What is the 'MOST' well rounded system?

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Okay, I know this is a loaded question so I'll try to explain it a little further. In your opinion (based on experience or hearsay) which single MA style/system, either so called 'traditional' or modified can be considered one that covers all the bases?

None of them. If one did, there'd be no need for the others. Go. Absorb. Create. Grow. Eat Pizza.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
1.) The instructor and his skill / experience / teaching methods
2. The student and his athleticism / dedication
3. The quality of the style and how well it suits the individual's strengths and abilities.

I have had the best luck in terms of learning efficient, quality material from; Western Boxing / FMA's (namely Kali) and AKKI Kenpo, which is where I choose to study now.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't rule out Filipino styles. Many folks associate FMA schools with stick and knife, but many styles have empty hand and clinch work as well as dumog (combat groundfighting)

Good luck :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think there are several to many systems that attempt to include "it all." Many address "it all" in some fashion; after all, combat systems adapt to the needs of combat or they die out. But, just because a system may contain elements that address stand up fighting, ground fighting, weapons, etc., doesn't mean that any single practitioner will be skilled in all of it. I can do some grappling; I can do some throws; I can use sticks and swords and guns and more... But, my "bread and butter" is striking and some stand up grappling or holds. That's where I've spent most of my effort in training.

In the end, the old adage is the truth. It's not the system, it's the practitioner.

But, you also have to decide what your goals are. Are you looking at competition -- or law enforcement defensive tactics? Or self defense? Or mental and spiritual development? While many systems can answer multiple yesses to these questions, that doesn't mean that they'll address them all equally well. Or that they're interchangeable.

jonbey

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Really you need to consider what you want to learn. Don't rule out training in more than one style at a time. So learning kung-fu and BJJ, or boxing and escrima, or wrestling and karate.

Some styles are well rounded, but then how long do you have to train to learn it all? The style I learn as many weapons, grappling, floor work, kicking, a plethora of strikes, chi gung, etc. but it will be years before I have learned it all, and even longer before I am well trained in each part.

So really, decide what you want to learn, and concentrate on that, even if it means joining two or three clubs. That way you control what you learn, and when you learn it, rather than waiting for the syllabus to come around to you.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, I know this is a loaded question so I'll try to explain it a little further. In your opinion (based on experience or hearsay) which single MA style/system, either so called 'traditional' or modified can be considered one that covers all the bases? I'm interested because I enjoy stand-up hard and soft techniques, grappling, throws and locks, weapons, and asian and 'modern' philosophy and reason behind the movements.

Also, I now live in Flagstaff, AZ and have not yet heard about or found something that covers most or all of the bases mentioned. I'm currently in TKD (MWS nights) with a little Hopkido thrown in too depending on the instructor that night. Way cool but the lesson ends once the person is on the ground with the exception of the so called 'finishing' strike/break. I also just found the only Judo club in the area and completed my second class last night (TTh nights). Between the two schools/clubs, I'm covering most of the bases I'm interested in but still some are left out. In addition, as a family man I can not dedicate most of my nights each week to MA away from the home.

Some may recall I've mention Hwa Rang Do in earlier posts. I'm biased with this system because it's one I spent most of my previous training in. It did/does cover all the bases I mentioned. Unfortunately, there isn't any instructors in my area now (they moved away years ago).

Ken/mpo 'sounds' like it may cover everything I mentioned but I'm not sure.

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

~G

Many systems contain a number of aspects, such as punching, kicking, weapons and ground work. Carol mentioned the FMAs which are excellent when it comes to weapons work and their empty hand defense is pretty devastating as well. It really comes down to what you're looking to get out of the training. As I said, many arts containt the things I mentioned above, but if someone wants to further expand on a certain area, crosstraining will be necessary.

Mike

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When a mind is free of thought and emotion but still very focused any system can be applied to fit most situations.
:ultracool

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, I know this is a loaded question so I'll try to explain it a little further. In your opinion (based on experience or hearsay) which single MA style/system, either so called 'traditional' or modified can be considered one that covers all the bases? I'm interested because I enjoy stand-up hard and soft techniques, grappling, throws and locks, weapons, and asian and 'modern' philosophy and reason behind the movements.

