what other self defense books are good once I finish the one I'm reading

• Thread starter AsianMartialArtsAreBest
  • Start date
A

AsianMartialArtsAreBest

Hi, I decided to read A Bouncer's Guide to Barroom Brawling, by Peyton Quinn. For those of you who have heard of it which books would you recommend I read next for self defense? Are there any that you specifically recommend? :boing1: This is my first self defense book and I really like it.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, I decided to read A Bouncer's Guide to Barroom Brawling, by Peyton Quinn. For those of you who have heard of it which books would you recommend I read next for self defense? Are there any that you specifically recommend? :boing1: This is my first self defense book and I really like it.

Mmm, may have to get that myself. Bar room brawling :D

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Meditations on Violence, Rory Miller. Should be read by anyone with an interest in this field, as it can clear up a hell of a lot of misunderstandings… including the idea that "Asian martial arts are best"… and that's coming from someone who focuses on traditional Japanese systems…

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've read the gift of fear already but will have to look in to these other titles. Are they instructional or just more of an informative read?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you looking for in your reading? Are you trying to understand violence, or find practical techniques?

On Killing (Grossman) will give you insight into what's going on physically and emotionally in a violent encounter, and has a lot of good information. He may overmake his case, and I agree with the advice of several folks to look at some of his sources directly.

Meditations on Violence and Facing Violence (Miller) have solid information about what goes on in a real violent encounter, rather than a movie script. They also distinguish between predatory violence and social violence -- which is something that very few people do.

Marc MacYoung is releasing a new book, In the Name of Self Defense, (available in some formats now, more coming soon, check Amazon, etc.) which I've read excerpts of. Lots of really good information, and it doesn't assume some knowledge.

One thing that many writers miss, that both Rory and Marc don't, is the legal aspects of self defense. I question how successfully you to defended yourself -- if you get yourself locked up for 20 to life afterwards...

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MA is for doing. It's not for reading. If you can do this, you don't need to read any self defense books. You will let others to worry about how to defend against you.

punch_through_head.jpg

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That has got to be one of the worst replies to such a topic I've ever read, John. It's completely ignorant of the realities, the request of the OP (who's now listed as 'guest'…), what self defence actually is, as well as what real-world violence actually is.

You have a tendency to see everything as black and white… and, as a result, almost always give bad advice or show poor understanding. I'd blame it on language, but you're in California… and you've lived there most of your life, if not all of it, yeah?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What's the difference between a scholar and a MAist?

When a

- scholar takes a 10 questions test, he starts from Q1 and works to Q10. When he has problem with Q6, he can skip it. work on Q7 first. After he has finished Q10, he can then go back to Q6.
- knife is stabbing toward a MAist's chest, he has only 1/4 second to react whether he will be alive or dead.

MA is not how much that you know in your head. MA is how much that you can do on your body. Unless you have developed some "door guarding" skill to defend your life, to read some books won't be able to help you in the long run.

I was taught this way. I will suggest my next generation this way too. MA is for doing. It's not for reading or talking.

Last edited:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

When a

- scholar takes a 10 questions test, he starts from Q1 and works to Q10. When he has problem with Q6, he can skip it. work on Q7 first. After he has finished Q10, he can then go back to Q6.
- knife is stabbing toward a MAist's chest, he has only 1/4 second to react whether he will be alive or dead.

MA is not how much that you know in your head. MA is how much that you can do on your body. Unless you have developed some "door guarding" skill to defend your life, to read some books won't be able to help you in the long run.

I was taught this way. I will suggest my next generation this way too. MA is for doing. It's not for reading or talking.

But... the question here wasn't "what book about martial arts should I read next?" -- it was "what book about self defense do you recommend?" They're not at all the same question. Note the points I hit on in my reply earlier: reality of violent encounters (social and predatory), legal concerns. Those are seldom part of a martial art curriculum. The physical skills are fine -- but the practical skills of recognizing a situation that's developing, avoiding the fight when practical, and dealing with the legal consequences of a violent encounter are very different. How many martial arts pay lip service to the idea of "using violence as a last resort" or "there is no first strike in karate"... but never really actually teach anything about recognizing a developing dangerous situation or deconflicting in an encounter? How many address the idea of reasonableness in the use of force?

There's nothing wrong with these omissions -- if you're teaching and preserving a martial art. But they're necessary topics for self defense.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score

When a

Which completely ignores the context, the question, and really, any acknowledgement that other people have other values, John.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with the Grossman, Miller, MacYoung books. Very good stuff!

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

When a

If a knife is stabbing towards your chest and you have only 1/4 second to react, then it is too late to practice 1000 reps of your favorite evasion/disarm technique so that you can develop reliable skill. You have to do that in the years beforehand, right? I'm certain you understand that much.

Likewise, if a situation is about to develop where someone is about to try stabbing you with a knife, then it is too late to go out and study the circumstances that lead to real world deadly assaults, learn how to recognize and avoid or defuse those circumstances ahead of time, discover how people use knives in real assaults, find out the legalities of options for self-defense in your neck of the woods, and prepare a game plan for how to handle a potential assault without going to prison or the morgue. You have to do all of that ahead of time as well. Much of that information is going to be more available in books than from your martial arts instructor.

If you rely only on your physical skills and no mental preparation to fend off that knife attack then there are a few likely options:

You will end up dead or seriously injured. Unarmed defenses against a knife attack are last-ditch, low-percentage techniques - especially since someone who actually wants to kill you with a knife will probably not let you see the knife beforehand.

You will end up in jail, even if you do prevail in the physical confrontation, because you have no plan for dealing with the legalities or the aftermath of the fight.

Reading books on self-defense is not about being able to spout scholarly theories. It's about understanding and preparing for the 95% of self-defense that doesn't involve fighting.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Without Conscience: The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Among Us - Kindle edition by Robert D. Hare. Health, Fitness & Dieting Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Also look into books by Massad ayoob...

"The Truth about Self-protection"

http://www.amazon.com/The-Truth-Abo...&qid=1405114186&sr=8-16&keywords=massad+ayoob

Check out his lectures on Stand Your Ground laws and other issues involved in Self-defense...though talking mainly about self defense from a firearm perspective his legal discussions are for all types of self-defense...especially if you injure or kill your attacker...he will give specific steps as to what you do immediately after a self-defense encounter...what to say to the police, how to make sure the police know what the important evidence is and who the witnesses are...

Theses things aren't always covered in a martial arts class...

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There are several that I've read that I've found useful from the perspective of self-defense;

Fighter's Fact Book by Loren W. Christensen
View attachment $fighters-fact-book.jpg

Fighter's Fact Book 2 by Loren W. Christensen and various authors
View attachment $fighters2.jpg

Get Tough by Major W.E. Fairbairn
$Get-Tough.jpg

Kill or Get Killed by Col. Rex Applegate
View attachment $9781581605587_p0_v4_s260x420_JPG_cf.jpg

cloud dancing

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i AGAIN DOUBLE DOWN ON GIFT OF FEAR/by Gavin De Becker and his other book
PROTECTING THE GIFT/advisor to Secret service/U.S.Marshal's office/FBI and Criminologist
extraoridaire.understanding the mind of the criminal is half the Battle
Learning to trust your own instincts with practise is the other half.
What fool denies there is KNOWLEDGE IN BOOKS ????
As Ssun Tszu said " know your enemy and KNOW your-self and in all battles you willbe undefeated !!"
I study with Prem Rawat/multiple dvds on youtube explaining why attack happen and
how the mind can be your servant or your worst ENEMY .RAJA YOGA/TAI-CHI./42 YEARS NOW
Light shines-darkness leaves. I SPY

Latest Discussions