What is the first thing you teach/were taught?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you are an instructor, when new students join your class, what is the first thing you teach? Why that, and not something else?

If you are not an instructor, what was the first thing you were taught? Do you think that was a good choice, or would learning something different have worked better for you?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you are new Code of conduct followed by the respect factor.

Firdt thing I was tought was do as your instructor tells you and then Respect.

loyalonehk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
"Best Block - Don't be there". This is most often the first thing a student learns from me. Be alert, aware of your surroundings at all times and remember that the best block you can do is not be there... MOVE!!!

First thing I was taught??? Kung Fu = "How to breath"
Kajukenbo = how to take a punch... :uhyeah:
Escrima = how to hold a stick
Knife = "The Knife represents DEATH"
Firearms = Safety rules and conditions
EOD = "Hold the C4 blasting cap up & away from you when crimping the end..."

Ok that's enough...

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The first thing I try to impart on new students is that I expect them to think about what we're doing, and ask questions. I (and everyone at my school) reinforce the family aspect and everyone helps each other learn. My most senior students spend their time with the most junior.

The first part of physical material we teach is the base fighting stance, the Neutral Bow. It's what we expect everyone to work with during their progress until they've learned enough to apply the core principles in any position they so choose to utilize, as long as the principles remain employed.

The first concept we try to get across is Kenpo Rule 1: Don't get hit. :)

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
In Silat, it's usually the first juru or the salutation. In Thai boxing it was basic punching and basic footwork. When we taught self defense it was some definitions and grounding - "What is self defense?" - followed by elbows. Our students were always adults who either had or didn't have a grown-up's values; basic ethics and manners would have been redundant not to mention insulting.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you are not an instructor, what was the first thing you were taught?

Bow :asian:

As a student, the first thing I was taught was to Bow!

In Judo > Bow :asian:

In Taekwondo > Bow :asian:

In Aikido > Bow :asian:

In Karate > Bow :asian:

If you are an instructor, when new students join your class, what is the first thing you teach? Why that, and not something else?

As an instructor, the first thing I teach is to bow!

:asian: :asian: :asian: :asian: :asian: :asian: :asian: :asian: :asian:​

The bow contains so much of the essence of Martial Art training yet to come for the new student.

1st: Respect. Bow when entering the dojang. Respect the training hall as a place of learning. Bow when entering the training floor. Remember why you are there. Bow to the flags. Honor the history and tradition from where the knowledge comes, and show respect for those who shed their blood to defend freedom and justice. Bow to your teacher. Respect who they are, what they had to do to attain their knowledge and skill long before you even entered the dojang (long before many students were even born). Establish a teacher student relationship. The teacher teaches; the student learns. Understand that everything you need for your future training will come through this individual. Trust that fact, and everything will fall in place - - fail to have this trust, and you should find a different teacher.

2nd: Courtesy: Bow when you work with a partner. Show signs of mutual respect, trust, and cooperation that you may help one another. Bow when you complete an exercise, form, partner drill, or a class. Express thanks to those who helped you, taught you, and shared the experience with you. Bow to your seniors for without their leadership, guidance, and example to follow, your path would be much more difficult. They have blazed the trail for you to learn, and make fewer mistakes which bog down the process.

3rd: Humility and Introspection: A hammer pounds many times, over and over, to forge out a great tool or weapon. The bow, repeated many times, will help to forge a humble student. Glance at the floor, and watch your arrogance fall from your mind to the ground. Meditation is a method of introspection where the student should look inward, and seek spiritual enlightenment, and self improvement. A bow is the most brief slice of meditation - - a quick reminder of the path you are on, and the fact that others have walked it before you. Honor their memory by being humble in all your interactions with others.

CM D.J. Eisenhart :asian:

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Etiquette, what we expect and what is expected of student, and that we are there to help and support so don't be afraid to ask questions.
For techniques, usually basic blocks and strikes and simple self defense.

