What is the purpose in your MA training?

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
See, that's the problem with Martial Arts; when you do it well you look like a complete badass. Do it badly though and you look like a total loser. Moral of the story: Don't screw up in front of the ladies.
How much do you think women like men that are badass? :)

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I started in about 1969. At different times in my life, my purpose has probably matched any reason anybody has posted.
DD can you say if things become difficult in life have you found is your training put to the bottom or brought to the fore? thank you x

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I hope it is ok to ask (some time I am unsure) and but why do you think for you it is more important to teach than to continue with that fascination? thank you :)

You can ask anything, Jenna. Any time.

The fascination is still there. I think it is for everyone who still trains, it's just no longer the sole motivating factor.

I don't take myself seriously, I don't take a lot of things seriously that perhaps I should. But that only affects me. Teaching affects other people, a lot. I take teaching seriously. That's not to say that there are no humorous moments, no light hearted experiences, no kumbaya camaraderie. But the teaching of Martial Arts, especially Martial Arts that deal with fighting (I consider the word "fighting" to mean self defense) is as serious as a heart attack.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
DD can you say if things become difficult in life have you found is your training put to the bottom or brought to the fore? thank you x

I think it helps in life, just in general.
Just as one example, you learn to persevere. You learn that if you just keep going, you CAN.
And then when life punches you in the junk, you just keep going.
You've done that yourself, in situations at least somewhat similar to mine. Don't you think your ability to just keep plugging along comes, at least in part, from your training?

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe the people who thought you were a cool kid would have been too timid to tell you :) Can I ask if it would be possible to say what -if anything- changed about you since you started TKD at 43? thank you

@Jenna OK, the cool kid thing was a joke. I started training with my son to get him out of the house. As I started to train it brought back memories from my Judo days as a teen and how much I used to enjoy MA.

As for changes: I'm a slight bit more flexible now (could probably kick a toddler in the head if I was ever seriously threatened by one), in sparring I figured out that I can be competitive in sports (a new one for me, I never really cared in other sports), and I think I am a bit more confident in social interactions than I used to be. As to a possible explanation for the latter two: MA is more visceral to me than a lot of other sports. You're going up against another person and you try to hit each other in the head, a bit different from golf or tennis. Makes social situations seem a bit more trivial???

As for what I would like to change: I would really like to figure out where this MA journey of mine is headed in the future. As I get more experience I see the holes that the current training doesn't fill. So how to fill them, other school, other arts, or do I really need them filled?

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Why do you turn up time after time? what are you striving to achieve and for what reason?? when it come to the time you are about to die.. what will have been the purpose of all of this time you have spent training learning studying your martial arts? thank you for responding xo

Hi Jenna, for me, it's to relax, stretch, and get a decent workout. More of achieving a zen state than anything else. Before I started Aikido, I had already done a number of different martial arts as well as competing in intramural boxing in the Navy. I already knew how to fight.

Aikido appealed to me because of the nature of blending, relaxation, and harmony. I have an underlying diagnosis of anklyosing spondylitis, and so flexibility is real important to me. I've probably gained about 40% flexibility from Aikido, and enjoy the workouts. I've lost weight, increased stamina, and enjoy the people who train Aikido, most with a very similar mindset.

I also do yoga on my days off from Aikido just to keep moving, and Iaido at times to just practice and improve my focus/concentration.

At 46, I could care less about fighting. I don't watch UFC or MMA with any regularity (maybe once in a blue moon if nothing else is on), and couldn't even tell you which UFC fighters were good or not.

I care far, far more about RELAXATION, stress reduction and release, flexibility, and achieving a more zen like state.

YMMV.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can ask anything, Jenna. Any time.

The fascination is still there. I think it is for everyone who still trains, it's just no longer the sole motivating factor.

I don't take myself seriously, I don't take a lot of things seriously that perhaps I should. But that only affects me. Teaching affects other people, a lot. I take teaching seriously. That's not to say that there are no humorous moments, no light hearted experiences, no kumbaya camaraderie. But the teaching of Martial Arts, especially Martial Arts that deal with fighting (I consider the word "fighting" to mean self defense) is as serious as a heart attack.
I have carte blanche for questions?? yay!!! :D There is a question under the words I do not think I am able to dig to reach.. like you wrote about the responsibility of teaching to fight it is grave even you wrote heart attack.. and but what I want to ask what has all of the years of satisfying the MA fascination, and of teaching what has it taught you? Not what have you LEARNED and why do you learn and but what did it TEACH to you and why did it teach to you? I do not know that make any sense outside of my head.. hmm.. like the difference between the two?? Like what was its purpose I am not good at clarifying my thoughts until some insightful person hit on the head bang! Ah I am going to make you to rescind your carte blanche.. this is what is occupy my mind because I am evaluating at this time what I have done and why.. and I like your thoughts because you have done more and you understand more..

