What is your training challenge?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
Perhaps it is time for you to find another art? You certainly have stayed with TKD long enough not to be a "jack of all trades, master of none". Have you considered Aikido or a martial style of Tai Chi? Just a thought.

I've posted alot on that subject. I don't need to be a master rank, just want to learn, teach and workout for my health. At 56, I'm not going to be great at anything. Just the facts of life. Slow Tai Chi is taught once a week at the senior center, not my thing, yet. Have been taking yoga a year and a half now mostly for the stretching. I'm in a small town, everything else is an hour or more away and its hard to take up another martial art at 56, let alone 47 when I started. I find myself looking forward to my kickboxing classes and not regular TKD. So, am doing what I can do, thanks for asking though. TW

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Keeping motivation. Being a blue belt in TKD and really working with a white and orange belt, it is hard to keep motivation and work out hard and try things at full speed.

Matter of fact I am going thru a slump right now.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Right now my biggest challenge is going to be finding a new place to train, and getting myself to train on my own. I'm moving to new area in a few days, and I have no idea what martial arts schools and instructors are around there.

Incidentally, does anyone have any personal recommendations for martial art schools or instructors in Marin County, California? In particular, I'm looking for something within about a 40 minute drive of Stinson Beach. And I can't commit to signing any contracts.

I asked about this in the Schools/Instructors forum, but haven't had any responses so far.

TigerWoman said:
Both my knees are bad, cartilage gone for the most part, also a hole worn in the bone under. I've had meniscal tears but they mended with glucosamine sulfate-takes years. 2xday x 3 mos. minimum to get it into your system. My left knee does not stay in joint, so I have been wearing a brace for the last five. The Shields knee brace without the hinge on the second row.

http://www.1rehab.com/knee%20braces.htm

I used to wear a Shield brace because of chronic knee inflammation, but it started to wear out after a few years, and I haven't bothered to get a new one. (The first one was prescribed by an orthopedist). I haven't really needed it though. Since I started taking better care of my knees with strengthening exercsies, paying more attention to my body mechanics, icing them down after a workout, and the ocassional anti-inflammatory, they have been much better.

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
Keeping motivation. Being a blue belt in TKD and really working with a white and orange belt, it is hard to keep motivation and work out hard and try things at full speed.

Matter of fact I am going thru a slump right now.

Ace, I think everyone has gone through the slump you may be in now. I know I did at least. For me it was at purple belt. My advice is to push through it. Keep going to class. Go in with a goal for each class, 'tonight i want to really improve xxx' or 'I really want to get a great ab/arm/cardio workout.' By making class a specific goal for yourself it may help get through the slump. if possible ask a higher rank to go through material with you at full speed/strength. I know at my school there are plenty of black belts who will let us kick them close to full strength. Talk with your instructor about your slump. Chances are they already know about it, because everyone goes through it. They may have better suggestions for you. Good luck! Let me know how it goes.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My biggest challenge right now is learning to be a good instructor. I swear my brain goes numb, not only with the lesson I planned, but knowing my right & left hands, sometimes!:)

I also struggle because I don't have people in my organization that are physically close to train with. The closest is more than 200 miles away. That's why I enjoy MT so much. Intelligent & knowledgeable folks who can help me.

I also struggle with MA workouts for myself. I can run & do other things to keep in shape. I think because I miss the atsmosphere of being a student in someone else's class, its hard to train in MA.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
donna said:
My biggest challenge is high kicks. No matter how much I warm up and stretch, Im having problems loosening up my tight hips.:idunno:

I teach 6 hours a week, soon to be 13 hours. Finding time for me to train is my challenge.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
At the present my greatest challenge is to relax my muschles, get rid of stress and improve my throws.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
tkd_jen said:
Ace, I think everyone has gone through the slump you may be in now. I know I did at least. For me it was at purple belt. My advice is to push through it. Keep going to class. Go in with a goal for each class, 'tonight i want to really improve xxx' or 'I really want to get a great ab/arm/cardio workout.' By making class a specific goal for yourself it may help get through the slump. if possible ask a higher rank to go through material with you at full speed/strength. I know at my school there are plenty of black belts who will let us kick them close to full strength. Talk with your instructor about your slump. Chances are they already know about it, because everyone goes through it. They may have better suggestions for you. Good luck! Let me know how it goes.

