IKKA Press Release posted on Businesswire.com

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can understand a copy write on terms and names but it would be interesting to hear arguments for invented motion. I suppose it wouldn't be too traumatizing for those of us that never remember technique names anyway.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My Kenpo is an offshoot of Parker/Tracy from before the two split. We have different names for almost all of the techniques in order to avoid any copyright disputes.

In Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Rorion Gracie trademarked "Gracie Jiu Jitsu" so that only his academy can use that term. And, the Machado brothers trademarked their name so that a relative who makes Machado Kimonos has to sell them as MKimonos in the US.

We could all wind up having to scrap our dragons and tigers and universal pattern patches.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd think that the IKKA would realize that a new round of legal bullying would only do more harm than good... if any good at all.

I thought in Kenpo, LOGIC and EXPERIENCE were important.

My thoughts...
Your brother
John

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Yeah, I agree, another corporation...oh goody...

OP
K

Kenpo Yahoo

There is such a thing as public domain. If the technique names were never copyrighted before being used by other associations one could easily make an argument for Public Domain.

In my opinion this IKKA thing is a joke. How in the hell will 30 "BIGWIGS" who don't agree now, agree under this new umbrella. Talk about Commercial Kenpo. Doesn't it cost like $20 bucks a month just to be an individual member and for what? Almost everything Parker ever taught is out there in the form of books, videos, or other associations. So why would you possibly want to be apart of the IKKA?

Anybody, anybody?

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We are all putting the cart before the horse. Let's see what happens.

In terms of cost to the individual: $10 per month is what I read on their webpage, for individual members. Steep for someone paying $40/month ... it increases their rate by 25% ... but if you are in LA and paying in excess of $120/mo, then it is a much, much less significant increase like 8% or so, and more affordable.

It is a lot steeper for schools, but they have not told us what specifically the school owners are getting for enrollment of their schools.

Just waiting on the sidelines!!!

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Michael Billings
We are all putting the cart before the horse. Let's see what happens.

In terms of cost to the individual: $10 per month is what I read on their webpage, for individual members. Steep for someone paying $40/month ... it increases their rate by 25% ... but if you are in LA and paying in excess of $120/mo, then it is a much, much less significant increase like 8% or so, and more affordable.

It is a lot steeper for schools, but they have not told us what specifically the school owners are getting for enrollment of their schools.

Just waiting on the sidelines!!!

I have to agree with you here Michael, and a lot of others that I've talked to could care less if it's new and improved, they won't be joining. If they really think the infusion of a some bucks is gonna make them bigger and better I would argue against it, in fact, it might just work against them and send potential students to other orgs. I can't tell you how much loyalty any of the 30 senior 1st generations students they said they have without Mr. Parker Sr. in the picture but we'll see what the future holds. Irregardless, I will never become part of it as my loyalty is already directed to my org. and my instructor. Well, there's my .02 cents.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I think everyone should actually wait and see what happens before condemning the attempts of the IKKA. So many people putting forth neagtive attitudes about what will happen may destroy a good thing before it ever comes to life.

I want to wait and see what happens before I pass judgement.

OP
K

Kirk

I guess there's some kind of nostalgia that those of us who
started kenpo after Mr Parker's death can relate to. This has
been a rumor (that turned out to be true) for over 8 months.
Why can't they address those they're seeking as members?

Business men were told before the "kenpo public". They talk of a
brotherhood, but their actions, or lack thereof speak volumes of
a contrasting methodology .. IMO.

My opinion, and mine alone.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by Old Fat Kenpoka
I have heard the IKKA is doing some good outreach. I don't think this press release refelcts any of that.

The IKKA has some high-horsepower Kenpo Seniors. Why would they create an org structure where the highest ranking person is a 3rd degree and the Chairman didn't even get his 1st Degree until after Mr. Parker Sr. (his dad) passed away?

This statement really makes me wonder what all the fuss is about. So many people are bitching and moaning about the reorganizing of the IKKA. So what does it matter when Ed Parker Jr. recieved his Black Belt, do you think just because he didn't get his belt til later in life that he never learned anything from his father? How could he not have learned more than most of us non- first generation students just being in that environment. It is a well known fact that he did many illustrations for his father. And what does it matter when he recieved his rank if he is not the senior instructor in the organization. Look at many successful schools, most of them have a staff that help promote and run hte day to day of the school and the instrcutor administers to the staff and teaching. Many times the staff that does the day to day operations have little or no martial arts skill does mena the school is no good?

People should just wait and see what happens.

True2Kenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rob_Broad
I think everyone should actually wait and see what happens before condemning the attempts of the IKKA. So many people putting forth neagtive attitudes about what will happen may destroy a good thing before it ever comes to life.

I want to wait and see what happens before I pass judgement.

Mr. Broad,

I completely agree with you sir! Lets take a breather before we pass judgement. As in the words of Mr. Parker, "Many great achievements trace their roots to patience."

Lets be patient!

Good journey.

Respectfully,
Joshua Ryer

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rob_Broad
People should just wait and see what happens.

Amen.

If I were going to open/run a business I would not have the Grand Opening until the shelves were stocked.

Really. Let them get their ducks in a row before opening fire.