Also, I now live in Flagstaff, AZ and have not yet heard about or found something that covers most or all of the bases mentioned. I'm currently in TKD (MWS nights) with a little Hopkido thrown in too depending on the instructor that night. Way cool but the lesson ends once the person is on the ground with the exception of the so called 'finishing' strike/break. I also just found the only Judo club in the area and completed my second class last night (TTh nights). Between the two schools/clubs, I'm covering most of the bases I'm interested in but still some are left out. In addition, as a family man I can not dedicate most of my nights each week to MA away from the home.

Some may recall I've mention Hwa Rang Do in earlier posts. I'm biased with this system because it's one I spent most of my previous training in. It did/does cover all the bases I mentioned. Unfortunately, there isn't any instructors in my area now (they moved away years ago).

Ken/mpo 'sounds' like it may cover everything I mentioned but I'm not sure.

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

~G

there's not one. next question. :)

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my experience, Martial Arts aren't the best place to look to for sound Philosophy. JMO.

Funny. Many consider the presence of a philosophical or ethical component the dividing line between a Martial Art and other combat sports.

Now, you're absolutely right that many schools underemphasize the philosophical component, and that combat sports rarely have them at all.

But I think you'll find most martial arts and martial artists look to their training experience for much of their ethics and philosophy.

Independent_TKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It really depends on your overall goal. Here is straight advice that I would recommend.

Avoidance: Learn to avoid dangerous situations all together.

Hands: Boxing and/or Muay Thai to learn upperbody striking skills

Legs: Taekwondo and/or Muay Thai to learn proper lower body striking

Grappling: Judo, Wrestling, and/or Muay Thai to learn standup grappling

Ground: Judo, Wrestling, and/or Jiujitsu to learn ground defense

Weapons: LEO and/or Military Combative to learn weapon defense

From my experience, this has been the most well rounded approach to to physical martial arts with the goal of defeating a possible.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never found anything to complain about when I did Lau Gar Kung Fu.

I do believe wholeheartedly that the best style for anyone is the one that they find 'fits' them best....most arts contain everything that you're ever likely to need - they just train them with varying degrees of emphasis and in different orders.

bushidomartialarts said:
If you think your current dojo isn't 'home', go visit everybody, regardless of style, until you find your home. It's out there somewhere.

Yeah, would say it better if I could, but....:D Suke and bushido have covered it.

Oh, and:
Seabrook said:
...like Kenpo, there is also some brutal Kung Fu out there. Same goes with Jiu Jitsu

As well as:
Carol Kaur said:
Don't rule out Filipino styles. Many folks associate FMA schools with stick and knife, but many styles have empty hand and clinch work as well as dumog (combat groundfighting)

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Well, that's a great start... better to "round out" yr own experience than find a single "well rounded" style IMHO. Where would be the thrill of seeking new knowledge if you knew you could get everything you needed from the one source?

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would day go to your local MMA gym and give that a go.

amishman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Kuk Sool Won has caught my attention lately. Since you come from a TKD background, maybe Kuk Sool would be an option. Appears to be a very well rounded martial art.

tj

OP
G

geocad

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would day go to your local MMA gym and give that a go.
I live in Flagstaff, AZ. I cannot even find a boxing gym let alone an MMA gym. The boxing gyms listed online for this town are no longer open. I was hoping to hear about some of the more 'popular' (in name) styles. Maybe something popular is in this small college town.

Some other poster mentioned continuing with multiple dojangs/dojos but unfortunately, my available time is getting more and more limited. I'm hearing good things about Kempo. Any thoughts on the diversity of Kempo?

ancient warrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
it really matters what u want if u want traditional true martial art training that takes years to become 1 with? because this is a slow process 2-3or4 days a week i tell my students to live the martial way !! have purpose everyday be at the top of your game >>>>>>>the only martial art for me now is hwa rang do i have trained in other arts before coming back to hwa rang do it has everything 1 would need for combat but is traditional so it takes awhile

Latest Discussions