What is the purpose in your MA training?

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think it changes over the years. At first it was fascination. Then it became something else. Then, if you teach, it changes again, and suddenly it has more importance. I believe teaching Martial Arts is a great responsibility.

If I am lucky enough to lie on my death bed and think about things gone by, I believe I'll be smiling.
I hope it is ok to ask (some time I am unsure) and but why do you think for you it is more important to teach than to continue with that fascination? thank you :)

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I always want to develop "at least 1 thing" that I can do better than anybody else on this planet. If I have spent 20,000 hours to develop something, I'm sure my result will be better than someone who has only spent 1,000 hours to develop the same thing.
So, and maybe among other things, your martial arts practice provide a vehicle for you to become the best on the planet at the 1 thing?? thank you

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I train because it has become part of the warp and weft of my life. It is my 'way', what I do. It is what I understand as a 'do' (Japanese 'doh', not American English 'doo').

Self-defense is part of it, physical fitness (or more honestly, physical activity) is part of it, but the real reason I train now is because I enjoy everything about it. Mostly, though, it's internal now. It's what it does for my spirit, rather than what it does for my fists. Yes, I still hit like a train and kick like a mule, but if that's all I wanted to do, I can do that now.

It is the settling of my weight, locking to the floor. It is the spring tension as I receive a blow, or the uncoiling power as I strike. It is the speed and precision and control which I find within myself. It is my breathing, coordinated with my movement. It is the moments of clarity as I discover some new nuance, some new minute adjustment to my posture; or my attitude, which I had previously been unable to perceive. It is the manner in which I live my life outside the dojo and inside, and how little by little, my outside life comes to represent the lessons I have learned inside the dojo. Self-restraint, courtesy, kindness, resolve, steadfastness, determination, even humor.

Everything I ever wanted for myself as I looked for my purpose in life, I have found within the walls of a small nondescript dojo, surrounded by friends who were once strangers and are now people I would trust with my life.

I hope to train until I die. And why not? It gives me something more important than mere pleasure; it gives me meaning.
Wow that is poetic in phrasing and poignant in depiction thank you :) You have said training in MA it is more important than mere pleasure and it give you meaning.. can I ask please if it is ok.. like were you unable to physically train would there be a spiritual (you know pardon my term) yes those non-physical attributes like you have listed: courtesy, kindness, resolve.. would having acquired these through your training allow you in any way at all to continue MA training even in a non-physical way? hope that is not too peculiar a question thank you :)

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Mental and physical stimulation. Most other forms of exercise for me are very very boring, or require a lot of people to do (i.e. teamsports). I don't have many friends so Martial Arts gives me a good mental and physical workout that doesn't rely on other people. Sure, if there is someone else with me I can spar with, fantastic, but if I'm on my own I can still train just as effectively.
Thank you, I am interested too that you say mental workout.. because I wonder do you think martial arts practice give any more of a mental workout than like spin class at the gym or chinups and benchpresses?? like is there some thing about martial arts that imbue it with some thing b eyond just physical body mechanics I mean more so than other physical activity that some one can do?? I am grateful :)

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I love getting my hands on sweaty men.

Really, I think it started as a kid with the fantasy of being some ninja warrior. And also on a level of just wanting to be able to defend myself (or others) if I needed to. I think it's still one of the driving factors today.

Another factor is fitness. I'm always sweating buckets by the end of class, and ache all over afterwards, which means I've been getting in a workout as I'm having fun.

Lastly is the sense of satisfaction of putting in the time for something and getting better at it. I used to walk in and get my *** kicked over and over and over. Now, depending on who I spar with, that might still happen, or I might last longer, or I might put someone on the defensive, or I might kick their *** over and over.
So it be ok to see this as self-improvement maybe? If so, does that sense that you are bettering your self does it add any to your confidence or esteem in general or it is purely when you are training?? thank you

oh, and I love getting my hands on sweaty men too haha.. :p

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've wanted to learn karate for as long as I can remember. Maybe it was Kung Fu Theater, Bruce Lee, and the WWF's influence on me when I was a kid. I always had a fascination with being this fighting machine. Not to hurt people, but I guess just for me to know I'm badass lol. Kind of hard to put into words. I still have a part of me that feels that way, and I'm 40. I haven't reached that level of badassness though :)

There are too many things to list as to what keeps me going back, but here's my top two (because they're a tie)...

1. I'm too competitive to stop. Not competitive with others; I don't care if I'm the worst one in the building (I'm not) or the best (not even close). I have to outdo myself. I have to be better than I currently am. I have to do better than I thought I could. I have to stop make my the mistakes I'm currently making. I'm after mastery of my art, yet I know I'll never truly master it. Even if I am fortunate enough to one day EARN a master rank.

