"I will mess him up"

drewtoby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It appears that the people in the video have no experience brawling, let alone in self defense. "In a fight I would..." really shows this. In a fight the other guy will be moving, blocking, throwing, etc. There is no telling what you can/will do until you are in it. Also they rely off of punch punch (maybe) knee.

However, I do have a few issues with this video. It does not generalize men, and I am sure some men are more effective than they think. Some do not realize that a single punch can knock out a guy (and/or break the puncher's fist if done wrong), or a fall from a punch can kill a guy. The Onion seems to have interviewed the egotistical "tough guys" (the barkers), and not the biters. In real life these "tough guys" typically don't have nearly as big as a bite as "normal" guys do.

Also, what about women? The video left this out.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It appears that the people in the video have no experience brawling, let alone in self defense. "In a fight I would..." really shows this. In a fight the other guy will be moving, blocking, throwing, etc. There is no telling what you can/will do until you are in it. Also they rely off of punch punch (maybe) knee.

However, I do have a few issues with this video. It does not generalize men, and I am sure some men are more effective than they think. Some do not realize that a single punch can knock out a guy (and/or break the puncher's fist if done wrong), or a fall from a punch can kill a guy. The Onion seems to have interviewed the egotistical "tough guys" (the barkers), and not the biters. In real life these "tough guys" typically don't have nearly as big as a bite as "normal" guys do.

Umm - you do realize that The Onion is satirical, right?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

In this context, women can be the worst. However I do think you spent way to much time on this. :)

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
you ever see 2 girls go at it ????? now that's brutal and what's more they don't back down and call out for mercy like half the blokes do - the girls also never try and talk a situation down either they just go at it.

girls are far worse than boys and you won't get a study showing girls going round saying "i gunna tuk you up" etc........

the vid is total bs in my book

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I remember before I first started my MA training I reckoned I could look after myself, and maybe I could have in certain situations, but it only took one night at training to dispel that confidence. It took many years of training before I believe I had achieved the level of ability that matched the level of self confidence I had before I started training.

So, satirical or not, there is a fair element of truth in the video.
:asian:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember before I first started my MA training I reckoned I could look after myself, and maybe I could have in certain situations, but it only took one night at training to dispel that confidence. It took many years of training before I believe I had achieved the level of ability that matched the level of self confidence I had before I started training.

So, satirical or not, there is a fair element of truth in the video.
:asian:
I think it important to want the fight to happen somewhere in the back of your mind. I think what causes a person to talk a big game is that they are shielding themselves with a story, and when they find they are up against someone that wants a confrontation, they suddenly find themselves in a fight, or in some serious negotiations. :)

Latest Discussions