What is your plan for re-opening?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If your government is going to re-open all at once, are you going to re-open as soon as you are able, or wait for some of the craziness to subside?

If your government is phasing the re-opening, are you going to open at the earliest phase you can and comply with restrictions, or are you going to wait until you can fully re-open?

I live in a phased area. We're hoping to open the earliest we can. However, we may have to have some restrictions we otherwise wouldn't:
  • Limit of class to 15 students (down from a maximum I've seen of almost 50)
  • No parents watching class (to create more room for next class to assemble and for social distancing)
  • No holding pads
  • No sparring
  • No self-defense drills with partner
It seems very limiting, but honestly a lot of these are the issues we've had to deal with doing classes online. What are your plans to re-open your school?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My opinion: some states are hell-bent on opening too soon. Very few states are showing an actual decline. Many are actually increasing. Go slow. Go slower than your State. Wait at least a month, maybe two, after your State says it’s ok. See where and how bad the Covid cases spike in your area. If there is no spike, well better to err on the safe side. If there is a big (or even moderate) spike, then you dodged a bullet and didn’t contribute to that. What seems like a small spike can grow quickly, is likely widespread by the time folks are aware of it at all.

Go slow. Go slow. Go slow.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't run a dojo, but if I did and I was able to afford it-I would wait about a month after the state reopens to see what happens. I'd also make sure that I'm transparent with everyone that I'm doing this, why, and continue the zoom classes. After that month is when I'd go into the phased one that you mentioned. Ultimately, safety is more important than martial arts.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I plan on waiting until I have enough context to feel very comfortable, then work out some return protocols with my students. We train very hands on with a lot of contact. It's hard to imagine doing so safely.

No rush on may part. I'm in touch with my students and everyone is doing the training that they can in isolation.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Am open.
Was closed for 2 weeks. Have been doing one on one sessions, semi-privates up to 4 people and small groups no more that 10.
Everyone has their temperature taken with a infrared thermometer when them first come into the door. They must wash their hands and face immediately. We are doing form, individual drills and exercises, heavy bag work, pad work, and weapons work at range. No Wrestling, Throwing, Takedowns, or BJJ.
All equipment is sprayed and wiped immediately upon a person finishing using it. Mats are disinfected at the end of every session. If you have a cough or temp Please Do Not Come In. You will be turned away.

I have Kids, Teens, and Adults.
Kids are the most difficult to keep them focused on maintaining distancing. So no more than 4 kids at a time doing any drills or exercises, the others sit, watch, and wait their turn.
It's working well for us.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Am open.
Was closed for 2 weeks. Have been doing one on one sessions, semi-privates up to 4 people and small groups no more that 10.
Everyone has their temperature taken with a infrared thermometer when them first come into the door. They must wash their hands and face immediately. We are doing form, individual drills and exercises, heavy bag work, pad work, and weapons work at range. No Wrestling, Throwing, Takedowns, or BJJ.
All equipment is sprayed and wiped immediately upon a person finishing using it. Mats are disinfected at the end of every session. If you have a cough or temp Please Do Not Come In. You will be turned away.

Kids are the most difficult to keep them focused on maintaining distancing. So no more than 4 kids at a time doing any drills or exercises, the others sit, watch, and wait their turn.
How are you determining who to allow in for class? Is it first come/first serve, or is there a schedule they log into, or something else?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Everyone has their temperature taken ...
Do they have face mask on?

Yesterday, I was running. A girl appeared at the corner. I immediately put my face mask on. After i passed the corner, I could hear that girl said something and was not very happy about my reaction.

Another day, when I ran, I met an old lady, After I put my face mask on, the old lady asked me, "Are you OK?" I didn't say anything, but I was going to ask her, "I'm OK, but how do I know that you are OK?"

When people move closer toward me without face mask on, I immediately step back. I don't think people understand that when I put face mask on, I respect that person and also that person's family.

I always put face mask on in the public. When people don't put face mask on, it bothers me big time.

Last edited:
OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yesterday, I was running. A girl appeared at the corner. I immediately put my face mask on. After i passed the corner, I could hear that girl said something and was not very happy about my reaction.

When people move closer toward me without face mask on, I immediately step back. I don't think people understand that when I put face mask on, I respect that person and also that person's family.

I always put face mask on in the public. When people don't put face mask on, it bothers me big time.

I don't personally wear the mask, but I don't make fun of people that do.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't personally wear the mask, but I don't make fun of people that do.
I don't personally eat meat, but I don't make fun of people that do.

Whether people eat meat or not is not my business. But when people don't wear face mask around me, it can be my business, or even my family members business.

When I run, I keep dodging people who doesn't wear face mask. Sometime I just wonder whether my running exercise is worthwhile for the risk that I'm taking.

This is the issue. Until we understand that "one for all, and all for one", we are not ready to open our society yet.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Another day, when I ran, I met an old lady, After I put my face mask on, the old lady asked me, "Are you OK?" I didn't say anything, but I was going to ask her, "I'm OK, but how do I know that you are OK?"

