What is your plan for re-opening?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find out that sometime it will take me 5 seconds to pull my face mask off my pocket and then put it on. If I let my face mask to attack under my chin, I can pull it up within 1 second. That extra 4 seconds could mean life and death.

Since virus can get in through eyes, I decide to put my ski goggles on.

ski-google-3.jpg

I'm seriously thinking about to order some equipment like this.

Deep Sea Diver Costume for Men

deep-sea-diving.jpg
The mask does little to protect me. It is (as others have said) more about protecting others, in case I'm carrying and don't know it.

I keep my mask tucked in my belt. I have it on and off dozens of times a day (I'm currently driving for one of the food delivery companies), and it takes about a second to put it on/off.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As for the idea that they don't like higher temps; If the temperature is below 133 fahrenheit, it can still live there. https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-warm-weather-will-not-slow-covid-19-transmission

from what I understand, what it typical of viruses is that they do better in colder, dry weather and not as well in warmer wetter weather. This is why there is talk that perhaps Covid-19 will be reduced during the summer months, as often happens with colds and the flu. But this is a new virus that is not yet fully understood, and what is typical of other viruses may be irrelevant to this one. One thing Andrew Cuomo keeps saying is that this virus has been ahead of us every step of the way. We think we know something about it, and then we find out we are wrong. I agree with him. So it is prudent to err on the side of caution when we are speculating in any way about this virus, or making assumptions based on what is true of other viruses.

But it's important to keep in mind that with any pandemic the number can shoot up in a day, before you're aware of it. And the sucky thing about this virus is that it's most infectious before you show symptoms, so it can spread through your county before you're aware of the spread.

This is what cannot be emphasized enough. This virus is infectious well before any symptoms show, unfortunately with a lot of people never showing symptoms at all. Lucky for those individuals, they get through it with no trouble. Not so lucky for anyone who might contract it from those people, and may become very sick and may die.

In an environment where widespread public testing for infection is still not available, it is certainly prudent to monitor for symptoms. At least it is something and should help spread the infection somewhat. But that alone is far from a realistic containment of the infection because of the infectiousness before and without symptoms. Anyone who believes that keeping away from folks who are showing symptoms is enough to keep them from contracting Covid-19 is missing a huge part of the picture. The threat of infection is much much greater than just those showing symptoms.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where my son trains is opening this week and the instructor said to come ready to spar.

Jake is happy.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where my son trains is opening this week and the instructor said to come ready to spar.

Jake is happy.
Wow....are you serious? Very irresponsible.....lets just hope he doesn't spar with anyone who's got the virus...

Last edited:

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like the rest of you guys I sure can't wait till things are normal again ,but until then its training at home. My condolences to people without backyards or anywhere to train.

Not sure if any schools won't be able to open when this is over. But if so then my condolences to them too.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow....are you serious? Very irresponsible

I disagree. Our area had very few cases and was not impacted and our region has been on a steady decline.

People know the risks now and should be allowed to make choices for themselves.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Jake is happy.
Well, this strikes me as too much too soon. Maybe your region can support opening within some limitations. But the kind of close proximity that sparring involves is something I suspect is crossing the line.

Once again, your region may be low now. But we live in a highly mobile society and it could be brought in from elsewhere. It could spike tomorrow but nobody recognizes it for another week because few people are showing symptoms early, and yet many people are contagious. And then everyone has been too close to each other during that time. And I’ve got to ask: how much testing of the general population in you area has been done in order to know that the numbers are in fact low, and not merely unrecognized?

My opinion: that is a really risky move. I wouldn’t let my child do it yet. I wouldn’t do it for myself yet.

People seem to believe that if their region hasn’t shown high numbers of cases yet then the separation and distancing were all for nothing. But in reality, the low number of cases is because of the distancing and separation. You dodged the bullet.

If someone is shooting at you and you duck for cover and don’t get hit, do you conclude that ducking for cover was pointless? We need to keep ducking for cover for a while.

Last edited:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I disagree. Our area had very few cases and was not impacted and our region has been on a steady decline.

You've had very few CONFIRMED CASES doesn't mean there's not loads around that just haven't been found. In my area there's 300 confirmed cases but everyone knows there's probably been hundreds more with it. Yeah okay your on a steady decline but start throwing kids into sparring each other and other close contact activities and see how long that lasts.

Let's not forget a lot of people don't show symptoms especially kids. So someone could turn up to your kids club with the virus and infect everyone without even knowing they're doing it.

As I've said I can understand adult classes starting again but with correct social distancing, just doing drills in the air and exercises etc 100% shouldnt be sparring. Is your kids club going to be taking any precautions at all? Are they cleaning all the equipment thoroughly before and after each use. Is everyone being told to wash their hands before and after class?

Your son is a kid...of course if he has the choice of going out or staying in he's going to go out...doesn't make it the right choice.

