What is wrong with the martial arts today?

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While I tend to agree with much of your post, Bester, and find a lot of it true and saddening, I tend to focus on doing what MA I know with honor and dignity. I try to present myself in a way that shines a positive light on my Sensei, my dojo and myself. I cannot battle every injustice that rears it's head in MA today nor can I return MA to some mythical perfect place in it's history. What I can do is be decent and strive to pass this point of view on to the ones younger than me. This, in itself, minimizes the dark side simply by increasing the light.

:asian:

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just as no one can stop someone from eating too many big macs, no one can stop someone from handing out worthless symbols at a McDojo. I think its best to accept the things that one cannot change and move on to the things that one can. All one can really do about the yahoos in MA is shrug ones shoulders and move on...and perhaps rant about them on the internet...;)

As far as internet warriors go, I think they should be forced to take the following as their signature...

"I accept full responsability for what is posted above. Any mistakes contained herein are, first and foremost, my fault.

Offered humbly and with respect

*insert name*"

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Martial arts is very much like religion. It is a lifestyle built on guiding principles designed to produce more spiritually centered human beings.

But martial artists, like all religious people, are already human beings before we ever venture through the dojo/chapel door. Our individual personalities enter into our perspective and thus affect the end result of our training.

If this were not so, all martial artists would be spiritually pure and technically sound. This isn't the case, of course. Greater notice is taken of those that aren't because they are in conflict with the basic tenets of The Art.

It isn't the McDojo or kid black belts or whatever that is the cause of the problem. They are just the symptom. It is the spirit within those that never overcome their own dark psyche to become more.

None of us will ever achieve the true enlightenment we seek in The Art. There will always be more to learn. It is our unwillingness to let our spirit fail that will ultimately determine the sort of martial artists (and person) we become.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bester said:
(...)What I can't understand though, is why spend so much time, effort and energy trying to damage or destroy another when that same time could be better spent bettering oneself, and growing in a positive direction.

I guess I will never understand these sad little people.

There are those in this world, not just the arts, who's sense of self-worth is based solely on pressing others down below their level; rather than lifting themselves higher. They also tend to be the noisiest, thereby garnering more notice than the quiet, humble individual.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
There are those in this world, not just the arts, who's sense of self-worth is based solely on pressing others down below their level; rather than lifting themselves higher. They also tend to be the noisiest, thereby garnering more notice than the quiet, humble individual.

Yep. They are often the people who were insecure bullies as kids and have now reached adulthood without gaining any maturity. It's easier to put others down to make themselves look better, or walk around boasting about how humble they are. The truly humble individual is not in the spotlight, they don't care if they're in the spotlight. The whole situation is a sad but common occurance in humanity.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:

I wish I could pos rep you for that Egg. But I have to spread it around a little first.

People who feel it is their need, want, desire or duty to knock others down suffer from low self esteem. It is truly sad, because some of these individuals are probably good people at heart, they just don't know how to make themselves rise above it all without hurting those around them.

Pam, you rock too. Very true statements.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Just as no one can stop someone from eating too many big macs, no one can stop someone from handing out worthless symbols at a McDojo. I think its best to accept the things that one cannot change and move on to the things that one can. All one can really do about the yahoos in MA is shrug ones shoulders and move on...and perhaps rant about them on the internet...;)

Agreed, as much as ti might be wrong to give these out, who cares? let them do things their way. Just cause someone did their business in the corner is no reason to go and poke at it and smear it on the walls to illustrate it was done. That just makes the whole place stink.

OP
Bester

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
I'm good at ranting on the internet. A few may have noticed that.

I don't go into the "dojo busting" childishness that some miss. I see these victims though, and I pity them. SO much potential, wasted.

It's not a location thing, many good martial artists have come from mall schools, or back room above the boiler little rat holes. It's the instructor, his completeness as a martial artist, and his ability to train vs just collect money. I see too much money focus, not enough person focus. Doesn't matter to me what aspect you are working on, combat, art, fitness. I see the goal as becoming better than you are.

If I train in a traditional school, I work traditionally. If I train in a non-trad school, I follow their way. I'm not in this for belts, fame, or money. I'm in it to walk out knowing one more thing, being able to go 1% more than I could, being that little bit better than I was, before.

I think we, as professionals, as teachers, as leaders should light the way, be guides, be friends, but most of all, be positive influences to those we surround.

