What is the 'MOST' well rounded system?

geocad

Green Belt
Reaction score
Okay, I know this is a loaded question so I'll try to explain it a little further. In your opinion (based on experience or hearsay) which single MA style/system, either so called 'traditional' or modified can be considered one that covers all the bases? I'm interested because I enjoy stand-up hard and soft techniques, grappling, throws and locks, weapons, and asian and 'modern' philosophy and reason behind the movements.

Also, I now live in Flagstaff, AZ and have not yet heard about or found something that covers most or all of the bases mentioned. I'm currently in TKD (MWS nights) with a little Hopkido thrown in too depending on the instructor that night. Way cool but the lesson ends once the person is on the ground with the exception of the so called 'finishing' strike/break. I also just found the only Judo club in the area and completed my second class last night (TTh nights). Between the two schools/clubs, I'm covering most of the bases I'm interested in but still some are left out. In addition, as a family man I can not dedicate most of my nights each week to MA away from the home.

Some may recall I've mention Hwa Rang Do in earlier posts. I'm biased with this system because it's one I spent most of my previous training in. It did/does cover all the bases I mentioned. Unfortunately, there isn't any instructors in my area now (they moved away years ago).

Ken/mpo 'sounds' like it may cover everything I mentioned but I'm not sure.

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

~G

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I never found anything to complain about when I did Lau Gar Kung Fu.

I do believe wholeheartedly that the best style for anyone is the one that they find 'fits' them best.

I know that at the moment, with MMA being much vaunted and in the forefront of everyones mind, it's considered an old fashioned attitude but most arts contain everything that you're ever likely to need - they just train them with varying degrees of emphasis and in different orders.

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wado-ryu karate is a combination of jujutsu and shotokan karate.
Kajukenbo is an eclectic blend of karate, jujutsu,kenpo, and Chinese boxing.
Jeff Speakman's Kenpo 5.0 is American Kenpo altered to have some ground skills within it.

There are plenty of systems out there that attempt to have it all. Personally I study karate and aikido at the same time. Works for me. I have no ambitions to fight in the UFC, but I feel both disciplines actually blend well together and there's a true duality present where as I get better at one, it improves the other too.

I don't even think it's necessary to have a formal system in order to be well-rounded. There is a local "fight club" that I practice with pretty regularly. It's a combination of boxers, wrestlers, classical martial arts, etc that get together to spar twice a month. It's eye-opening to say the least. I pick up tips all the time from the nontraditional guys and vice versa.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You'll need to find a good isntructor more than a good system for this. Consider people who teach a pair of complementary arts such as Jeet Kune Do and Brazilian jiu-jitsu, Muay Thai and Sambo, or a Mixed Martial Arts gym.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do believe wholeheartedly that the best style for anyone is the one that they find 'fits' them best.

Ditto. If you don't like it, you won't train it - no matter how "well-rounded" it appears to be.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I read the thread title about "most well rounded" art I immediately thought of Sumo...they all look pretty round to me.:ultracool

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Absolutely agree that the best system is the one that fits best. Let's take it a step further.

Your system of choice is largely irrelevant. There are many paths to the mountain, but only one mountain. What's far more important is your relationship with your instructor, the quality of that instructor and the culture of your dojo.

If you think your current dojo isn't 'home', go visit everybody, regardless of style, until you find your home. It's out there somewhere.

If I remember right, there's an AKKA kenpo school in Flagstaff. The AKKA organiztation was a good home for me for many years. You may want to check them out, but only stay if they seem like a good home for you.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm interested because I enjoy stand-up hard and soft techniques, grappling, throws and locks, weapons, and asian and 'modern' philosophy and reason behind the movements.

