What is the purpose in your MA training?

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thank you to show me this through your eyes :) Yes truthful and honest with oneself that make perfect sense.. and but some time you will fight a fight you will not win.. can you tell me it is not fitting that you ought to accept this as defeat? what are you saying about not accepting defeat? Thank you for your thought on this!

No, it's not defeat until your mind accepts it as being defeated. I believe it was Benjamin Franklin who once said, "I did not fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." If I were to apply Mr. Franklin's philosophy to martial arts training, then although sometimes we might get bested in sparring or have difficulty with our performance, we do not give up. Tony Jaa once said, "I never lose. Either I win, or I learn." That's the mentality I have now when approaching martial arts. Thank you Jenna for bringing this matter to light.

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score
yes!! Actually it makes a lot of sense Trevor what you have written.. is straightforward and balanced and show awareness, and no fluff.. I take a deal of meaning from what you have said.. thank you.. This deep and meaningful connection.. it count for any thing? like why it is worth having day to day you know? like when you are dealing with what you have said aspects of reality that are uncomfortable and very real the deep and meaningful connection how it come into play?? I hope you do not mind me picking your brains :)

I don't mind. :) I think that we choose to find connection where we can that works for us, everyone is different that way so what causes this sense will vary from person to person. I also think that a lot of it has to deal with balance. You have to have the good with the bad, otherwise you loose perspective.

oh and about what you say.. where every thing is roses and ugliness of existence fades away.. I think to my self can that be other than just escapism and delusion.. can that be the point in our existence where we do not worry or fear any more? maybe is not just for trippin out? maybe be actual.. what would it take for you to not worry nor fear any more? acceptance yes? you allude to it I think :) xo

I would say that there is a difference between acceptance (what you mentioned) and avoidance (what I mentioned). In acceptance, you acknowledge the good, bad, and the ugly, but you see the beauty in it and you see how it connects with the bigger picture. In that, I agree with you that when you understand where people come from and you understand how to interact with them in relation to that understanding, the fear and the worry fades away and you just know. It is like the old analogy: Peace is not the absence of conflict, it is the ability to effectively respond to it when it comes up. Which brings us back to martial arts as one of many tools that can help foster one's spiritual growth. :)

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No, it's not defeat until your mind accepts it as being defeated. I believe it was Benjamin Franklin who once said, "I did not fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." If I were to apply Mr. Franklin's philosophy to martial arts training, then although sometimes we might get bested in sparring or have difficulty with our performance, we do not give up. Tony Jaa once said, "I never lose. Either I win, or I learn." That's the mentality I have now when approaching martial arts. Thank you Jenna for bringing this matter to light.
Thank you for this :) will you explain for me can the body be defeated if the mind do not accept defeat? because I have heard that said and but I do not know how it is always true??

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There is some thing wrong with you as a person like just as you were even before your training??? And even now you still do it because you still need be better person?? why is that?? you are not a person who is ok enough to do?? Thank you xo
If one strives constantly for excellence in something, then they will strive for excellence in everything. Over the years, martial arts has taught me the truth of the adage "good enough....isn't". 20-20 hindsight makes me realize that I was pretty much a snot when I started training. The constant emphasis on courtesy, respect, discipline, etc. has become part of my life and I am a nicer person as a result.

To paraphrase GM Gichin Funakoshi:
“The ultimate aim of (martial arts) lies not in victory nor defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants ”

Latest Discussions