Show me sand the deck
Show me paint the fence
Show me paint the house
Show me wax on , wax off..

Show me make a lotta cash...

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have an interview (somewhere) with Pat E. Johnson where he talks about the making of the Karate Kid..Martin Klove that played Kreese was not getting the character until they cut the sleeves off a gi and made him where a black belt in the training studio..

The charactor John Kreese was based on a real martial art teacher out of Chicago. I won't mention names. But they say he's is really like the charactor that portrayed him in the movie.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The charactor John Kreese was based on a real martial art teacher out of Chicago. I won't mention names. But they say he's is really like the charactor that portrayed him in the movie.

...Now there is a school to avoid...

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I love the way that it hits you with "Kickboxing" then "Jiu Jitsu" then "Meditation" then "Weapons training." I was waiting for a blurb to come up and say, "Which one doesn't belong?"

Daniel

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
...Now there is a school to avoid...

If a particular dojo owner advertises in the comic books that we read as kids, then I'd be a bit hesitant about going...

That being said, he was a legitimate martial artist, and did a lot of good things for the USKA back in its heyday.

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I really like Myagi-do. No belts; complete your training and Osensei presents you with a vintage car.
Not to mention other skills such as raising and trimming bonsai trees, hammering nails in one shot, painting, sanding, and of course waxing cars. Those are great ways to earn money while training for the All Valley.
If do right, no can defense.
I'm pretty sure I've gone it down right. However, it seems to be easy to counter if I'm fighting in on a platform surrounded by water in Okinawa.

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
:BSmeter: you guys are going hard on karate kid my bad for bringing it up :angel:

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A crowd of onlookers with hand drums can help you there.:p

Daniel
Do you think I might be able to request a more upbeat or funk tempo? I'm sure the typical rat-tat-tat sound the drums make might cause further disorientation from having my crane technique countered.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Only if the subject of the third one comes up. One and two were pretty good. The third one.... well... not so good.

Daniel

Amen Brother.....First off I disliked all the Karate Kid movies..One and Two were not bad..But the third and the Next Karate Kid with Hillary Swank were not good at all....

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would rather have seen them find a more mature looking actor to play a grown up Daniel Laruso running his own school than what they did in the third. It seems like they just kept trying to repeat the story of the first movie.

I didn't mind it in the second, mainly because I enjoyed the developement of Myagi's character and the fallout from the end of the first movie. The third was just bad all around and the 'next' was just a bad apology.

Daniel

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I do recall reading online that the third one really sort of threw the characters' development for a loop.

The first movie was about Daniel-san regaining his honor and self-respect by facing his fears and facing off against his antagonist. The second took a more personal look at Mr. Miyagi as a person, and not just a teacher. On top of that, Daniel-san (yeah, I'll keep calling him that) was now fighting for his life.

Then comes the third movie, where basically, some guy is calling him out as a chicken, and he ends up fighting out of pride. Did he even think to call the cops whenever they harassed him?

As for the fourth, I didn't take a chance watching it.

I did hear they were remaking the first one, with Will Smith's son playing the lead role. I vote Sonny Chiba as Mr. Miyagi... lol.

Latest Discussions