and if you are giving me like a carte blanche for questions then why why why in my whole entire life can I not find recipe and make a really proper cannoli is like some type of a secret only known to Obi Wan Cannoli Jedi pffft.. yes.. so that is my other question :) and but it is not as important.. is important! just not AS important so only if you happen to know! :) xo

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think it helps in life, just in general.
Just as one example, you learn to persevere. You learn that if you just keep going, you CAN.
And then when life punches you in the junk, you just keep going.
You've done that yourself, in situations at least somewhat similar to mine. Don't you think your ability to just keep plugging along comes, at least in part, from your training?
Ah.. what you have said here.. thank you.. you had a way to phrase simply what could hide a bigger meaning and understanding.. What you have written you know today I have read this repeatedly from this morning until it in my head and now I am going to keep it there.. I am grateful is all

Has been a question of mine for forever like how much was training to defend ever about dealing with a threat that was out there.. and but you have answered a question I ask even in thread here from looooong time ago I had asked how to respond in face of the bigger and badder.. and but what you have written.. I read it as the overcoming can be in the enduring.. have thought about nothing else all day.. thank you xo

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@Jenna OK, the cool kid thing was a joke. I started training with my son to get him out of the house. As I started to train it brought back memories from my Judo days as a teen and how much I used to enjoy MA.

As for changes: I'm a slight bit more flexible now (could probably kick a toddler in the head if I was ever seriously threatened by one), in sparring I figured out that I can be competitive in sports (a new one for me, I never really cared in other sports), and I think I am a bit more confident in social interactions than I used to be. As to a possible explanation for the latter two: MA is more visceral to me than a lot of other sports. You're going up against another person and you try to hit each other in the head, a bit different from golf or tennis. Makes social situations seem a bit more trivial???

As for what I would like to change: I would really like to figure out where this MA journey of mine is headed in the future. As I get more experience I see the holes that the current training doesn't fill. So how to fill them, other school, other arts, or do I really need them filled?
Yes cool kids.. nanna used to say never a truer word said in jest :) and but see that is cool you started training with your son.. you still do?

Is awesome you gain more social confidence through training.. yes I understand social situation seem more trivial after fights.. that make lot of sense absolutely.. for me is some time easier to handle fight than normal life.. in fight I know what I am doing.. normal life hmm.. I am sposd to do stuff I do not want in ways I would question.. I would rather fight than be a dinner guest haha.. though some time is possible to merge the two #dinnerfight

Is the nature of a hole to be a hole or to be filled? It is said nature abhor a void?? How will you make a decision on what to do about that?

thank you for taking time to reply.. I am interested in those things you wrote..

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi Jenna, for me, it's to relax, stretch, and get a decent workout. More of achieving a zen state than anything else. Before I started Aikido, I had already done a number of different martial arts as well as competing in intramural boxing in the Navy. I already knew how to fight.

Aikido appealed to me because of the nature of blending, relaxation, and harmony. I have an underlying diagnosis of anklyosing spondylitis, and so flexibility is real important to me. I've probably gained about 40% flexibility from Aikido, and enjoy the workouts. I've lost weight, increased stamina, and enjoy the people who train Aikido, most with a very similar mindset.

I also do yoga on my days off from Aikido just to keep moving, and Iaido at times to just practice and improve my focus/concentration.

At 46, I could care less about fighting. I don't watch UFC or MMA with any regularity (maybe once in a blue moon if nothing else is on), and couldn't even tell you which UFC fighters were good or not.

I care far, far more about RELAXATION, stress reduction and release, flexibility, and achieving a more zen like state.

YMMV.
Hello SD thank you for reply! Oh hey you are sailor? ooh.. yes you know how to handle your self already then.. wow Navy sound exciting.. I would have like that too.. Anklyosing spondylitis I have to look it up.. goodness that sound like quite a thing to have to cope with.. and Aikido is actual physical benefit to that condition too? and not exacerbating specially when you are uke no?? Is wonderful that it work in positive way!

I can ask you a question please? it seem odd then you just disregard.. and but you ever anthropomorphise this anklyosing spondylitis condition? (you know I have cut and paste that so I do not spell it wrong!) also you would refer to it as your condition?? or?? hope that not too personal :) xo

also (sorry.. questions!) what is zen like state you have mentioned few times there.. what do that look like to you?? Thank you and hope not too many questions! :)

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes cool kids.. nanna used to say never a truer word said in jest :) and but see that is cool you started training with your son.. you still do?

Is awesome you gain more social confidence through training.. yes I understand social situation seem more trivial after fights.. that make lot of sense absolutely.. for me is some time easier to handle fight than normal life.. in fight I know what I am doing.. normal life hmm.. I am sposd to do stuff I do not want in ways I would question.. I would rather fight than be a dinner guest haha.. though some time is possible to merge the two #dinnerfight

Is the nature of a hole to be a hole or to be filled? It is said nature abhor a void?? How will you make a decision on what to do about that?

thank you for taking time to reply.. I am interested in those things you wrote..

