What would a form look like if it taught WT sparring techniques?

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tell us more, where were you stuck?
What was the solution?

So it's a board game. And I had a great idea, but a terrible execution of the idea. Basically, the idea is that you constantly level up your fighter, and then complete challenges by rolling dice. But it was really difficult to try and create because every turn your power increases, so I'd have to balance those challenges accordingly. And if it's not your turn, you have nothing to do.

Realized I could make it where you compete against each other. Now everyone is rolling dice on every turn. And also, because everyone increases in power at the same rate, the difficulty scales automatically. So it will be easier to design and more fun to play.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
So it's a board game. And I had a great idea, but a terrible execution of the idea. Basically, the idea is that you constantly level up your fighter, and then complete challenges by rolling dice. But it was really difficult to try and create because every turn your power increases, so I'd have to balance those challenges accordingly. And if it's not your turn, you have nothing to do.

Realized I could make it where you compete against each other. Now everyone is rolling dice on every turn. And also, because everyone increases in power at the same rate, the difficulty scales automatically. So it will be easier to design and more fun to play.
I would... SO play that... sounds darn epic!

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would... SO play that... sounds darn epic!

Problem is that I did a bit of market research and based on the production costs, the MSRP would be about $125. Which I think will knock it up to the point of being unmarketable.

Still gonna make the game, but not try to sell it. Maybe some Christmas gifts for gamer or Taekwondo family and friends.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Problem is that I did a bit of market research and based on the production costs, the MSRP would be about $125. Which I think will knock it up to the point of being unmarketable.

Still gonna make the game, but not try to sell it. Maybe some Christmas gifts for gamer or Taekwondo family and friends.
Not knowing enough about the research you did for that...if you buy the pieces in bulk it would probably be cheaper. Youd be taking a risk that you could sell it, but maybe do a kickstarter for that? Or a website for people to commit to buying it to determine if you coumd make a profit/break even (depending what you want obviously).

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not knowing enough about the research you did for that...if you buy the pieces in bulk it would probably be cheaper. Youd be taking a risk that you could sell it, but maybe do a kickstarter for that? Or a website for people to commit to buying it to determine if you coumd make a profit/break even (depending what you want obviously).

That is buying them in bulk!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

So.... you're basically playing AD&D with everybody using the Monk class.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Jinx!

I too have a board game idea sitting around unfinished :D.

Mine was a space fleet battle game. The rules are finished but I have to build and play test it and I make toddler macaroni pictures look like master craftsmanship so it's on hold for a while.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
This post is mostly a thought experiment.

Thought that crossed my mind based on a post in the main forum. Taekwondo is "the kicking art" according to many. Honestly, aside from Wushu and other demonstration-based arts, I think Capoeira is the only other art that emphasizes kicks as much as Taekwondo. This becomes more true in WT-sparring, where kicking is about the only way to score points.

And yet the forms, whether Taegeuk or Palgwe, rarely use kicks. While we don't train the "official" Palgwe forms at my school, I've seen them online, as well as the Taegeuks, and it appears they all have the same things in common: 1. front kicks are littered throughout the forms, and 2. there's barely any use of any kick besides a front kick. I added up the kicks in the other thread, and the forms we do at my school up through black belt there's 44 front kicks, a handful of side kicks, a few crescent kicks, and one back kick.

Compare that with Taekwondo sparring, where you will typically use front pushing kick (instead of snap kicks), front-leg side kicks (instead of the rear-leg ones typical in forms), roundhouse kicks, back kicks, crescent kicks, hook kicks, and spinning hook/spinning roundhouse kicks as your staple techniques.

Then there's the footwork. While the Taekwondo forms (especially the palgwes, but also the later Taegeuks, to my knowledge) emphasize the type of one-step footwork you'd see in one-step punch drills, Taekwondo sparring involves a bouncing rhythm, slides, jumps, drags, switches, double kicks, and repeating kicks.

Which leads me to wonder...what would a stylized form designed to teach WT sparring concepts look like? What would be similar to the Palgwe and/or Taegeuk forms? What would be different?

Obviously I would want to use a lot more kicks. Do you bounce, or do you ground the form? What kind of footwork do you include? Do you speed up the pace of the form, or keep it slow and in line with other TKD forms? Or do you simple take some of the ideas in the other forms and add in roundhouse kicks and hook kicks in between motions?

How would you go about making a form designed to teach WT concepts? Or is the idea entirely silly and you'll stick to drills and sparring?

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like your ideas, but please understand I do not look at Taekwondo as a sport. I believe forms if done right develops balance and precision of body movement. I like the idea of new kicking forms, but I think they should be advance forms for black belts.
I watched a school recently that students did not do the basic forms well and all of them were off balance when kicking.
Example: a simple front snap kick: foot in wrong position, planted leg not bent, did not move the hips forward, and leg went to the ground not back in ready position. therefore they lost range, power, and Balance.
I am sorry I got off on a tangent.

Latest Discussions