What fiction book are you currently reading?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bias Incident: The World's Most Politically Incorrect Novel by Ari Mendelson
Very good so far, only $.99 on Kindle, can't go too wrong for that price. I'm also rereading the Belgariad by David Eddings, in hard copy because there is no Kindle edition... >:

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just started Terms of Enlistment by Marko Kloos pretty good so far, reminds me of Scalzi, kinda...
Also started the fourth book of the Belgariad, which is in the other room and the title eludes me.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just finished I, ROBOT (which has very little to do with the film with Will Smith). I`ve read most of Aasimov`s Robot and Fundation stories by now, Robot Dreams and Robot Visions still waiting in the bookcase.

Took a break from the robots and started on Timothy Zahn`s Cobra Gamble, third book of the Cobra War trlilogy. The first few pages seems exelent.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm just about finished with The Walking Dead: The Road to Woodbury, pretty decent read if you're a fan of the comic and the series.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Just finished Monster Hunter Legion by Correia - fun as usual, would but has run into the problem of having to maintain the level of action at "world crisis" levels, in many ways I enjoyed the first book where the mosters were "merely" vamps or other bump in the night uglies.

Working on the Mongoliad by Stephenson et al. - very good, a little disjointed right now but I am enjoying the description of accurate swordplay.

The in the car audio book with my son is "The Mark of Athena" by Rick Riorden, continued good stuff for kids interested in adventure, I like them better than the Harry Potter series.

The right before bed book with my son - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. -

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Patrick O'Brian- Master and Commander

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
"On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life" by Charles Darwin. I don't think I'll finish reading it though, because it makes me laugh so hard my sides become sore.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
"On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life" by Charles Darwin. I don't think I'll finish reading it though, because it makes me laugh so hard my sides become sore.

I know the feeling. I tried to get through the Christian bible and had the same problem.

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's a great read. A little preachy, but the authors had good imaginations and a flair for storytelling.

I'll let the ending be a surprise for you guys, but I'll warn you that you might feel burned by it not turning out the way you wanted it to.

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm reading the new Dan Brown book, The Inferno. I'm about half way through it so far. It's set it Florence, Italy, which is kind of cool for me because I went there a few years ago, and I recognize a lot of the scenes.

If you've liked the other Robert Langdon books, you'll probably like this one.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
A World Without End, by Ken Foller. Watched the movie, mildly curious about the book.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Antiagon Fire, the latest book in L. E. Modesitt, Jr.'s Imager Portfolio. As usual, a good read with solid and consistent magical systems that have their own costs for those who can do magic, and a strong theme of personal responsibility and doing your best.

Just finished For Honor We Stand and To Honor You Call Us by H. Paul Honsinger & Harvey G. Phillips. Solid hard military science fiction, reflecting a lot of research into sailing era navies (which makes sense in the setting) and some hard thinking on the physics end (as well as some fun in-jokes about Star Trek and other science fiction series). In some ways, I think David Feintuch did it a little better with the Seafort Saga, but the stories are very different, and the issues are rather different.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hugh Howley's "Wool" and "Shift" series...anyone else read these?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Antiagon Fire, the latest book in L. E. Modesitt, Jr.'s Imager Portfolio. As usual, a good read with solid and consistent magical systems that have their own costs for those who can do magic, and a strong theme of personal responsibility and doing your best.

Just finished For Honor We Stand and To Honor You Call Us by H. Paul Honsinger & Harvey G. Phillips. Solid hard military science fiction, reflecting a lot of research into sailing era navies (which makes sense in the setting) and some hard thinking on the physics end (as well as some fun in-jokes about Star Trek and other science fiction series). In some ways, I think David Feintuch did it a little better with the Seafort Saga, but the stories are very different, and the issues are rather different.

Waiting for Honsinger and Phillips next book...supposed to be out this year.

Try Elliot Kay's " Poor Mans Fight" if you liked the Honor series...an interesting contrast.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm reading A Feast for Crows, but I'm looking forward to receiving Boys in the Boat. One of my coworkers' dad was on the 1936 UW rowing team that went to the olympics and won gold medals. He mentioned several months ago that someone was writing a book about them, and I've been anxiously waiting for it since. Comes out Tuesday.

Grumpywolfman, I appreciate your concern. Fortunately, the new pope has my back.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Waiting for Honsinger and Phillips next book...supposed to be out this year.

Try Elliot Kay's " Poor Mans Fight" if you liked the Honor series...an interesting contrast.

There's also Dave Grossman's Two-Space books, though they're almost more about showing some of his research "in action" in a fictional setting... Apparently Honsinger & Phillips's next book is going to be delayed a bit; they've got a blog out about being picked up by Amazon, who intends to reissue and re-edit the first two books, then issue the third. Honestly... I think a good, professional editor can improve the books. Some redundant exposition can be eliminated, and maybe some of the dialogue cleaned up and made more realistic.

Latest Discussions