid grabbed him about the head :eek:...if it was me, as soon as he grabbed me (or came into my personal zone for that matter) the lights would have went out and a few of his body parts would have been hurting.

Michael

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes Bill, we also call it a vertical punch, however, we put the thumb on top of the index finger and do not wrap the thumb around the fingers. The fist is more stable that way IMHO.

I'm not sure if you're commenting on your own style or on Isshinryu or if you're saying you do Isshinryu also. We (Isshinryu) do put the thumb on top of the index finger, yes. I agree that it makes the fist much more stable as well as the wrist.

However, I've heard my sensei note that some people physically cannot put their thumb right on top of the second knuckle, so if they cannot, it is permissible to let it 'drift' off the edge of the bone between the first and second knuckle, which resembles a 'thumb below the fist' look.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Add an animal name to a strike and any moron sounds like a "real" martial artist to other morons.

Falcon punch, Chipmunk chop, Rhino knee ...

Kinda depends on the animal name that you append to the strike. Something exotic or macho is cool.

Cobra Fist

Lepoard Palm

These are Very Cool.

Donkey Punch...

Unfortunate conotation that doesn't so much make one sound like a "real martial artist" as much as a "real pervert", and deservedly so I would add.

:)

Mark

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have not watched the video, but one of my three masters has taught me a Wudan Shaolin style created by his master's family going back years at the temple in Hong Kong, called Nine Birds style. One of the Nine Birds is Falcon, the fastest bird, but there are no traditional punches in the system. Rather, you develop the suppleness of the wrists to the hands, the hands are opened and whipped like wings with fa jing emanating from the waist through the shoulders to the elbows to the hands while moving. The strikes are back hands or front palm strikes. You also slap yourself before striking to ignite and move the chi into your opponent when striking.

Falcon technique is very fast, and very deceptive, and combined with the eagle locks is very effective. The falcon punch described here is an oxymorn, as I have seen very few falcons actally punch when diving for their prey at almost 200 mph...LOL!

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kinda depends on the animal name that you append to the strike. Something exotic or macho is cool.

Cobra Fist

Lepoard Palm

These are Very Cool.

Donkey Punch...

Unfortunate conotation that doesn't so much make one sound like a "real martial artist" as much as a "real pervert", and deservedly so I would add.

:)

Mark

What do you mean? You never learned the Mule-Kick? LOL