What is better? Traditional School or Modern School

OP
Polina

Polina

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to go against the grain here, and say go for it. If he's a family friend, and you trust him, that shouldn't be an issue. And there's no harm in giving hapkido a shot, especially if there's not much near you. Even being a guys first student can be fine, if you start and feel that it's useful then great! If not, then stop.

The only thing I'd be concerned about is if it would cause family drama if you decided hapkido wasn't your thing, but most people who train understand that not everyone who tries it will stick around.

Okay thank you! I have been doing researching and hapkido looks like good martial art. I think I will start tomorrow training.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
She is a new student. His only student. Private lessons.

I was born at night, but not last night. Could be legit. Signs point to use extreme caution, get credentials and investigate them, have a witness present at all times until established legit training.
Everyone has a first student that's their only student, unless they take over a school or manage to recruit several at the same time. Small programs often end up providing a lot of private lessons that aren't actually meant to be. I had many a class where only one student attended that day.

I will say that if he's a brand new instructor, I'd be optimistically skeptical about his ability to teach. Not all instructors actually teach people how to teach - they simply teach the art and expect students to become teachers as they become better technicians, which isn't at all a given.

Given the OP's female, if the location isn't public (and it probably isn't) it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring a friend to watch at least until she has some trust in him and/or he has more students.

EDIT: I just saw the OP's post about this being a long-time family friend, so I'm less concerned about that last paragraph.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
She is a new student. His only student. Private lessons.

I was born at night, but not last night. Could be legit. Signs point to use extreme caution, get credentials and investigate them, have a witness present at all times until established legit training.
Is it possible he is actually going to teach fondle-fu or
Hello! It's me Polina. I have been looking around my town for martial arts instructors because there is no dojo or dojang. I met Korean man who have study Hapkido for many years. Is it a good idea to ask him to teach me? Or should it be better to find dojo with other students?
As per the title question..traditional if you want to learn traditions, and modern if you want to learn to fight.

As for your situation with Korean guy..careful. he might want to 'grapple' in a way you haven't bargained for.

OP
Polina

Polina

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Is it possible he is actually going to teach fondle-fu or

As per the title question..traditional if you want to learn traditions, and modern if you want to learn to fight.

As for your situation with Korean guy..careful. he might want to 'grapple' in a way you haven't bargained for.

In my other posts I say I know him for long time. I don't think that is problem.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
EDIT: I just saw the OP's post about this being a long-time family friend, so I'm less concerned about that last paragraph.

I saw that also. Now I think this is a setup and don't trust the OP. Just me listening to my gut.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah. The choice seems to either train with this guy or not train.

Go train with him.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you for your advice. So it wouldn't be a bad idea to start with?
Yes, especially if your options are limited. As long as you have no concerns with a one-on-one scenario it could be a good thing. As others have said, you should still find to opportunities to work out or compete against others so you have something to compare to.
Best of luck and let us know how it goes. Welcome to the forum.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah. The choice seems to either train with this guy or not train.

Go train with him.
Rocket surgery, huh? Or is it brain science?

A guy the OP and/or OP’s family knows knows Hapkido. OP wants to train MA and there aren’t any MA schools schools nearby. Guy says he knows Hapkido and he’ll teach her if she’s interested. Said guy is now somehow a fondler.

I know we’re in the middle of this whole “me too” thing, but come on. Of course be cautious. But be sensible too.

If I moved out to the middle of Hazard County and there were dojos around, and a friend’s relative wanted to learn karate, I’d offer to teach her. Why not? I don’t have anywhere to train nor no one to train with. Wouldn’t make me a fondler, creeper, me-too’er nor anything other than a guy who just wants to train and doesn’t mind teaching a friend’s family member what I know.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rocket surgery, huh? Or is it brain science?

A guy the OP and/or OP’s family knows knows Hapkido. OP wants to train MA and there aren’t any MA schools schools nearby. Guy says he knows Hapkido and he’ll teach her if she’s interested. Said guy is now somehow a fondler.

I know we’re in the middle of this whole “me too” thing, but come on. Of course be cautious. But be sensible too.

If I moved out to the middle of Hazard County and there were dojos around, and a friend’s relative wanted to learn karate, I’d offer to teach her. Why not? I don’t have anywhere to train nor no one to train with. Wouldn’t make me a fondler, creeper, me-too’er nor anything other than a guy who just wants to train and doesn’t mind teaching a friend’s family member what I know.
I’ve passed the time limit on editing...

The “...if I moved out to Hazard County...” line should’ve been “and there WEREN’T any dojos around” rather than there were dojos.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1) OP says she met a guy who says he knows Hapkido, has no school or students, wants to give her private lessons.

2) Warnings given.

3) Oops, now guy is long time family friend, trained under this and that person, highly trusted, sorry, forgot somehow to mention that part.

Kind of a jump from "I met a guy" to "long time family friend."

16 year old Russian girl. New member. Odd stories.

I've gone from worrying someone was about to put themselves in danger to someone''s playing games. The shifting story doesn't feel right to me.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

OP
Polina

Polina

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
1) OP says she met a guy who says he knows Hapkido, has no school or students, wants to give her private lessons.

2) Warnings given.

3) Oops, now guy is long time family friend, trained under this and that person, highly trusted, sorry, forgot somehow to mention that part.

I've gone from worrying someone was about to put themselves in danger to someone''s playing games. The shifting story doesn't feel right to me.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

I'm sorry if I offended you. I say I met man who is friend of family. I met him for long time, I did not know that my meeting of him for long time was important, so I did not put it in. My question was if it was a good choice, not if I needed to be cautious.

wanderingstudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Everyone was a "new" teacher at some point. If this teacher doesn't demonstrate what you are looking for, move on. But, at least you will have something to measure against.

My school is traditional teaching with a modern mindset.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

2) Warnings given.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.
Seems like more of a minor language issue. I should point out that Russian is pretty slippery with tenses - they often move back and forth between them. My wife, who started learning English at age 5 and has lived in the US for more than 20 years sometimes slips between them in English. That slippery timeline makes words like "met" have a different connotation.

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
IMO, both private and public lessons have pros and cons associated with it and the discussion has covered them... The only thing that I would say, is make sure that he and you are both insured for training as accidents/incidents can occur... From what I've seen Hapkido is a combination of Aiki-jūjutsu and karate (Tang Soo Do/karate) and I've had injuries from both; luckily I haven't had the need to claim, but then again the clubs I train/trained at have safety equipment already.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seems like more of a minor language issue. I should point out that Russian is pretty slippery with tenses - they often move back and forth between them. My wife, who started learning English at age 5 and has lived in the US for more than 20 years sometimes slips between them in English. That slippery timeline makes words like "met" have a different connotation.

There's also fluidity of interpretation of English, and simply not having the precise word in your vocabulary.

I mean, I can say "I know a guy".

That could mean the guy is someone I went to school with and have spent time with weekly for 30 years.

Or, it could be that Dave down the pub told me that his aunt bought a dog off someone who has a friend who's wife knows someone...

Without clarification, nobody else knows which I mean.

So then you can't translate to the word 'know' in this context - so what else is available?

I meet someone? Doesn't look right. I met. That'll do.

In the same way, maybe I met him yesterday, maybe 30 years ago. Doesn't matter how well I know him, at some point I met him.

Latest Discussions