What is an "Honorary" Black Belt?

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering what does it mean when some instructors say that they will make you an "Honorary" black belt? I am a 2nd Dan in Kajukenbo and I was told that I would be an "Honorary" black belt in EPAK and TKD by two different instructors. Please explain.

Thanks.

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I really think it depends on the situation, my mother was probably less than 1 year from testing for her BlackBelt in TKD when she was diagnosed with lieukemia (spelling?) and had to quit her training. her instructor gave her an honorary black belt about 6 months later.

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure as far as being an "honorary black belt" in another system, but it is usually used for someone that has "given" a lot to a particular school or association. An example would be if a mother had her child in a MA school and contributed a lot to the school during that time, such as always participating in fund raisers, providing transportation to tournaments, etc. In some cases that person would be honored with an "Honorary Black Belt" from that school. Maybe some one else has a better example, but that is how I have seen it done in the past.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I haven't really heard of that in the MA, but wouldn't it be similiar to a college/university offering someone an honorary degree? I would guess that it's a way to recognize the contributions of the person, maybe to the school's benefit or just for society in general, and the school wants to reward them for it. I'm not sure, but those are my thoughts on it right now.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its just my opinion but I don't think an "honorary" black belt in another system means much if anything. I'm a 2nd dan in Taekwondo but know nothing about EPAK or Kajukenbo even though some of the skills are the same. Ours is a Korean art, what is Kajukenbo? I think you have to learn the system the hard way-earn it- to have your name associated with it, especially with a martial art. You would probably/maybe :idunno: get to keep your black belt in our school, but you would have to learn all the material, techniques WTF style, forms, breaks, tournaments required etc. to advance from white belt up-might as well put it on to start as that "honors" our system. TW

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Honorary Black Belts means nothing absolutely nothing. You might have well brought it on E-bay or at your local MA store...

OP
masherdong

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Its just my opinion but I don't think an "honorary" black belt in another system means much if anything. I'm a 2nd dan in Taekwondo but know nothing about EPAK or Kajukenbo even though some of the skills are the same. Ours is a Korean art, what is Kajukenbo? I think you have to learn the system the hard way-earn it- to have your name associated with it, especially with a martial art. You would probably/maybe :idunno: get to keep your black belt in our school, but you would have to learn all the material, techniques WTF style, forms, breaks, tournaments required etc. to advance from white belt up-might as well put it on to start as that "honors" our system. TW
Kajukenbo is a mixture of 5 different arts: Karate, Judo/Jiu-Jitsu, Kenpo, and Chinese Boxing. I believe it originated in Hawaii and considered a hawaiian art. But, I am thinking the same as you TW. I think that I would still have to go through their system and do all the requirements that are needed to become a BB in their system.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I can't be sure, but it may just be that the schools want to use you as a recruiting tool. My instructer has told me of this happening to him and frinds of his.

As in:

"Ya, this guy was a black belt at this other school, but he figured our school was better, and know he is a black belt here. See how good our school is, you should come and train with us instead of those other schools."

I don't want to acuse anyone of anything, but I have heard of it happening before, and it is something to watch out for.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
i am training in Ryu Kyu Kempo and when I get my black belt I might want to branch out and try other systems/styles, some school well allow you to keep your black belt ranking, because you have trained so long and hard to get it. BUT will still test you white belt on up, and if you are a MAist for life and still know your stuff and train everyday, everything should be easier for you, than it was when you where first started, although you may get a little board with it

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've heard of several indications where an "honorary" black belt is given.

One would be when a student in training becomes very ill or injured and can no longer train at all. If the instructor deems that the student has put forth a great deal of time and effort and has progressed to that level on the inside, they may award an HBB.

Another would be when a student cannot perform ALL the physical requirements for the test due to personal physical limitation, such as bad knees (no jumping) or spinal issues. Some instructors are quite strict in requirements and if one can't do all the moves but qualify in time and grade, then one might receive an HBB.

Then there are HBBs that are awarded out of courtesy and as a kinship gesture (my poor wording). Generally, these are given to political figureheads or celebrities or between black belts in different styles.

You know, there's attaining the physical requirements for black belt, then there's being a black belt in the heart and in the mind. If you get all three, then terriffic!

Instructor's choice, say I.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Honary Black Belt is nothing, devaules your students efforts and is gonna be an eventual yardsale find

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Honary Black Belt is nothing, devaules your students efforts and is gonna be an eventual yardsale find
Not true. Maybe sometimes but not as general rule. I quit training under my brother-in-law over 10 years ago. He's since evaluated my progression in the arts "overall."

He said that he's going to give me a black belt under him based on merit. A "sense of completion" through him. No teaching certificate and it will be stated (in Japanese) the that it is based on merit.

So it is an honorary black belt but some what earned.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You can't or should'nt be allowed to kind of make Black Belt. Either you earn it or you don't-that's what makes it a Black belt.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You should'nt be able to kinda earn a Black Belt. Either you earned it or you did'nt. If someone thinks they are doing you a favor they are not

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
When a student that has shown promise passes away at a time near the time of his black belt test, is a oppertunity to dedicate a black belt to He/she. God forbid anything like that happening

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
masherdong said:
Hey guys,

I was wondering what does it mean when some instructors say that they will make you an "Honorary" black belt? I am a 2nd Dan in Kajukenbo and I was told that I would be an "Honorary" black belt in EPAK and TKD by two different instructors. Please explain.

Thanks.
Generally, it means that your BB in your other systems - in the instructor's eyes- is being recognized as an equivalency of skill in the instructor's system and you are treated with the same benefits as a BB in his system.

Though you don't know the curriculum per se, you do demonstrate the skill, proficiency and character (if a prerequisite) that is similar to that in the other systems.

It's 'nice' but you have to be careful if you are promoting yourself (advertising wise) that it may come under fire if you try to list your 'honorary BB' in the other arts.

I tend to keep it conservative and only talk about the stuff that I can verify through records.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
but those of us who are not black belts, won't have to worry about that for some time

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Kai said:
You should'nt be able to kinda earn a Black Belt. Either you earned it or you did'nt. If someone thinks they are doing you a favor they are not
Actually, the color Black is what makes it a BB. What makes it credible is how honestly the evaluator rates your work and whether he/she sees it as BB level.

I agree that you should earn it, but does that always mean in ONE school with ONE instructor under ONE curriculum? I don't think it has to mean that. I joined the service and left my primary instructor for years. While I was gone, I kept up with what I learned to the point of leaving but trained in TKD, RyuKyu Kempo, Wing CHun....none of them to any degree of expertise, but I was training as regularly as I could.

When I returned, I was given a settling in time and awared a promotion from my leaving rank to the next grade up because my 'other training' met the quality standards and satisfied the requirements from within the system.

There have been many discussions about how certain arts are similar in so many ways....why would it be wrong to recognize that a side kick that you learned in TKD is good enough to check off that block/requirement in Kenpo or another art as long as the quality is there?

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
so you didn't have to test for your next belt? Or was it just given to you because your Sensei knows the people you have trained with and it does meet the requirements.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Kai said:
You can't or should'nt be allowed to kind of make Black Belt. Either you earn it or you don't-that's what makes it a Black belt.
Thats not true unless we are talking about something differant. Recognition from a former instructor is earned in many ways, 1 being merit. And that decision is left up the instructor. Not everything is technical. A lot is based on maturity in the arts.

Latest Discussions