To add a caveat to some of the posts above, I just wanted to note that most (but certainly not all) of the American and MMA will be lacking in the eastern philosophy department.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Western Boxing is the most complete. It is even with Wing Chun, Tai Chi, Vovinam, Judo, Aikido, Shotokan, Cuong Nhu, Neko Ryu Goshin Jitsu, Eagle Claw, Wado Ryu, Kyokoshin-Kai, Arnis, Escrima, Kali, Espada Y Daga, Red Tiger, Black Tiger, White Tiger, Leopard, Red Dragon, Black Dragon, Monkey, Drunken Boxing, Serpant Boxing, Sumo, Tae Kwon Do, Capoirea, Hapkido, Hwa Rang Do, Kenpo/Kempo, Lau Gar, Hung Gar, Kendo, Iaido, Shikendo, Kajukempo, Freestyle wrestling, Greaco-Roman Wrestling, WWE Wrestling, Sambo, Sanda, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Bokator Khmer, Jeet Kune Do, Brazillian Ju Jitsu.... OK, I ran out of styles I can think of. You get my point though

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Your system of choice is largely irrelevant. There are many paths to the mountain, but only one mountain. What's far more important is your relationship with your instructor, the quality of that instructor and the culture of your dojo.

If you think your current dojo isn't 'home', go visit everybody, regardless of style, until you find your home. It's out there somewhere.

That's a very good point and one very well expressed too, Bushido :rei:.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
To add a caveat to some of the posts above, I just wanted to note that most (but certainly not all) of the American and MMA will be lacking in the eastern philosophy department.

In my experience, Martial Arts aren't the best place to look to for sound Philosophy. JMO.

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In my experience, Martial Arts aren't the best place to look to for sound Philosophy. JMO.

I kind of agree. A lot of martial arts were borne out of the need to survive and later incorporated/looked to religion/philosophy. Doesn't mean you won't find it there, but you have to look deeply, and probably go beyond the dojo to learn more.

I don't know of many martial arts that created a philosophy. Most that have one are based on something external to the art, or something that already existed.

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Start visiting your local training halls. If you have a friend that studies MA can him/her along to help evaluate the dojos.

Spend some time with the instructor. If you like what you see sign up for a free class.

Keep looking even if you think you already found a home to make sure that is where you want to study. Take your time to find your dojo home.

Research potential instructors on the Net.

Good luck on your journey.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score

Find a Cuong Nhu school. O'Sensei founded the art as a supplement for the spiritual needs of the South Vietnamese people during their Civil War.

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, I know this is a loaded question so I'll try to explain it a little further. In your opinion (based on experience or hearsay) which single MA style/system, either so called 'traditional' or modified can be considered one that covers all the bases? I'm interested because I enjoy stand-up hard and soft techniques, grappling, throws and locks, weapons, and asian and 'modern' philosophy and reason behind the movements.

It is so dependent on the knowledge base of the teacher. As an American Kenpo instructor, my naturally tendency is give you the art that I study but there are loads of junky Kenpo out there too. My former Kung Fu instructor also has the full package in terms of knowledge base (full-contact fighting in a ring, groundfighting, kickboxing, forms, weapons, drills, ect) but like Kenpo, there is also some brutal Kung Fu out there. Same goes with Jiu Jitsu.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
geocad this is a loaded question, I really do not believe in one style but in one fighter, the fighter really makes up the style and it will always be that. Or at least in my book it is.

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
geocad this is a loaded question, I really do not believe in one style but in one fighter, the fighter really makes up the style and it will always be that. Or at least in my book it is.

+1

I could put everything geocad is looking for on paper, but that wouldn't make the system if I couldn't pull off all the moves. If you have a teacher that can give you what you're looking for then that's the system for you.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So from what I've found most things from the kajukenbo line are incredibly well-rounded.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I kind of agree. A lot of martial arts were borne out of the need to survive and later incorporated/looked to religion/philosophy. Doesn't mean you won't find it there, but you have to look deeply, and probably go beyond the dojo to learn more.

I don't know of many martial arts that created a philosophy. Most that have one are based on something external to the art, or something that already existed.

Well, the Shaolin immediately come to mind...

Latest Discussions