What does a black belt truely mean?

C

Chito

RRouuselot said:
Tsuruoka was visited by his Sensei Dr. Chitose in 1962, 67 and 73. During the 70's, Tsuruoka was influenced by Shotokan and began to adopt the Shotokan katas into Chito-Ryu. The introduction of these katas lead to a change in the teachings of Chito-Ryu within Canada. This lead to Tsuruoka disassociating himself with Dr. Chitose in 1979 and establishing the Tsuruoka Karate Association with dojos all across Canada.

Today, (8th dan) 0 Sensei Tsuruoka teaches out of his new dojo in Toronto when not conducting seminars across Canada or attending training camps in the USA. After 39 years of teaching, Tsuruoka shows no signs of trading in his gi for a good set of golf clubs.
FYI... tad more to that... O'Sensei replaced Tsuruoka Sensei as head of Chito Ryu in Canada without even informing him first. While Tsuruoka Sensei did start to incorporate Shotokan (he thought it was a more simple style to teach North Americans), it was more "politics" that made the split happen. Today, Tsuruoka-Do (basically Shotokan) is very popular in Canada. He's one of the finest teachers today.

Main question... black belt... like my sensei says to the kids classes, its something that holds up your pants. We're all unique and individual... I've seen green belts win both kata and kumite over black belts. To me, it means you have sufficiently learned your style's core techniques. After shodan, the real learning begins. I just think we get caught up in thinking a black belt means you're a certain type of skilled martial artist. Maybe the proliferation of poor quality dojos and instructors have added to this. To me, it's more about knowledge.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Chito said:
1)While Tsuruoka Sensei did start to incorporate Shotokan (he thought it was a more simple style to teach North Americans), it was more "politics" that made the split happen. Today, Tsuruoka-Do (basically Shotokan) is very popular in Canada. He's one of the finest teachers today.

1)I love it when the Japanese get on their arrogant high horse and make up stupid reasons like that to cover for their own inadequacies and lack of knowledge. As if western people are too stupid to learn something so they have to dumb it down for us. :rolleyes:

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Main question... black belt... like my sensei says to the kids classes, its something that holds up your pants.

Not a real convincing argument to train for your Black Belt

We're all unique and individual... I've seen green belts win both kata and kumite over black belts.

Should'nt happen

To me, it means you have sufficiently learned your style's core techniques. After shodan, the real learning begins.

I just think we get caught up in thinking a black belt means you're a certain type of skilled martial artist. Maybe the proliferation of poor quality dojos and instructors have added to this.

maybe it's people saying things like "A belt just holds your pants up"
Todd

J

jjmcc

Black means the opposite of white just like the Yin Yang

:partyon: :partyon:

A

Autocrat

Well, though I hate to answer a question with a question....

What would a Black belt mean to you?

I personally dislike grades.... yet some of them are important... Green/mid level indicates you have practised the basics and have a grasp of their actions.... Browns means that you are learning some of the more technical applications, black indicates that you have learned the basics and are ready to learn the more advanced stuff.

Saying that though, I strongly believe that there are more important things to consider than just the learning of techniques and kata... a solid understanding of the philosophy of your style, the aknowledgement of personal strengths and weaknesses, the acceptance of imperfection and the wish to strive further. The love and compassion you develope for your fellow karate-ka and other people. The leaving behind of hate and aggression and instead taking what comes with a calmer appraoch - what needs to be done shall be done, no more nor less!

To me, attaining the black should mean that I have not only learned to move through kata and forms in a suitably flowing fashion and execute moves in the correct sequence.... nor does it solely entail that I have learned all ## punches, ## kicks, ## throws/locks/chokes/holds etc... it means that I have come to understand how much I have learned, and how much more there still is to learn!

But, as I have asked....What would a Black belt mean to you?

A

Autocrat

Sod it... thats develope with out the e on the end (develop!)

A

Autocrat

Sensei Chris says...

"A black belt is a personal journey, and it can mean what ever you want it to mean.... as long as you don't get fry's with it from McDojo!"

The lineage of your belt is just as important as the grade itself. If you want a quick one, go to Go Kan Ryu.

A

Aaron Little

What does a black belt truely mean?

To some it means Everything. To others it means Nothing.

To some it is just a peice of cloth. To others it represnets a life long journey.

To some it is a goal. To others it is a road block to growth.

To some it is a symbol of personal achievemnt. To others it is a tool with which to demand respect.

What does it mean to me? Not much at all.

What should it mean to you? Well that is up to you.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ummm...what's a "Brown Stripe" in Shotokan. Do you mean 3rd, 2nd, or 1st Kyu? Those are the rankings in Shotokan for brown belt that I'm familiar with.

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A black belt is one that has attained the level of learning that is required to move on in their respective art. In Kenpo, once you get your BB, you have just begun to learn the art. This is when all the "good" stuff starts.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That is my analogy with the high school diploma or GED. Sure you had academics, but now and after, you have to learn in the real word.

T

Tidy_Sammy

The Kai said:
Main question... black belt... like my sensei says to the kids classes, its something that holds up your pants.

Not a real convincing argument to train for your Black Belt

We're all unique and individual... I've seen green belts win both kata and kumite over black belts.

Should'nt happen

To me, it means you have sufficiently learned your style's core techniques. After shodan, the real learning begins.

I just think we get caught up in thinking a black belt means you're a certain type of skilled martial artist. Maybe the proliferation of poor quality dojos and instructors have added to this.

maybe it's people saying things like "A belt just holds your pants up"
Todd
He actually made some interesting points, you can't seem to come up with a decent reverse argument, so it almost looks like a subtle defeat of some sort.

If you have a 13 year old black belt who weighs 7 stone, and you pit him against a 35 year old mid-stage belt (choose your colour depending on art), who do you think will most likely win?

Now I'm obviously over emphasizing the statement to make it clearer, but you get my point, people with inferior belts can and will sometimes win, it doesn't mean it's wrong, it's just the way it goes.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
ShotoSan said:
Hey that is a good point. I have been mispelling Wado, I only studied that for a year or so, and never really learned the spelling. The thing is with Shotokan, your absolutely right, I have NEVER heard of Tsurouka teaching anything else than Shotokan, and when I found out my current master in another martial art, I was a bit confuesd as to why he never heard of Tsurouka. I googled it, some pages will tell me that he is the founder, some will tell me hes not.
Hmmnn, sorry no offense intended, how can you be a apprentice black in Wado and studied for a year or so?

By googling something is not the total answer and not every website has correct information.

If you have to ask what it means to be a black belt...then you may not be a "true" one...no offense

Latest Discussions