"Physically challenged" martial artists

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow, now that would be a great resource to have available!
We have several physically challeneged students as well as mentally challenged. We have a few autistic children who are doing great, and we've had a blind student. This guy was amazing a feeling. In kung fu we do feeling drills to learn to feel the other persons energy and balance, he was awesome at it. We've also had a few students in wheelchairs. The techniques and forms had to be adapted to him, but thats what kung fu is all about anyway, changing to fit any situation. It is a challenge, but so is anything in life. My best friend has a physical issue with his ankle, he was born with his foot on backwards, thye had to break it and flip it around, so he has a nice limp and some tnedon issues so almost no flexability in that leg. He puts me to shame in his training! He is most inspiring. He is a personal trainer at a huge medical facility and gym, and he is now leaning MA. I tell him that its going to be a challenege, but what good would it be if it was easy?

7sm

C

Cliarlaoch

We've got a few physically and mentally challenged individuals in my association. The association's policy has always been that we teach the art in such a way that anybody can do it, so we try to make allowances for those who cannot, for whatever reason, execute the technique by the book. We've got one guy, one Mr. Riley, who's physically challenged, and can't really execute kicks. But damn, the man can throw a punch. He knows all the techniques like the back of his hand, and can teach everything properly. It's not a handicap to him. He just learned what he can and cannot do, and works accordingly. Which is the way any martial art really works. You learn to do what you can, and if you can't, that's okay. You just modify the technique to work for you.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I made a friend a number of years ago at a Wing Chun weekend-long camp who was confined in a wheelchair... That was his only place of confinement. This guy had great spirit and lightning fast punches. His chair handles came out and thus could double as a sort of tonfa. Showed me a bit of that technique and I told him I'm glad I just made a friend out of him.

How wonderful things are that more and more doors are opening these days for those who are not whole in limb or mind or body. This is one of my favorite Stephen R. Donaldson's quotes from his Thomas Covenant series...

"A vast gulf lies between creatures that are born and those that are made. Born creatures, such as we are, do not suffer torment at the simple fact of physical form. Perhaps you desire keener sight, greater might of arm, but the embodiment of eyes and limbs is not anguish to you. You are born by Law to be as you are. Only a madman loathes the nature of his birth."
~Hamako~

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
a friend of mine in 10th grade He was Blind and also in Karate he quit cause he did not like it but some how he also played video games

K

KungFuGrrrl

Ceicei said:
I define "physically challenged" as individuals who are deaf, blind, wheelchair-bound, amputee, or with other assorted types of challenges. (I dislike the terms "disabled" or "impaired".)

If you have experiences teaching or working with martial artists having one or more of these challenges, share these experiences with us please.

If you are one of these martial artists with a challenge, let us know how you handled your training? What did you do to make it easier for your instructors/students/training partners?
Thank you.
Respectfully,
- Ceicei
I am disabled (ruptured disc into spinal chord, osteo arthritis, PTSD and panic disorder)... 10 years in MA .... In the beginning of my training, the disc was protruding not ruptured so i did get to spar a bit however, my Sifu and the teachers and KF brothers I was taught by and worked with over the years... tried to let me make my mistakes... and EARN my hits hehe.... example 1 KFB (I actually timed it) took me 25 minutes to get a good hit on him BUT I knew it was for real hehe..... now, of course they would sometimes let me have a few *freebies* which was good in that it was encouraging to me....and they always gave me good hits too, many times I went home with some good ole bruises or a busted lip. but it was a good *battle scar*, so in effect I wasn't "babied" but handled with care to some extent....

I have also had a few *real life * situations over the years which were handled in my favor.due to my training..

I always say "Thank you for working with me" to my partner... but I came to realize that by working with me, they also gained benefit of learning patience and by going a bit slower with their own techniques from time to time, I feel made them better, and quicker..as I have heard, learn proper tech/speed and power will follow.

Also, we could take the time to analyze and *redo* the drills, I really miss working with a WC partner and am looking for a local *KF Brother* to train with keep up my Chi Sau and free style sticky hands....

I put WC on pause and am focusing on Tai Chi Chuan which is a good style as well and benefits my body.... but I lOVE WC.

Also, with disabled MA's it boils down to modify modify modify the moves, if the concept is there and the tech works then BAM! go with it.

Last year I was in a wheel chair for 2 weeks my Sifu had an odd look on his face and I told him "Hey, don't worry, Im the *meanest lil B** in a wheelchair, take out their knees I will! take out the knees! HEHE

Any way, Im rambling on and on and on.... the energizer bunny has nothing on me hehe.

Thanks for listening!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good post, Grrrl. So, if I may ask, does your spinal injury involve any kind of paralysis? affect your balance and control? I agree on modification and I want to teach/coach disabled people, so I'm wanting to get more feedback - if that's too personal too soon, I apologize.

I also wrote my black belt dissertation on teaching and working with students with PTSD and was wondering if you'd be open to discussion on that topic.

Thanks!

Latest Discussions