What have you learned from a white belt lately?

kenpotroop

Green Belt
Reaction score
I recently had a new whitebelt started that has a learning disability. The kid had so much heart and wants to learn that he doesn't care if it takes him years to get his first belt. Thats a lot of heart and I 've learned heart and desire is very important.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
Hmmm interesting thread.

I think I have learned a lot just from looking at how they moved and body positioning. Seeing them kick in TKD without twisting their foot drove home how important body placement was. Not to mention to leave a little breathing room between hits in sparring practice as those white belts will hit 100% even if they dont mean to.

Back in the 80's, PKA karate (AKA fullcontact kickboxing) was very popular on ESPN. Often folks would start class after watching it. They'd naturally want to emulate their idols on tv. Full-power w/ white belt flexibility! Ah, those were the days.:)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenpotroop said:
I recently had a new whitebelt started that has a learning disability. The kid had so much heart and wants to learn that he doesn't care if it takes him years to get his first belt. Thats a lot of heart and I 've learned heart and desire is very important.

The fact that you're willing to be right there w/ him says a lot about you. :asian: