What MA style have you always wanted to try?

gkygrl

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is such a cool thread. I'm exploring looking into other MA's as well ... it seems that a lot of MA's learn arts in tandem. One just is not enough.

- Krav Maga
- Systema
- Hapkido (outside of Combat Hapkido)
- Aikido

I'm still exploring (which is a lot of fun). I really don't have much clue regarding so many of the MA's.

A lifetime of information to learn. FUN!!!!:asian::asian:

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would love to finish my EPAK training (I gave it up too quickly).

But as far as a style, I would love to study some Chen Tai Chi. Or maybe some Sambo. And I think some crazy, out of the way weapons style would be nice. Though I am not sure which one.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are a couple of MA's that I've been interested in for some time but haven't had the opportunity to practice.

Daito Ryu (I'd be interested in learning either the mainline branch under Kondo Sensei, the Takumakai branch or maybe the Kodokai).

Hapkido (Choi Yong Sul lineage, perhaps via Grand Master Lim's Jung Ki Kwan or Grand Master Kim Yung Sang's Hapkiyusul Yong Sul Kwan)

Pax,

Chris

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would suppose it is easier to ask what martial art I would NOT like to study, that way I could save a post for someone else!

Right now my interests lean more toward Budo Taijutsu, Bagua, Aikijutsu and various western sword arts.

At least thats the top four right now.

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Oh, man, there are a lot I would love to do. I am primarily a grappler, so I love grappling arts, and would love to cross train in the following:

-Sport Sambo
-Combat Sambo
-Judo
-American Folkstyle Wrestling/Catch-As-Catch-Can
-Greco-Roman Wrestling

As far as other styles I would love to try:
-Muy Thai
-Kyokushin Karate- And/or dirivitive styles
-Fencing (mostly intrested in saber, but would love to do foil and epee too).
-Filipino arts- eskrima and kali stuff

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Classical fencing has always fascinated me.

Or 'Knitting' as I call it to tease a friend of mine who teaches it :D.

An art I've always been interested in learning but have been denied because of physical injusry is Aikido. I've ever been drawn to it's ethos of using the attackers energy against themselves - very Buddhist in a warped kind of way :).

At present, I would love to learn Bo and Sai. I keep dropping broad hints but apparently my sensei feels I'd be better expending my energy in getting my swordwork something like tolerable before branching out :lol:.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Was interested in aikido and got 7th kyu in that. Other than perhaps iaido, no other art besides Taekwondo interests me.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would like to train in a soft style that would complement the hard style TKD that I've learned - Hapkido, Aikido, Judo, and similar styles are all of interest... darn job keeps me too busy to cross train at the moment, however.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I find myself also wondering about joining a BJJ school so that I can become aquainted with the grappling. I would NEVER prefer to grapple, of course, but what if an accomplished grappler did take me to the ground? I cannot do anything.

My first choice of school is based on location, it is convenient, and besides, I cannot judge what is good jiu-jitsu and what is not. I have no idea what it should look like. I even spoke with one of the guys who run the school. It would take a year's commitment and tuition is high ~ $100 / month. I would not do it unless I saved all of the money up and then gave the whole sum first, that way I can have no worries about not being able to pay for any reason.

Here is the school:

http://www.derbycitymartialarts.com/app_pages/mma.php

Haha -- I spoke with a Shotokan Black Belt friend of mine only last night -- I said, "I am going to learn about the BJJ." He said, "You are going to get injured." Haha, and he is a tough guy, no joke!

But if I did practice HARD for one year's time and did NOT end hurt, then surely I could by that time know enough to try to escape the hold, and resume striking or run away from the opponent.

OP
myusername

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Wow TKD and BJJ! That sounds an awesome combination. I actually looked into BJJ before settling on TKD, the art looks fab but my local school wasn't for me.

If you decide to go with that newguy I wish you the best of luck. I imagine it would be an excellent addition to your stand up striking skills from TKD.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If the accomplished grappler does manage to get the hold, and then you are on the ground, they should win. But I would never rely on this ground technique as the choice of self-defense myself. I have too many concerns about that:

You are attacked, and then you grap the opponent, and you go to the ground, to get the submission hold. Grapple, grapple, grapple...

What if some buddy of the opponent then thinks, I will end this! He breaks a bottle and sticks it into your side.

But I am right now at a loss to know how to break the hold. If someone else initiates it successfully, I am toast, hahahahaha! Also, this BJJ is very popular now, because of the UFC. We may all need to know enough of this if we are to protect ourselves.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kajukenbo
Akido
Tai Chi

mainly becasue I see those as being perhaps the pinnicles of the three types of Martial Art:

Striking
Controlling
Internal

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One of the Wu Dang mountain styles. I have this incredibly romantic but unrealistic notion of Wu Dang from watching Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
FMA. I just love hitting people with sticks. Aikido and Bojutsu are also high on my list.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Who among us can honestly say that they have never had the fleeting thought that it would be just great to study BJJ long enough so that they can just ONCE in their life do the following things:

1) Lift the opponent up and tell them, "You are about to taste mat, #####."

2) Apply the rear naked choke and tell the opponent, "Tap out or pass out, #####."

:D

The_Fish

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hapkido. I'm quite peeved there's absolutely nowhere near me at all that teaches it.

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here is the school:

http://www.derbycitymartialarts.com/app_pages/mma.php

Haha -- I spoke with a Shotokan Black Belt friend of mine only last night -- I said, "I am going to learn about the BJJ." He said, "You are going to get injured." Haha, and he is a tough guy, no joke!

But if I did practice HARD for one year's time and did NOT end hurt, then surely I could by that time know enough to try to escape the hold, and resume striking or run away from the opponent.

The School you posted looks like a ligit school. $100 per month is on the low end of the BJJ training scale, the price will probably jump the minute one of the instructors gets his black belt. :)

As far as getting injured... I don't think that injury rates at BJJ are really that high, unless you start training like a madman for competition. Judo is the killer art. I train BJJ cause I can't handle Judo :)

Latest Discussions