What the heck is a 'Falcon Punch'?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We've all seen this clip of the guy defending himself against some moron in his front yard. Now it appears the creep is threatening to sue the Sun for embarrassing him. But more interesting in the video at the bottom, where the victim is interviewed and explains his actions and the moves he uses.

He describes what to me sounds like a perfect Isshinryu vertical fist punch to the face, but he calls it a 'Falcon punch' if I am understand him through his accent.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...eing-floored-by-ex-soldier-threatens-Sun.html

Anybody?

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's an SNL skit.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's an SNL skit.

Interesting! Funny video, by the way. I wonder where this guy got his description of a 'Falcon punch' then? He seems quite serious about it. I had thought he had done an open hand shuto to the throat, but the angle was blocked so we can't see what he actually used. Funny he would call it that if he's really a BB in two different MA arts. Unless there really is a 'Falcon punch', that is.

Last edited by a moderator:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've all seen this clip of the guy defending himself against some moron in his front yard. Now it appears the creep is threatening to sue the Sun for embarrassing him. But more interesting in the video at the bottom, where the victim is interviewed and explains his actions and the moves he uses.

He describes what to me sounds like a perfect Isshinryu vertical fist punch to the face, but he calls it a 'Falcon punch' if I am understand him through his accent.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...eing-floored-by-ex-soldier-threatens-Sun.html

Anybody?

Thats what it sounded like to me as well. I do the same type of punch, but like you, I too call it a vertical punch.

As for the clip....well, I give that guy a TON of credit for staying composed for as long as he did. I really don't think that I'd have waited as long as he did, before I decked the guy either, especially in the beginning, when we saw the punk grabbing onto his head.

As for the punk trying to sue the paper...LOL...typical punk comment. Jason Smith seems to have been the victim of repeated abuse by Les Andrews. Perhaps Les should have thought about his actions before he did what he did. He's worried about the video...well, what about the others in the area that were watching? Was he not worried about them seeing him act like a fool?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is it a Shotokan thing? I call it a vertical punch also. :idunno:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gotta say, though, I'm a tad annoyed that they say this guy "snapped" and hit his attacker. Sorry, but ... that was *far* from snapping.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gotta say, though, I'm a tad annoyed that they say this guy "snapped" and hit his attacker. Sorry, but ... that was *far* from snapping.

I agree! If anything, he was too passive entirely. I realize it was the UK and not the US, but if it had been me, I'd have either retreated back inside my house and called 911, or if I was concerned that the joker was going to destroy my property before the police could arrive, attack him as soon as he raised his hands to me, rather than stand there and passively take it for a long time before fighting back. However, every situation is different.

In any case, his response, when he did make it, was efficient, effective, non-life-threatening, and he did not pursue the matter any further than to make sure the attacker left his property. Well done, all in all. Certainly not 'snapping'.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Probably just a term his instructors used rather than the Japanese terms... He's describing (with some over-emphasis on pressure points, in my opinion) a vertical fist punch.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think it's from an old video game actually....street fighter or something like that.

Peace,
Erik

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree! If anything, he was too passive entirely. I realize it was the UK and not the US, but if it had been me, I'd have either retreated back inside my house and called 911, or if I was concerned that the joker was going to destroy my property before the police could arrive, attack him as soon as he raised his hands to me, rather than stand there and passively take it for a long time before fighting back. However, every situation is different.

In any case, his response, when he did make it, was efficient, effective, non-life-threatening, and he did not pursue the matter any further than to make sure the attacker left his property. Well done, all in all. Certainly not 'snapping'.

The guy was waffling ie B********, it has nothing to do with being in the UK or US. His response was faked hence the time taken and no police called and the 'perfect' video for You Tube, the video has been around for years now, he's not an ex soldier, probably not a black belt in anything other than being a layabout. It was investigated and it was done for the publicity etc. As I said before they are all chavs. Embarrassed, he should be, all of them should.

In this country you are perfectly entitled and you are covered in law if when you feel threatened you hit first. No you won't be arrested or charged see the cage fighters video where they knocked down two guys in self defence. We actually have very liberal self defence laws, I really don't know why people think otherwise tbh.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The guy was waffling ie B********, it has nothing to do with being in the UK or US. His response was faked hence the time taken and no police called and the 'perfect' video for You Tube, the video has been around for years now, he's not an ex soldier, probably not a black belt in anything other than being a layabout. It was investigated and it was done for the publicity etc. As I said before they are all chavs. Embarrassed, he should be, all of them should.

I see - do you have any links to that? I believe you, but I'd love to read the whole story.

In this country you are perfectly entitled and you are covered in law if when you feel threatened you hit first. No you won't be arrested or charged see the cage fighters video where they knocked down two guys in self defence. We actually have very liberal self defence laws, I really don't know why people think otherwise tbh.

Probably just stories one hears or reads about.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Add an animal name to a strike and any moron sounds like a "real" martial artist to other morons.

Falcon punch, Chipmunk chop, Rhino knee ...
The Chipmunk Chop sounds like some kind of fad dance craze...

Stuey

Orange Belt
Reaction score

I dunno, looks genuine to me. A lot of cocky thugs n bullies do whats called 'the interview'. Granted its a long interview, but he was playing to a crowd. Under our law he could most certainly have floored him almost immediately without fear of reprimand, but not everyone knows or remembers this during a high stress time like this. Its all instinct. My guess was that he was trying to ride it out until he got bored and disappeared but then realised that this was not gonna happen.

This is true, although not everyone knows it. It is perfectly feasible to strike first to avoid harm.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Add an animal name to a strike and any moron sounds like a "real" martial artist to other morons.

No... it is a joke. It is a reference to Captain Falcon / Super Smash Bros.. It also became a bit of a Internet meme in some places. He's ****** with the interviewer, that's all.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Ah but Omar, that's where you're wrong! Check out 8:00 in the Chuck Norris instructional video.

Where would we be without Chuck Norris? Think about it, Omar. Think about it.

:boing2:

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, My guess? .."t look for real"and the guy in the door way...knew he was in NO serious danger and resist taking action..until the pushing become more intense...

He took just minumun action and if JJ train could have use locks to really end the sitution.

It takes lots of control to hold back like he did!!

Fights takes all kinds of forms...Not sure if the Police were called at all?

Aloha,

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As I said before they are all chavs. Embarrassed, he should be, all of them should.

Can't they just wear their fake Burberry and leave everyone else alone? :lol:

Latest Discussions