What do you want in a MA blog?

Kenposcholar

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What would you like to see in a martial art blog? I'm a professional physicist & also have been studying American Kenpo for nearly 15 years. What kinds of topics do you find lacking from other blogs that my profession could help with? I've been considering making short reads about principles, applicable physics, technique analysis, and general philosophy.

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Your training and your opinions about current Martial Arts news. An example would be your general thoughts about a recent MMA event. Like a fight, or something.

I am also interested in reading about what you've learned over the years as an American Kenpo practitioner. I couldn't care less about your day job. No offense. lol

OP
Kenposcholar

Kenposcholar

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Your training and your opinions about current Martial Arts news. An example would be your general thoughts about a recent MMA event. Like a fight, or something.

I am also interested in reading about what you've learned over the years as an American Kenpo practitioner. I couldn't care less about your day job. No offense. lol

None taken! I appreciate your input.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What would you like to see in a martial art blog? I'm a professional physicist & also have been studying American Kenpo for nearly 15 years. What kinds of topics do you find lacking from other blogs that my profession could help with? I've been considering making short reads about principles, applicable physics, technique analysis, and general philosophy.
sounds good, go for it

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would actually be more interested in your "day job" there are a million kenpo guys out there and all have opinions. My thought is to write what is interesting to you. For me what would make a blog interesting is the view point and personality of the writer. To try and chase after what people may or may not want will probably not get you many views.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have to agree with hoshin. Most of what I know about different techniques is how they work relative to each other. I'd be curious to see the physics as to how strong different techniques are.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I geek out about some of the highly technical aspects like you've mentioned, including some of the math - both the simplified version I can probably do, and the more complete versions I cannot (but my wife could). It's not really that it's useful to me (it may or may not be), but I find it almost endlessly fascinating.

I'd also be interested in seeing someone discuss the progression of the sort of "code" in MA. I was taught an abbreviated (and probably bastardized ajnd idealized) version of the Japanese budo code. I'd be interested in a discussion of how ethics and philosophy from hundreds of years ago are and are not applicable to today. That could be approached from each applicable cultural perspective, including the idealized view of western knights.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I absolutely agree with hoshin. I could google martial arts blog, and find 50 different blogs about martial artists opinions on whatever topic. But reading one that focuses on the physics of how everything works? That would be tougher to find. I'm not sure how I could put it to use, but it would be interesting to read.

Latest Discussions