@Jenna, no my son quit after 3 years of training. Not surprising as he started at 4 1/2. I never thought he would last as long as he did.

As to the horror vacui: I am now free (schedule allowing, which has been an issue latetly) to go to the classes later in the evening which are teen/adult. So we'll see whether the training there will make a difference. Other avenues: trying out some other arts, some things might look good on video but might not be for me. One of those is BJJ. If I like it, I'll see if I can get the boy interested. Maybe he'll like the wrasslin'. Another one is a Moo Duk Kwon TKD school...different from the Kukki TKD I'm now doing but the schedule is an issue. So the short answer is, some ideas but not a real strategy.

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I practice martial arts for self-defense, fitness and longevity. That's about it, at least for the physical training. But I guess the biggest reason for me personally is self-discipline and trying to master my own thoughts or emotions. I had issues with my ego, pride and anger as a kid so training in martial arts over the years has helped me to control my ego.

Last edited:
OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I practice martial arts for self-defense, fitness and longevity. That's about it, at least for the physical training. But I guess the biggest reason for me personally is self-discipline and trying to master my own thoughts or emotions. I had issues with my ego, pride and anger as a kid so training in martial arts over the years has helped me to control my ego.
Thank you, can you say what is it about your training in some thing physical that help to master thoughts and emotions that are non-physical?? How does that work for you? and could you have done this as easily by going to the gym or like swimming or doing some other physical activity besides your MA? :)

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
To answer your questions in reverse, I actually view swimming and going to the gym as a part of martial arts training. But physically I feel it's a way to channel all those angry thoughts and frustrations, acquire humility, and lose one's self of pride and prejudice.

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Why do you turn up time after time? what are you striving to achieve and for what reason?? when it come to the time you are about to die.. what will have been the purpose of all of this time you have spent training learning studying your martial arts? thank you for responding xo

There have been a lot of good points so far. For me, it has changed over the years.

I train because I have been doing it for so long, I don't think I would be able to put it down, even if I wanted to. I also train because I love what my community stands for in their values and philosophies. I train because I enjoy the discovery of finding more efficient ways to do what I do (cutting the fat). I train because I love my community and the passion they have for the art. And I train because I love what it does for me physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. It is not what I do. It is what I am. Mastering the art is in a way mastering myself and if I can be a positive influence on those who I train and train with, then it was worth it's weight in gold.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
further to my earlier answer. I train in general so that I'm equiped for a zombie apocalypse, what atributes would I need to survive and maybe prosper in such an environment. Then I set out to develop them. Not you understand I'm expecting a zombie apocalypse, it just that if I'm prepared for a situation that involves the complete break down of law and order and the un dead trying to eat me whilst the living try to steal my food, then I can probably deal with most unexpected situations that arise. And let's face it I'm am going to look pretty silly when being chased by flesh eating monsters if I neglect my cardio now

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It makes me a better person.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To answer your questions in reverse, I actually view swimming and going to the gym as a part of martial arts training. But physically I feel it's a way to channel all those angry thoughts and frustrations, acquire humility, and lose one's self of pride and prejudice.
Pride and Prejudice like Jane Austen, I am sure like me you are big fan of Mr Darcy haha j/k :) When you say humility.. you mean accepting that you get beat by people? Thank you

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There have been a lot of good points so far. For me, it has changed over the years.

I train because I have been doing it for so long, I don't think I would be able to put it down, even if I wanted to. I also train because I love what my community stands for in their values and philosophies. I train because I enjoy the discovery of finding more efficient ways to do what I do (cutting the fat). I train because I love my community and the passion they have for the art. And I train because I love what it does for me physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. It is not what I do. It is what I am. Mastering the art is in a way mastering myself and if I can be a positive influence on those who I train and train with, then it was worth it's weight in gold.
Thank you.. can you say please what it mean that your art do for you spiritually? How does that work for you? In your community it is linked with a religion or it is a personal thing? If so can you elaborate on what that might mean? Thank you

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
further to my earlier answer. I train in general so that I'm equiped for a zombie apocalypse, what atributes would I need to survive and maybe prosper in such an environment. Then I set out to develop them. Not you understand I'm expecting a zombie apocalypse, it just that if I'm prepared for a situation that involves the complete break down of law and order and the un dead trying to eat me whilst the living try to steal my food, then I can probably deal with most unexpected situations that arise. And let's face it I'm am going to look pretty silly when being chased by flesh eating monsters if I neglect my cardio now
What is the point of surviving a zombie apocalypse? everybody be dead??

Latest Discussions