If enough of us do that, it may be the light that puts these frauds out of business, that forces these deceitful types to move on, or, maybe even to clean up and join us on our journey of enlightenment.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The question is, what can we do about it? There are always going to be people in this world whose goal is to make a name for themselves, make themselves feel better by bringing down or denigrating others, or trying to take advantage of people for their own financial gain. Because of the "ideals" of martial arts, they just happen to stand out a bit more than in other parts of society.

Having perused a few websites before settling here, it seems that most members are here are already doing what they can by trying to "walk the walk" and not just be the tough guy with lots of belts and trophies, running a couple of McDojos, tearing into anybody who questions them. Is it possible for those who really care to have an impact on those that are bringing down the arts, or do we just retreat into our sanctuaries of training, where we know that we're getting the real deal? I know of a few top notch schools that nobodies ever heard of because they choose not to be part of the hype. Is there another answer?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bester said:
I've seen sections of this and other sites that once flourished, wither and die as these and a few other types of degenerates move in and push out everyone they can't corrupt. Eventually, you either have to cut out the cancer, and what it has spread to, or give up and let them run your site.

You make some good points, but in defense of this forum, in my experience it has been very polite and respectful overall. Yes, sometimes things get a bit heated between individuals, and of course I have not read all the threads or sections of the forum, but the ones in which I have been active have been very decent overall. Perhaps there are things going on here that I have been oblivious to.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bester said:
I'm good at ranting on the internet. A few may have noticed that.

I'm not ripping on you Bester, I'm just trying to inject a little levity...;)

I don't go into the "dojo busting" childishness that some miss. I see these victims though, and I pity them. SO much potential, wasted.

It's not a location thing, many good martial artists have come from mall schools, or back room above the boiler little rat holes. It's the instructor, his completeness as a martial artist, and his ability to train vs just collect money. I see too much money focus, not enough person focus. Doesn't matter to me what aspect you are working on, combat, art, fitness. I see the goal as becoming better than you are.

If I train in a traditional school, I work traditionally. If I train in a non-trad school, I follow their way. I'm not in this for belts, fame, or money. I'm in it to walk out knowing one more thing, being able to go 1% more than I could, being that little bit better than I was, before.

I think we, as professionals, as teachers, as leaders should light the way, be guides, be friends, but most of all, be positive influences to those we surround.

If enough of us do that, it may be the light that puts these frauds out of business, that forces these deceitful types to move on, or, maybe even to clean up and join us on our journey of enlightenment.

I consider myself to be a pretty good cook. Recently, I started making japanese food. Sushi is my latest experiment and I recently got a "not bad" comment from an actual sushi chef. (He may have been humoring me, but I'm chosing to take this in a positive light for now.) The bottom line is that I worked hard to learn how to do it. Despite this, I know that there are alot of people out there who would rather go to Mcdonalds and stuff their faces with chemically enhanced psuedofood then eat anything that I could make.

Some people are just willing to accept what happens at McDojos. They survive and thrive because people WANT that. Its the path of least resistence. You've got to take a risk to try something different, like eat sushi, or take a martial art from an instructor that will give you something of quality.

I searched for 10 years to find an instructor that fit what I wanted. Settling for a McDojo was never an option and for many others, it never will be. So, as long as there are some out there offering a higher quality product, the people that want it, will come looking. My sushi is alright, if you've got the guts to try it. Martial arts is no different.

M

muffin_cup_of_death

Yay, I topic I can finally agree on. Oh boy, what a GREAT question! " what is wrong with martial arts today?" Wow, where to start. better get comfy, this could take a while. Seriously, I am ashamed to even be in the same category as some of these people. I am ashamed when I see what they do to people, mislead people, and rake in the dough while doing it. its a crazy world we live in.