2. Inside the dojo, the outside world doesn't exist. I don't have time to think about the ridiculousness of work when someone's trying to kick me upside the head. My argument with my wife doesn't cross my mind when someone's trying to punch me in the stomach. And on and on. The only thing that exists is what's in front of me at that moment. For an hour and a half, nothing else exists, nothing else matters. On my way home, those problems that annoyed the hell out of me cause me into perspective. The serious ones, such as my grandmother being in hospice care come back, but they're easier to face. The insignificant ones like my daughters not wanting to eat their dinner just go away.
Is very thoughtful post thank you :) I like how your training can help you to establish a perspective on other issues in your life beyond the mats.. I know that feeling and but did not think of it that way before.. ah it cannot be easy on you or your family that your poor gran is in hospice care.. wishes to you :) and what do a balanced dad do when his daughters do not want to eat dinner?? careful with your answer mind!! :D aw thank you again

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jenna, you post the most relevant and provocative questions.
Is kind of you thank you xo.. I think there is great benefit in shared experience.. not theory and but actual.. I am just greedy for that even though I am impatiently waiting for your answer to that question! :)

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you, I am interested too that you say mental workout.. because I wonder do you think martial arts practice give any more of a mental workout than like spin class at the gym or chinups and benchpresses?? like is there some thing about martial arts that imbue it with some thing b eyond just physical body mechanics I mean more so than other physical activity that some one can do?? I am grateful :)

It's a lot simpler than that. When I'm running, swimming or cycling I can pretty much just go on autopilot and let my body work, whereas when I'm doing my Martial Arts (particularly the forms) I have to think about what each part of my body is doing. Is my footwork correct? Am I doing proper breathing? Is my stance strong enough? Are my arms relaxed? There is simply a lot more to think about. I'm sure once I've been training for 10+ years a lot of that stuff will be ingrained in muscle memory, but for now I have to think about everything I'm doing.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow that is poetic in phrasing and poignant in depiction thank you :) You have said training in MA it is more important than mere pleasure and it give you meaning.. can I ask please if it is ok.. like were you unable to physically train would there be a spiritual (you know pardon my term) yes those non-physical attributes like you have listed: courtesy, kindness, resolve.. would having acquired these through your training allow you in any way at all to continue MA training even in a non-physical way? hope that is not too peculiar a question thank you :)

I don't think my journey would be stopped. The pathways my training has opened in my mind remain open, and I believe I could continue to push forward even without the ability to train. I do kata in my sleep and during active daydreaming, as I'm sure many of us do.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So, and maybe among other things, your martial arts practice provide a vehicle for you to become the best on the planet at the 1 thing?? thank you
I can only speak for my own field. My best skills help me to win 3 years (1982, 1983, 1984) US national Shuai Chiao (Chinese wrestling) champion in heavy weight division. In 1984, I competed in super heavy weight division just to test my strength. I stopped tournament competition after that.

I think there is great benefit in shared experience.. not theory and but actual.
My best technique are "head lock" and "single leg". In one 1981 Chicago tournament, I had used "single leg" to win 7 rounds in a role. I had forced myself to use single leg only on the map for 6 months. This training method is very valuable - to concentrate on just 1 technique for 6 months.

Last edited:

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was 8 and getting beaten up at/after school, it was to not get beaten up any more. Simple. Having achieved that goal, I found that I rather enjoyed the competition, well probably it was the winning when I consider from whence it started. In mid-term it was physical conditioning and rehabilitation. Now, it's to polish and pass on the neat-O stuff I've picked up along the way and enjoy the comraderie of the dojo.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Is kind of you thank you xo.. I think there is great benefit in shared experience.. not theory and but actual.. I am just greedy for that even though I am impatiently waiting for your answer to that question! :)

We'll, that's the thing with provacotive questions, they require contimplative answers...

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So it be ok to see this as self-improvement maybe? If so, does that sense that you are bettering your self does it add any to your confidence or esteem in general or it is purely when you are training?? thank you

oh, and I love getting my hands on sweaty men too haha.. :p

Yeah, I would say that it could be seen as self-improvement. Also, I would agree that it's a confidence booster. The fitter and more experienced I get, there is a stronger sense of me feeling that I can take care of things if need be. You never know... that person could be a golden gloves boxer, division I collegiate wrestling champ, or a 3rd degree black belt in judo but the chances aren't high.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Chicks dig it. Is there any other purpose?

See, that's the problem with Martial Arts; when you do it well you look like a complete badass. Do it badly though and you look like a total loser. Moral of the story: Don't screw up in front of the ladies.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started in about 1969. At different times in my life, my purpose has probably matched any reason anybody has posted.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was never the cool kid, so at 43 I started TKD.....
Maybe the people who thought you were a cool kid would have been too timid to tell you :) Can I ask if it would be possible to say what -if anything- changed about you since you started TKD at 43? thank you

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Chicks dig it. Is there any other purpose?
Aha at least you are honest!! :D Tho what if she her self can fight? is the allure lost on her?

Latest Discussions