What is an "Honorary" Black Belt?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Kai said:
How would you feel if the police gave out Honorary Badges, or the Marianes would let you dress out in full dress blues??
I have seen news stories where a young person was made an honorary deputy or some such thing for acts of heroism. And I believe Richard Nixon made Elvis Presley an honorary FBI agent, did he not?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, what about that? I'm not sure I'd want Paul McCartney, Ian McLelland and Elton John rushing to my defense, if you know what I mean....:rolleyes:

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Yeah, what about that? I'm not sure I'd want Paul McCartney, Ian McLelland and Elton John rushing to my defense, if you know what I mean....:rolleyes:

Hey!!!!!! Ian is GANDALF.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
How would you feel if the police gave out Honorary Badges, or the Marianes would let you dress out in full dress blues??
I think that there's a difference in recognizing someone's earned rank in another system and just saying that they are a black belt. Honorary black belts have been given out like honorary college degrees many times, but that's not the same thing as letting a legit black belt workout with you in your school and not relegating him to the whitebelt class. And, incidently, the military DOES recognize rank in other branches. If you, as a Marine Sargent in uniform came upon an Army Captain in uniform on a base, you'd have to salute. That he was not ranked in your branch of the military is irrelevant.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not to sound offensive, but I have seen and almost been in situation(s) where a honary belt was to give as support with other hidden intentions in mind..

Latest Discussions