We start here because I think the student should know the expectations and what to expect up front and start with the basics.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I start with respect and focus. I was first taught rolls and falls then blocking, striking, and kicking. Without the respect and focus you don't have anything else.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In the three arts I was/am in, they all taught etiquette first, then rules of the dojang. Then it moved on to basic stances, basic punching, and basic kicks, except in Jujitsu. We went over breakfalls first.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first things I generally teach are how to bow, which ends up including how to make a fist, then one stance (our equivalent to horse stance), and then how to throw the first punch & first block.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are not an instructor, what was the first thing you were taught? Do you think that was a good choice, or would learning something different have worked better for you?

The first thing I was ever taught was range. But not in the conventional sense. We practiced with a partner, each standing about 15-20 feet from each other. One would walk towards the other, and the other would comment on when they started to feel threatened, and then when they would start to react. The rule of thumb in that school, and I think it's a good one, is that once they move into striking range, strike. Why give them the chance to move in closer?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was taught how to put my uniform on, how to tie my belt and how to wear it, taught some basics about how class was run and class ettiquette.

The first Kenpo that I was taught was star block set (a series of 5 blocks) and a few basic stances.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The senior students usually explain how to put on the uniform, tie the obi, and basic courtesy. When it comes to physical technique, the first thing I teach is a side fall, then how to tap. It takes awhile for some people to get comfortable with falling and both falling and tapping are necessary to keep students safe.

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was taught uh - I think I've written it down somewhere. *runs upstairs to fetch diary*

The first lesson, my teacher doesn't pay much attention to a new student because he wants to see how much you can understand by yourself etc, so I didn't really learn the basic basic things at first.

I learnt the 'normal' kick and the horse kick (I am sure that there are nice Indonesian names for them, but I still only know the Dutch names) and how to elbow someone properly. All three techniques were combined into a pattern (how do you call that? a sequence?) and I recall having EXTREME muscle ache the next day, but I don't know anymore what pattern it was.

To think of it, I only learnt our saluation (hormat) two months ago or something while I started around 24-04-06. I think it was maybe because I was the only person who began training Pencak at that time. I just joined in and sometimes they took the time to specifically teach me something I really couldn't figure out (musing, jurus 1-3) but I can't say that the first things I was taught were the 'beginner' things.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I'd go over the basic rules of the school. IE: What to do when you enter/leave a class, what to do if you come in late, how to tie the belt, line up, etc. By doing this, they'll have a basic understanding of what to do when they start coming to class on a regular basis. The things I mention are usually done in the intro. lesson.

After that, I'd move on to a few basic punches, kicks and blocks. Again, this will give them a basic idea of what to do in the class.

Mike

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The first thing I was taught (Jujitsu - way back in the stone age) was how to do a shoulder roll. Likely because you get thrown a lot in Jujitsu.

When I taught it was Taiji and the first thing I taught was how to step because it is fundamental to the form.

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are many things taught to beginner students. Bowing, respect, gi and belt tying, stances, a basic kick or punch. I would imagine that almost all arts have to start you with some or most of those. I think that the first techniques are where the arts will differ the most.

I remember my first two techniques were defenses against wrist grabs. They were so simple and basic that I remember mentally kicking myself for not having the ability to have come up with them on my own.

As a teacher, I usually start new students off with techniques against grabs. I figure that they are only just learning how to block so that skill isn't perfected yet, but a technique against a grab is easier because you aren't dealing with a moving weapon. So I start them off with one or two wrist grabs (usually the same two I was taught), a gi grab, and a front strangle. As the students advance they will have the ability to knock any grab attempt out of the way but as a white belt, the attacker will more than likely be able to grab them because the blocks haven't become instinctual yet.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
First thing I was taught was basic Hamni stence as warm up routine. How to move your feet with your hips and not just a simple stepping.
Looking at it now, I actually didn't see back then the importance of it and threw down wrong movements whcih were meaningless to me back then.
After that always in a warm up situation I was taught the back rolls.

The first thing in the actual class: a technique called "katate dori kotegaeshi" (won't even go into ditails in how I did there lol, a robot would have moved more gracefully).

Latest Discussions