What is the first thing you teach/were taught?

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We are set up so that a student coming into class for the first time will spend the lesson reviewing what they learned in their last initial lesson. It helps them remember what they just learned and allows them to get comfortable in the setting. If that gets covered quickly enough, they get taught the first technique in the system.

As for a brand new perspective student just starting his first introductory lesson, the very first thing they're taught is how to bow onto the mat. The first SD thing they are taught is the inward block.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are many things taught to beginner students. Bowing, respect, gi and belt tying, stances, a basic kick or punch. I would imagine that almost all arts have to start you with some or most of those.
I'll agree with that.
The next 2 things I teach them are:
1 The instructor is always correct
2 Refer to number 1

after that I usualy teach them the simplest self defence techniques because they work

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The first non-technique items we work on are emphasizing bowing when entering and leaving the practice area and proper address to black belts and Instructors.
The first physical techniques we learn are horseback stance, front kickups, and the first half of marching basics. Nothing fancy.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
8 Basic Stances (done together=8 Basic Foot Movements).

Many reasons: Helps evade attack; puts body behind strikes; illustrates the many ways and directions it's possible to move; builds strength naturally; it's the beginning of our signature form; it's the foundation upon which all else will build.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll agree with that.
The next 2 things I teach them are:
1 The instructor is always correct
2 Refer to number 1

Hmm. With all due respect rule #1 and rule #2 are wrong. They are a perfect setup for cultishness and abuse. That sort of uncritical obedience and unquestioning acceptance of arbitrary authority is the single biggest cause of the horror stories forum here on martialtalk. Your two rules are appropriate for children and teenagers or recruits in the military. Even then "I am going to touch you on a part of the body normally covered by the underwear," or "That guy sitting there drinking his beer needs a fight. Give him one," call for anything from obscenity, physical violence towards the perpetrator to a quick call to the police depending on circumstances. There shouldn't even be a moment's hesitation just because the scumbag is your martial arts teacher. Obedience always has limits. When those being directed are competent adults not under military discipline those limits are pretty damned sharp.

Guru Plinck is an incredible teacher with a depth of knowledge I will never attain but can see the outline of on a good day. My respect and admiration for him as a fighter, a teacher and a damned fine human being increase every day. He's also human and is as fallible as the next guy. I'll accept most of what he says because experience shows that when it comes to martial arts and a few other things he knows what he's talking about. And he has my personal loyalty. But not past the point of reason. I hold him in such high regard partly because he is wise enough not to put himself on a pedestal and demand anything like that.

If any teacher - and that includes my Rabbi and Shaykh - ever said "I'm always right and never forget it" or even "Always do what I say, no matter what" I would immediately turn around and walk away without another word. That is the mildest proper response for anyone who tries to pull that kind of mind-controlling garbage.

She dropped her glove, to prove his love, then looked at him and smiled;
He bowed, and in a moment leaped among the lions wild:
The leap was quick, return was quick, he has regained his place,
Then threw the glove, but not with love, right in the lady's face.
"By Heaven," said Francis, "rightly done!" and he rose from where he sat;
"No love," quoth he, "but vanity, sets love a task like that."

... from James Leigh Hunt's The Glove and the Lions

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you are an instructor, when new students join your class, what is the first thing you teach? Why that, and not something else?

With new people, initially I spend a little bit going over moving from the hips. Most new people I have seen spend alot of time shifting their weight from one foot to another to move the opposite foot. I show them how to fall into the step. This reduces the time it takes to move from point A to point B. Then we will move into the Kihon Happo and then it just flows from one thing to another after that as much as they can handle. Moving properly and the Kihon Happo is the foundation of the Bujinkan.

If you are not an instructor, what was the first thing you were taught? Do you think that was a good choice, or would learning something different have worked better for you?

I think the very first thing I did was crash into the floor when the instructor wanted us to roll. LOL I would have done it differently. I would have the new person pulled aside and be shown rolling from baby steps. Which is what he did 2nd. ;)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tellner
I agree with your statements may be i should have remembered to put up that smily face

Juggernaut

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Cognitively the first thing I teach is Respect for themselves, and for life in general.

Tactically the first thing I teach is foot work.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I teach a traditional Chinese MA the first thing I teach is the eight fundamental stances that we use. These are the foundation upon which the forms are built.

sholo86

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The first thing taught to me was how to show respect the school (flag), instructor, then other students by bowing to them in that order as soon as I enter the room.