I hope your kids instructor is ready for a potential lawsuit if someone gets sick or dies from his poor judgement

Last edited:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, this strikes me as too much too soon. Maybe your region can support opening within some limitations. But the kind of close proximity that sparring involves is something I suspect is crossing the line.

Once again, your region may be low now. But we live in a highly mobile society and it could be brought in from elsewhere. It could spike tomorrow but nobody recognizes it for another week because few people are showing symptoms early, and yet many people are contagious. And then everyone has been too close to each other during that time. And I’ve got to ask: how much testing of the general population has been done in order to know that the numbers are in fact low, and not merely unrecognized?

My opinion: that is a really risky move. I wouldn’t let my child do it yet. I wouldn’t do it for myself yet.

People seem to believe that if their region hasn’t shown high numbers of cases yet then the separation and distancing were all for nothing. But in reality, the low number of cases is because of the distancing and separation. You dodged the bullet.

If someone is shooting at you and you duck for cover and don’t get hit, do you conclude that ducking for cover was pointless?
Exactly I've made my feeling on kids training clear already. As I've said adults yeah sure but with the correct distancing not sparring....god right now if I was told we were allowed to spar I still wouldn't do it yet....I thought my area was relaxing things quick but if clubs are allowed to be sparring already that's just dumb frankly....here public fitness gyms aren't even open yet

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

also I'm sick of hearing that nonsense "they should be allowed to make their own choices" no they shouldn't because it's not just themself they're putting at risk. It's everyone they come into contact with they have the potential to kill. Family, friends, random strangers in the street.

So no people shouldn't be allowed to make their own choices right now....it's because of people making their own choice that's got the world into this mess in the first place with people making their own choice to travel and infect over countries, people's choice to go into work and risk getting their friends sick.

This isn't a game right now....this is people's lives being seriously put at risk.....me personally I'm not willing to do that for a bit of sparring

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Well we can agree to disagree. ;)

Most things have opened back up around us. And everything looks like it doesn't affect teenagers that much.

And from all the cases I have seen it doesn't look that bad for regular people that don't have underlying conditions or who aren't elderly.

Daily briefings indicate we are in pretty good shape and we returned back to work last week.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well we can agree to disagree. ;)

Most things have opened back up around us. And everything looks like it doesn't affect teenagers that much.

And from all the cases I have seen it doesn't look that bad for regular people that don't have underlying conditions or who aren't elderly.

Daily briefings indicate we are in pretty good shape and we returned back to work last week.
My gut tells me this is a big mistake and eventually the magnitude of it will become clear. It might take a little while. I hope I am wrong.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jake is happy.

I think it's great that Jake is happy! Besides, kids are resilient, you know. They are also germy little buggers. Hope he doesn't carry something home and kill grampa.

....unless, maybe you stand to inherit a lot? Personally, my dad's 95. We talk on the phone a often. I really like having him alive. :)

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
My gut tells me this is a big mistake and eventually the magnitude of it will become clear. It might take a little while. I hope I am wrong.

From what I hear, we are in a lull that will go through the summer and then the 2nd wave will come in the fall.

For example, currently at the Covid 19 shelter I work at we have 2 patients.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
BTW - I worked out with a couple of my Escrima guys this morning, wearing a mask and mostly keeping some distance. But, like always ...we probably got a little too close during a couple of paired drills, and I found myself instinctively doing some "live hand" checks to the arm and even the body of my partners. It happens. That's the problem with rushing things.

In our case, we wear masks, use hand sanitizer, and break to chill-out a bit when we start ramping it up with a little too much contact. The problem is, like CB's son Jake, this is what makes us happy.

Oh, and CB,
don't mind me. I was just born a smart-***. ;)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
From what I hear, we are in a lull that will go through the summer and then the 2nd wave will come in the fall.

Yeah! That's what I'm hearing too. And that's not good news. I don't think our economy can take another prolonged shut down. And I'll be 65 in July. :eek: ...Don't really want to die next fall. But, like I said in an earlier post, I did finally get a will & trust made out to take care of my kids. So that's good, right? :)

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah! That's what I'm hearing too. And that's not good news. I don't think our economy can take another prolonged shut down. And I'll be 65 in July. :eek: ...Don't really want to die next fall. But, like I said in an earlier post, I did finally get a will & trust made out to take care of my kids. So that's good, right? :)

Good news is treatments are getting better.

My dad is 73 and has been on oxygen for the last year and a half (has smoked for 50 years) and have been on pretty strict quarantine

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Those are inferences based on how other viruses behave. No guarantee that this one will behave in the same way.

You have two known cases in the shelter. Which means likely a fair number of unknowns due to a lack of testing availability to the general public. That number can change quickly.

This thing is still very much with us. The bullets are still flying and we need to keep dodging.

Latest Discussions