What is the absolute least common denominator for all Taekwondo schools?

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll have you know that I earned my platinum belt the hard way - 50 consecutive rounds of rock-paper-scissors with no rest breaks against a series of tough opponents. For the final round I had to do rock-paper-scissors against two opponents at the same time!
I've only ever wondered this about two individuals.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I like the idea of distilling down what the essence of TKD is across all versions. I think what you have does fit for all versions.
I would add jumping kicks to the list as well.
I would posit that the essence of power in TKD comes from relaxed rotational power, no matter the version. "Equal and Opposite" "Bull whip" "Towel crack" etc. are all cues/descriptions that I've heard from taekwondoin. Regardless of the nuances between versions, I think it is still a characteristic that is very much part of the identity of TKD.
Everything comes from the core. It's one of the four "principles of power" that I learned: balance, focus, reaction force and core. If the core of the body is not involved, your technique will not have the maximum power that can be generated.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Those are kicks, are they not?
Yes. However, a jump kick is taught differently from a standing kick. You have to know how to do the standing kick correctly first. If you don't, you'll get hurt doing the jump.

I personally consider jumping kicks as separate from standing kicks for that reason, but that's just my $0.02 worth.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes. However, a jump kick is taught differently from a standing kick. You have to know how to do the standing kick correctly first. If you don't, you'll get hurt doing the jump.

I personally consider jumping kicks as separate from standing kicks for that reason, but that's just my $0.02 worth.
Spinning hook kick is also separate from basic kicks.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
What is the least common denominator for Taekwondo? By that, I mean, what is the core curriculum that, regardless of TKD organization or lineage, regardless of the school's proclivity towards traditional, modern, sport, self-defense, etc., you expect Taekwondo students to know how to do?

From what I can tell, the commonalities between TKD schools are:
  • Horse stance punches
  • Kicks, including: front, roundhouse/turning, side, axe kick, crescent kick, hook kick, and spinning back and spinning hook kick
  • Kicking footwork and combinations
  • Forms
  • Sparring using kicks to the body
Everything else, including punches, other hand strikes, other targets in sparring, weapons, self-defense, grappling, etc., all of those seem to be bonuses if your class offers them. That's not to say they aren't encompassed by the umbrella of Taekwondo. But that it's not something that all Taekwondo schools have in common.
I think you would have to look at the list in gross. Nearly all styles of martial arts have horse stance, kicks, footwork/combos, forms, and sparring so these are very vanilla terms.
Where I think you could differentiate TKD in in the specific kicks done, form movement style, and sparring ideology, so these could be LCD?

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nearly all styles of martial arts have horse stance, kicks, footwork/combos, forms, and sparring so these are very vanilla terms.
Boxing has none of the things I've mentioned. Neither do BJJ and wrestling. Muay Thai has some of them, but not others.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Boxing has none of the things I've mentioned. Neither do BJJ and wrestling. Muay Thai has some of them, but not others.
Well, now you get into the question of what is or is not a "Martial Art" Boxing is often referred to as "The Sweet Science" This is a question that will likely never have an answer everyone accepts. I submit that some systems might better be called "Martial Sport" Martial Exercise" etc. Part of the difference being that A Martial Art System might include things like Sport, Exercise , Esthetic Components, Philosophy and so on which not not necessarily be true of the "Sport" or "Exercise" system.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Spinning hook kick is also separate from basic kicks.
I like to think of them in layers. You learn to do the basic hook kick with the front leg, then the back leg, then the front while stepping, then the back while stepping. Then you learn reverse and step reverse, then spin and step spin.

THEN you go back and learn how to do them while jumping.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like to think of them in layers. You learn to do the basic hook kick with the front leg, then the back leg, then the front while stepping, then the back while stepping. Then you learn reverse and step reverse, then spin and step spin.

THEN you go back and learn how to do them while jumping.
In my experience, you learn jumping kicks (front, round, side) before the standing hook kick and definitely before spinning hook kick.

That's how it's been at all three schools I've attended.

And it's still a kick. It's just a kick you do while jumping.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
In my experience, you learn jumping kicks (front, round, side) before the standing hook kick and definitely before spinning hook kick.

That's how it's been at all three schools I've attended.

And it's still a kick. It's just a kick you do while jumping.
From my experience, that is quite unusual. Adding the jump to a hook kick is several orders of magnitude in difficulty compared to most other kicks. Hooks kicks are super effective, and there are many varieties, but they take a ton of body mechanics so they are not for everyone.
Of course, lots of schools let the kids run and jump freely so that could be some of the difference.

Latest Discussions