For reference, I live in one of the top 20 counties in terms of covid infections per 100k, so while it's a serious issue everywhere, it's a serious issue here. I go out for a walk/run every day I'm not working. If I was by myself, I wouldn't bother-but if we don't with everything going on my fiancee has no opportunity/reason to leave the apartment (and we get no sun in our apartment). I put my mask on and switch sides of the street every time I see someone. Very few people are wearing their own mask, which bothers me-me wearing my mask is for their protection not mine. Them not wearing theirs is potentially harming me, not them. But I've yet to have anyone that I've realized give me a look or respond badly to me putting on my mask and avoiding them. That's probably a result of the increased infections here (last I checked somewhere between 2.5 and 3 percent of people in my county have covid).

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Am open.

Well if you turn away someone with a temperature, then you stopped someone who is obviously sick. That is good. But you still got close enough to take their temperature. Which might turn out bad for you or for others who came to your school that day.

What do you do to determine those who are not yet showing symptoms? Or those who might never show symptoms? If those folks are infected, they are still highly contagious but nobody knows it.

How do you account for or mitigate that factor?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For reference, I live in one of the top 20 counties in terms of covid infections per 100k, so while it's a serious issue everywhere, it's a serious issue here. I go out for a walk/run every day I'm not working. If I was by myself, I wouldn't bother-but if we don't with everything going on my fiancee has no opportunity/reason to leave the apartment (and we get no sun in our apartment). I put my mask on and switch sides of the street every time I see someone. Very few people are wearing their own mask, which bothers me-me wearing my mask is for their protection not mine. Them not wearing theirs is potentially harming me, not them. But I've yet to have anyone that I've realized give me a look or respond badly to me putting on my mask and avoiding them. That's probably a result of the increased infections here (last I checked somewhere between 2.5 and 3 percent of people in my county have covid).
As a side note, today is the second day that I saw a protest shortly outside my house about the masks. Not about reopening or the economy or anything, but seemed from the signs to be just about the mask. Most signs said "freedom over fear", "my body my choice", and one quoted the 1st amendment word for word (which confused me as they were being allowed to exercise that right by protesting). About a quarter of them were wearing masks (which also confused me), and they were all super close. Way more than 100 people, which means at least 2-3 of them probably had covid, and probably spread it.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As a side note, today is the second day that I saw a protest shortly outside my house about the masks. Not about reopening or the economy or anything, but seemed from the signs to be just about the mask. Most signs said "freedom over fear", "my body my choice", and one quoted the 1st amendment word for word (which confused me as they were being allowed to exercise that right by protesting). About a quarter of them were wearing masks (which also confused me), and they were all super close. Way more than 100 people, which means at least 2-3 of them probably had covid, and probably spread it.
I gotta be honest, these protesters are deplorable. Some of the worst people Ive seen in a long time, endangering everyone around them. And doing it belligerently. Some of them bring their young children with them to these protests. Those people who do that should be prosecuted for child endangerment.

Sure, they have the right to do stupid things to endanger themselves. But they do not have the right to endanger others. I’ve seen footage of the bar scene in Platteville, WI, which is a small town about ten miles from the small town where I grew up and lived until I went to college and then moved to California. Since the State Supreme Court shot down the governor’s stay-at-home order, people are literally doing anything they please. The infection rate in WI continues to rise, not fall. People sitting in groups in bars, no attempts at distancing nor wearing masks. Breaks my heart to see that, my childhood was in that area and my parents still live there. Makes me never want to go there, seeing how stupid those people can be.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I gotta be honest, these protesters are deplorable. Some of the worst people Ive seen in a long time, endangering everyone around them. And doing it belligerently. Some of them bring their young children with them to these protests. Those people who do that should be prosecuted for child endangerment.

Sure, they have the right to do stupid things to endanger themselves. But they do not have the right to endanger others. I’ve seen footage of the bar scene in Platteville, WI, which is a small town about ten miles from the small town where I grew up and lived until I went to college and then moved to California. Since the State Supreme Court shot down the governor’s stay-at-home order, people are literally doing anything they please. The infection rate in WI continues to rise, not fall. People sitting in groups in bars, no attempts at distancing nor wearing masks. Breaks my heart to see that, my childhood was in that area and my parents still live there. Makes me never want to go there, seeing how stupid those people can be.
For the first time in this whole thing I'm happy being in NY, knowing it's going down here, and we're still having restrictions.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You never wear a mask? If you go to the grocery store, or otherwise interact with people outside of the people you live with?
i never wear one EVER and i do make fun of people who do

excuse me are you the lone ranger,doesn't work well with any one under 50. if they are so worried about personal contact they wear a mask, it seems unlikely they will come close enough to hit you, so you can say what you like

i have noticed that some ethnic backgrounds are a lot keen on mask than others, people of east Asian backgrounds seem obsessed with them

i have seen a few folk with a bandanna round their mouth but it was unclear if it was for virus protection or they were about to commit a robbery

Latest Discussions