What matters most?...............

R

RCastillo

A large, well known, established organization, or a small one, with just a handful of members?

Can a small one carry the credibility, and compete with the larger one as being for real?

Speaking of the above, can an Instructor, who is not well connected to anyone, but has the knowledge, be recognized, and respected by other Kenpo groups?

In the end, can their teaching, foundations, be considered legitimate in the eyes of the larger Kenpo community?

Thanks for your insight!

:asian:

Dun Ringill

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Organizations don't really matter. The smallest common denominator of Kenpo is the instructor-student relationship and the loyalties that exist both ways should supercede any organization or questions of legitamacy. A piece of paper or a patch doesn't make anybody legitamite. Neither does a website or a political affiliation. Legitamacy comes from the student's belief in the instructor and the instructor's committment to pass on the legacy of his art.

OP
K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by RCastillo
Speaking of the above, can an Instructor, who is not well connected to anyone, but has the knowledge, be recognized, and respected by other Kenpo groups?

Well, the instructor must have had at least connections with the people he learnt with and mates.

One of my instructors is more or less in this case and he is well respected. He and his students. He has been invited to join some bigger organizations, but he'd rather be an independent. I guess he is after all well connected, geez.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo
A large, well known, established organization, or a small one, with just a handful of members?

Can a small one carry the credibility, and compete with the larger one as being for real?

In the end, can their teaching, foundations, be considered legitimate in the eyes of the larger Kenpo community?

Thanks for your insight!

I believe what matters most is the Quality of the Art which is being passed on. The Organization is only as good as its leader (big or small). In Kenpo today, those that had the closest ties to Mr. Parker are the top choices, but as you look at the list, the next consideration is the personality of that instructor and what his or her goals are. Some of the mortifications behind some of these people are not as desired as others. You must look close and find those that are really willing to first teach Kenpo to you and not just join their organization, pay dues, get promoted (for a large fee) without much personal training, join their bogus fan clubs, and market themselves as a priority.

YOU and your advancement in Kenpo, should be the most important item to them. Sure, dues and patches help to create brotherhood by a common bond but not the main factor.

Quality is Quality...... if the instructor is good ......... his people will reflect the skills and be recognized anywhere they go as legitimate.

OP
M

meni

Originally posted by Goldendragon7
I

Quality is Quality...... if the instructor is good ......... his people will reflect the skills and be recognized anywhere they go as legitimate.

i have to agree its what you teach and how your students understand it! and not the size of the organztion!

True2Kenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think this is a very good series of questions that many Kenpoists encounter.

I know that I have encountered many organizations that I have been interested in and took serious consideration in possibly joining. I guess the starting point for me was to seek guidance from my instructor. Some organizations specify that one must train under one of their instructors and this would be a deciding factor. My loyalty to my instructor means a lot to me.

In contrast I have met many great Kenpoists like Mr. Conaster, Mr. Mills, Mr. Tatum, Mr. Planas, and so on... and I would love to have the opportunity to train with them on a regular basis, but that is unrealistic and I resort to attending as many seminars with them as possible. Their knowledge and skill in the Kenpo system is astounding and I truely look up to them.

So anyway, I think the knowledge that one is seeking is the most important aspect of any organization and if the instructor can provide that level of knowledge to the members. The size is nice... more the members, bigger the immediate family, but we forget we all are a part of a bigger extended family... the Kenpo community!

I wish everyone the best and good journey!

Respectfully,
Joshua Ryer
UPK Pittsburgh

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is about quality always.

For an individual, loyalty to your teacher is always a paramount part of Bushido (assuming they deserve it - another part of Bushido.) [Note: this is my interpretation of bushido in a modern context]

An association or organization lends legitimacy to my students, wherever they live ... both now, and after my passing. It is something for every instructor to consider as part of the heritage they pass on through their students.

Too heavy duty for ya? Tough, it is as real as it gets. Don't bounce around just to bounce around. It is not always about who is best, but who offers the most for my own growth and that of my students.

Oss,
-Michael

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
an organization is a support network.

A large organization can provide a lot of support...

but so can a smaller one made up of schools in your area.

you just have to pick what's right for you.

Latest Discussions