What fiction book are you currently reading?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm reading the new Dan Brown book, The Inferno. I'm about half way through it so far. It's set it Florence, Italy, which is kind of cool for me because I went there a few years ago, and I recognize a lot of the scenes.

If you've liked the other Robert Langdon books, you'll probably like this one.
People who like this sort of thing will find it the sort of thing they like.
I enjoyed it.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hugh Howley's "Wool" and "Shift" series...anyone else read these?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
I trudged through the first 3 wool books. A friend kept telling me they would get better, the lying bastard...
I'm rereading Simon R Green's From Hell with Love.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I trudged through the first 3 wool books. A friend kept telling me they would get better, the lying bastard...
I'm rereading Simon R Green's From Hell with Love.

I'm liking them well enough...Interesting how its the democrats of the future who take on the mantle of rebooting the world to their vision and under their control. ;)

I hear there's a movie in the works.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just started Dodger by Terry Prattchett, different to his Discworld stuff, but still well written and funny. Got to appreciate it as I can't see many more books coming from him.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Finally got a copy of "Shadow of Freedom" by David Webber. It's only a Kindle copy (I know my wife was going to get me the hardback but I must trim costs where I can now) so I probably won't enjoy reading it as much as a 'real' book but we shall see how it shapes up.

One thing has continued on from the recent book or two in the Harrington series is the use of profanity in the dialogue - I know enough real life veterans to know how colourful their language can be but I wish Webber hadn't fallen into this path. Maybe it's just my age but I don't need to see certain words in print; to my mind I am inviting an author into my home when I buy their books and I'd prefer them to mind their manners.

Last edited:

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Suke, I hate "real" books now. I love my Kindle, best thing I ever spent money on.
Reading John Scalzi's The Human Division, which was originally published in serial form, which, while I like the idea in theory, I was fine with waiting for the compilation.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Read Neil Gaimon's How to Talk to Girls at Parties. Dull. Now re-reading A.A. Milne, Winnie-The-Pooh.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Suke, I hate "real" books now. I love my Kindle, best thing I ever spent money on.

They are very convenient when out and about, I do agree. I take mine with me whenever I am going somewhere that is going to involve me waiting for a while. But I have to say I do much prefer the tactile sensations of handling a real book - plus I tend to fall asleep reading in bed and I am a little worried I'll drop the Kindle onto the floor and break it.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh, I am paranoid about breaking my Kindle. But, I'm really REALLY careful with it.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Me too. I have a Kindle app on my other gadgets too....but I still like reading from my Kindle best of all.

That being said, I picked up 3 fiction books by a local author at a Farmer's market. The first, Tall Boy, is meh. Hope it gets better.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
They are very convenient when out and about, I do agree. I take mine with me whenever I am going somewhere that is going to involve me waiting for a while. But I have to say I do much prefer the tactile sensations of handling a real book - plus I tend to fall asleep reading in bed and I am a little worried I'll drop the Kindle onto the floor and break it.

I also love my Kindle. I've fallen asleep and dropped it on the floor more than once. It's survived that three foot fall onto carpet without issues. (knocks wood) I also have the Kindle app on my phone and iPad, and i prefer the real thing.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Prefer Nook to Kindle. My wife has both, and has had lots of problems with the Kindle...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm listening to the Game of Thrones series. I got them off of Audible.com for free. You get a free download every month and it takes me about a month to get through each volume.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Isn't middle age wonderful:)

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just started reading the Conan Centenary edition, basically all of the original Conan stories in one collection. Really good and visceral, if a little bit repetitive.

Latest Discussions