Thank you so much for the advice.
We are growing as a school but I am the highest ranked student.
I finally swallowed that lump in my throat last night and told my master.
He asked me what was wrong cause he could sense something and I told him that I needed more challenge. My intensity that I use to have died off.

I didnt want to come off as being cocky in that I knew everything and didnt need practice at basic things but as a blue belt and being maybe a half a month away from a brown belt I feel that I need more challenge. He understood and said that we can change thigns as in having a few one on one sessions. Starting a school is hard and having 2 other adults at white belt and the other at ornage I understand that I need to help them more being I know a lot. Class as a whole cant be too fast cause they are just beginning to learn.

I look forward to next week and hopefully I will feel differently and out of my slump.

Suntail

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Due to academic negligence (I'm ridiculously lazy with regards to school) and finances, I can't get to classes and haven't learned anything new or recieved good feedback since November. Whopping cough, which I repetedly aggrivate thinking I've healed (It's been almost 3 months), I twisted my ankle becuase I was training in the snow and once more when I stepped in a pothole that I couldn't see, and I recently got a minor fracture in the top of my foot from a hitter coming down on it in a volleyball tournament, on top of all my old injuries that come back to haunt me (cartalage in the knee and ligiments in my shoulder) all make training a pain, literally. My training partners quit, and training forms solo losses its appeal after a couple of months. My instructor got promoted at work and has an erratic schedule, I can't find any local classes I really like, so I don't have a place to look forward to starting up again. Doesn't mean training isn't worth it though.

It feels really good to finally vent.

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
He asked me what was wrong cause he could sense something and I told him that I needed more challenge. My intensity that I use to have died off.

He understood and said that we can change thigns as in having a few one on one sessions. Starting a school is hard and having 2 other adults at white belt and the other at ornage I understand that I need to help them more being I know a lot. Class as a whole cant be too fast cause they are just beginning to learn.

I look forward to next week and hopefully I will feel differently and out of my slump.

Ace, you seem to have a great attitude about helping the lower ranks. It is difficult to constantly help others learn when you are not learning new material yourself. What surprised me is how much I actually do learn by helping the lower ranks with "the basics." I bet your technique reflects all the help you have given those 2 (and I bet they really respect you - even more reason to push on :wink1: ).

I am glad you talked with your master. I am not surprised he knew something was wrong. I think it is a great opportunity he has given you with the one on one lessons-they are invaluable, take full advantage of these sessions. I hope you get the fire back for training, it sounds like your headed in the right direction. Keep us posted!!

Mcura

Green Belt
Reaction score
For me, my challenge is focus. I'm at the point where I can go *really intense* in a simple drill, and get really tense. However, that also means I expend energy, get sloppy in my execution of techniques, and deprive myself of the learning experience in the heat of "MUST HIT NOW".

I need to find that place where the energy flows. I've heard this state called zanshin, or wushin (and I'm sure I'm spelling it wrong). Or, as a wise man once said, "It just flows. You go with the flow."

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Where I currently live, its finding a good school and one that trains on consecutive days rather than some mediocre school asking $100 for twice a week lessons. See, I am at a stump in my life where things get real interesting. I am done with school, and working in a nice job, so I have time to train, now I just need to find a good solid school that teaches EPAK, and go from there, havent found one yet.

L

loanbanker

For me its been advoiding injury. It seems at least once per week I keep jamming the big knuckle of my right thumb. Its happened once per week for the last month. The darn thing is really starting to hurt!

Latest Discussions