What fiction book are you currently reading?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just finished "I, Strahd"... quick, light reading.

I don't read a lot of vampire fiction, but It was arite.

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
Three irons in the fire right now...

The Third Option - Vince Flynn
The Lions of Lucerne - Brad Thor
Dracula - Bram Stoker (I read this about once a year...just a great book).

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I picked up the Hobbit the other day. Been a LONG time since I read that :) After that, I think I'll pick up Similrilion... Never read it, and just borrowed it from a friend. Good stuff!

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I recently finished The Cat Who Walks Through Walls. After reading it I checked out the Wikipedia article on it and figured there were a couple books I didn't read that probably should have been read before that one; The Number of the Beast and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

I'm currently reading The Great Gatsby. I've heard it called 'the great American novel', so I thought I would check it out.

I'm halfway through it and I don't think it is about a magician. ;) Also, I know it's bad, but when I think of the author's name I always want to add, "and the horse he rode in on too!"

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some interesting volumes being mentioned in this thread :tup:.

For myself, nothing too heavy at the moment. I'm re-reading "Prelude to Foundation" by Asimov with "Forward the Foundation" next in the pile. After that, I suspect that it's back to the Honour Harrington series that I'm half way through for the umpteenth time (books that move you to tears when they're supposedly 'space opera' just have to be respected :D).

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
This Present Darkness, Frank Peretti. I've gone through about all of his adult books this past year... great author :)

Even though I'm not a Christian, I found This Present Darkness rather stirring. Peretti's kind of an *** -- some of his other work demonstrates a profound ignorance of many of the things he condemns (martial arts among them). But I rather enjoyed Present Darkness.

Guilo kicks ****.

Me, I'm reading Stephenson's Quicksilver. Good read thus far. Also, the wife and I are rereading Harry Potter in anticipation of the next book.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm just about finished with Stephenson's "The Diamond Age" which is very very good, and managed to keep me awake and on the freeway on a one-shot drive between Seattle and Green River, WY. Audiobooks rock for long drives.

I think this guy is becoming one of my favorite authors.

Lamont

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm just about finished with Stephenson's "The Diamond Age" which is very very good, and managed to keep me awake and on the freeway on a one-shot drive between Seattle and Green River, WY. Audiobooks rock for long drives.

I think this guy is becoming one of my favorite authors.

Lamont

Have you read "Zodiac" yet? One of his earlier efforts. The main character is the world's most user-friendly a-hole.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Esome of his other work demonstrates a profound ignorance of many of the things he condemns (martial arts among them).
At what point did he condemn martial arts? I don't seem to recall that, at least not a general razing of MA. I think I've read just about every adult fiction book of his lately...

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Have you read "Zodiac" yet? One of his earlier efforts. The main character is the world's most user-friendly a-hole.

Nope, I've only read Snow Crash, Cryptonomicon, and now the Diamond Age. I don't think he is a writer than I can read alot of, 1 or 2 a year is pretty good for me, but I really like his style.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
At what point did he condemn martial arts? I don't seem to recall that, at least not a general razing of MA. I think I've read just about every adult fiction book of his lately...

The sequel to Present Darkness (perhaps called 'Piercing the Darkness'...it's been 15 years or so) sets up a conflict wherein a local school teaches yoga and tai chi, which is of course the work of the devil. Piretti's descriptions of the actual classes demonstrate absolute ignorance of the subject.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nope, I've only read Snow Crash, Cryptonomicon, and now the Diamond Age. I don't think he is a writer than I can read alot of, 1 or 2 a year is pretty good for me, but I really like his style.

Yeah, I'm with you. There's so much info on any given page that it's actually fatiguing to read his stuff. Enjoyable, though. He really is very, very good.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
The sequel to Present Darkness (perhaps called 'Piercing the Darkness'...it's been 15 years or so) sets up a conflict wherein a local school teaches yoga and tai chi, which is of course the work of the devil. Piretti's descriptions of the actual classes demonstrate absolute ignorance of the subject.
Actually, thats next on my list of books to read of his. I'll pay attn. I lost my copy, had to borrow one from a friend :)

Thanks for the heads up...

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm nearly done with a novel by Sheri S. Tepper, called Beauty - possibly the most unusual take on fairy tales I've seen; in this version, Sleeping Beauty is half fairy... except she's not the one who sleeps - her nearly-identical half-sister (dad sleeps around a lot) gets caught by the spell, while Beauty ends up being taken to the 2200's by some time traveling researchers, then coming back to have her daughter... Ella (that is, Cinder Ella)... to whom Beauty (who left when Ella was an infant) plays fairy godmother, and who in turn has a daugther named Snowdrop (Snow White and the 7 dwarves, more or less).

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, it was disappointing that way. I really, really enjoyed This Present Darkness and have given it as a gift more than once.

I hear ya. I've been reading some of his more recent works, such as Monster and The Visitation. I read Piercing the Darkness many moons ago, but I simply don't remember it that well..

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
rereading Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince

Im also reading From The Corner Of His Eye by Dean Koontz

B

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
rereading Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince

Im also reading From The Corner Of His Eye by Dean Koontz

B
HP and the 1/2 Prince was good. I'll probably be picking up the new one as soon as I can get it cheap :)

I'm working on the Simillrilion now by Tolkein. Kind of a tough read. Way too many names and aliases!

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm on a classics kick now. I made a list of around fifteen books to read this summer.

I recently finished Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise, now I'm reading Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms.

After the mortar round explosion early in the story I thought maybe the book should have been named A Farewell to Legs, but he recovered for the most part and maintained all limbs (unlike in The Sun Also Rises, where a war injury to the main character causes problems with a different appendage).

Ulysses by James Joyce is next on my list. I understand that the prose may be difficult. It maybe especially difficult after coming from the very simple and straightforward style of Hemingway.

Latest Discussions