Lets start with my favorite subject...traditional martial arts.
Ok, I can see where this would be a good art for girls, or college kids, to learn the history of a culture, and how it was done centurys ago. But to try and practice it, train in it, and apply it to modern day, your on crack. How can something that was only effective in that time period possibly be effective in our current day? Now, im not talking about the people who take it for what it is, and learn all about it, and follow the path of the ancient ones. But I love it when black belts, and instructors , and high ranking students believe this stuff would work in a fight is absurd. Most traditional arts learn by a long list of katas, and "so called sequences that relate to a fight". These robotic reactions will never work in reality. PERIOD. You cannot react to alive thing with a 1-2-3 manuever, it must be instinctive, instantaneous, and explosive...without having to think. And why the hell would I want to learn a language in another part of the world? I dont live in japan, china, etc...If I wanted to learn foreign language, I'd have signed up for it in High school. LMAO! I have met so amny of these big headed karate masters, and they are pathetic. Most will admit to never have even been in a real fight! So how the **** Edited to conform to MT's Profanity policy (Let the Filter do it's thing) can they know it would work in a fight? ASSUME. GUESS, BELIEVE...HOPE! I wish it was the way it was in the book "musashi", then I could walk into schools, and kick the crap outta these people legally. That would be great. If your gonna study traditional arts, keep it tradtional, and dont pretend its modern...your confused or something.
Now, about these money mongrels corroding the system, I cant stand it. You'd think with millions, and millions, and billions of schools out there, it would be about 10 cents an hour for training...but no, it is only going up. My former sensei is charging 60$ an hour for instruction, which is one of the reasons I left his school. I was not going to become what he was. he daily ripped people off, and was so arrogant, he HAD to carry a gun ( this a 7th Dan remember) everywhere he went because he had so many enemies. it didnt matter anymore that he was a "grandmaster" his gun did all the talking. He would have it sitting on his desk while talking to prospective students, and current students as an intimidation tactic...like he would always have the upper hand. And another one of my teachers was so arrogant, if a student were to ever question anything, or do anything one itsy bit wrong, even white belts they would get hit, or punished severely. I have seen enough.

Lets talk about tournaments...oh I love this.
These gatherings of crud are nothing more than dance routines,(katas) and games of tag(sparring) YOUR IT! NO YOUR IT! You grazed my head...EXCESSIVE FORCE! Disqualified! Nothing but comedy.
I used to have this friend who was in karate...he must have had about 50 or so trophys. The first time we got in a fight, half a dozen gangsters jumped us...well me cause he ran after getting slapped a few times, then I was left to fight them all, one had a knife. I survived....barely. he did too. So I guess we were both winners right? See what I mean? All that training...all that ego, then BAM! suddenly reality hits...and you realize its alot diffent than the soft padded mats, and little kids standing around clapping at your perfect roundhouse. Its all a big joke. ANd now I see all this marketing, like Martial arts is a game. With spngebob kar_ah_tay shirts...and these little cute looking baby dragons, and all sorts of crap. We are supposed to be warriors! Wake up and smell your pantys! JEEZ.

I am tired of typing, but that should be enough to get alot of people mad at me. ( especially if you were described above) and feel offended. I dont care. Many of you should feel offended. maybe that will snap you outta whatever dreamland you are in. And anyone who really loves drama, and gossip, and fighting, and arguing, go to the ninja section, its out of control in there.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
One thing wrong with the martial arts today, and I guess this wouldn't be limited to just the martial arts, but could apply to many things, is when people are very broadly judgmental about things that they know little or nothing about...

ok, i took the bait. couldn't help myself. bad boy. BAAD BOY! (self flagillation)

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
People who really think that this is really anything else but a hobby.

Some of you guys take this WAY TO SERIOUSLY.

Life is short have a beer.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would think that one so disillusioned with anything would choose to depart, rather than remain and be so miserable.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
muffin_cup_of_death said:
And anyone who really loves drama, and gossip, and fighting, and arguing, go to the ninja section, its out of control in there.

Totaly, we are like "Ninjas Gone Wild" in there... College Ninjas Exposing everything, Playing with no rules...

Just the other day I was flashing for beads...

Heh heh.

Captain Harlock

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You are right, the "robotic patterns" do not work in a fight. They however do teach basics that with experience one can learn effective fighting skills. This does not happen overnight. One also must have the ability to listen to the instructor, and not take the superior attitude.

You have much anger within you. Your post shows much of what is wrong with those who take classes.

Ranks and belts are simply symbols. True martial arts is within, and has as much to do with not fighting as it does fighting.

There is over commercialization, that is true. However, even the real masters need to eat.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
I would think that one so disillusioned with anything would choose to depart, rather than remain and be so miserable.

Those choices get made for some people. Usually in a bar when they mouth off to the wrong person, which is (in my opinion) the real reason we study and dont see it as a hobby as other suggest... There are plenty of people who would do us harm just because they think they can.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:

Yeah man. If its not fun find something else you like to do huh? Besides going to class this is the most other martial arts thinking I have done right here.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
muffin_cup_of_death said:
I used to have this friend who was in karate...he must have had about 50 or so trophys. The first time we got in a fight, half a dozen gangsters jumped us...well me cause he ran after getting slapped a few times, then I was left to fight them all, one had a knife. I survived....barely. he did too. So I guess we were both winners right? See what I mean? All that training...

Maybe all that training taught him that when you get jumped by a half dozen gangsters with knives, the only intelligent thing to do is run. No matter what kind of training you have had.

Latest Discussions