What do you say to the person who believes...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
If they're guys I explain the benefits from a man's point of view. If they're women, I try to gently explain that it would be to their benefit from a self-defense point of view ALONG with the physical benefits of keeping in shape and maintianing their girlish figures.

OH! OH! OH! I've been incensed anew!!

Here's my new response from here on out:

If they're women, I'll gently explain that they can kick a guy's *** anyday and if they're men, I'll gently explain that there are physical benefits of keeping in shape and maintaining their girlish state-of-mind - OOPS! FIGURE!! I meant figure ... :ultracool

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Look them straight in the eye, and in a very serious voice say "Yes, well, when I get accepted as a honorary Ninja Turtle you'll change your mind." and walk straight to the nearest sewer enterance, strugle with it for a minute, then turn back to them and ask for a little help.

:D
Heh.

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I've heard it before. Now I just say, 'yup - you're prolly right. There's no question you could kick my ***. Look at you - you're bigger, have more muscle mass, man I wouldn't have a chance against someone like you."

They usually don't have much more to say and I can go on about my day. The only people I bother discussing it much with are the people who ASK me what it has done for me and how I've used it in real life.

Im with shesulsa on this one.It's not usually worth wasting your breath arguing with people of this mindset.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:

If they're women, I'll gently explain that they can kick a guy's *** anyday and if they're men, I'll gently explain that there are physical benefits of keeping in shape and maintaining their girlish state-of-mind - OOPS! FIGURE!! I meant figure ... :ultracool

"G",

Just about any woman can beat my butt.

** Wow is she swinging on me? **

**** CRACK ****

** Yep she just laid me out. **

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
"G",

**** CRACK ****

Well any woman can beat my butt too... trouble is not liking it too much. :D

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lisa said:
“Martial Arts classes are a waste of time and money and only fools part with their money. If you take them you get a false sense of security. There is no way a guy/gal like you would have a chance against someone bigger, stronger or faster, like me. In a real fight, anyone would be able to take you down, unless you got lucky. C’mon…lets see, take me down, I won’t even resist”

Sound familiar? I am sure we all have been faced with someone like this at some point in time. What do you say to them? How do you change their mind? Do you try? Do you explain that Martial Arts is more then just fighting and self defence? Do you explain your true purpose of practicing your art? Or do you just leave narrow minded people be?

Usually I say nothing because IMO it wouldn't be worth my time. These people are usually so set in their ways, no matter what I say, its not going to change their views. This is one of the reasons why I rarely talk about my training with anyone that does not train themselves. However, if the person is sincere with their question and not trying to bait me, I usually have no problems discussing any aspect of the arts.

So, to answer the question, I either say nothing at all or simply reply, "Yes, you're probably right." and continue on my way.

Mike

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I really wouldnt care, I d brush it off and keep on walking. I dont feel like I have to demonstrate myself to anyone. Words are just words, Sticks and Stones now that is a totally different issue =)

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Great Topic! As many others said, usually I simply say "it's not all about fighting, yada yada yada..."

However a couple weeks ago an in-law saw me studying for my black belt written exam. He matter-of-factly asked "So what do you get out of TaeKwonDo?"

Wow, I was actually at a loss for words at first. I mean, what DON'T I get out of TKD, I just love it, love going to class, working out with my friends, helping other classes, heck even cleaning the gym. It has becoming something more than something I do, it is more of something I am.

Yeah I've been hassled and teased, but once people see how passionate you are about something they either get bored and quit teasing you or get interested and join you!

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Usually I just ignore them and let them believe what they want. No matter what you try to do, people like that will never be convinced otherwise. If I was to say something, I'd just list my reasons for being in MA, and what it's done for me.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AdrenalineJunky said:
We should all hold hands and sing songs around the camp-fire. :D

Kumbayah my lord, Kumbayah! :D

Glad you two worked it out. Terry has a very strange sense of humor. He cracks me up so much. :lfao:

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
"G",

**** CRACK ****

heh heh heh...

I was just at a first aid course tonight. They were applying a splint to my "pretend" broken arm. My partner looked at me and said " damn you could crack a guy hard across the head with that one, couldn't ya?"

heh...weapons are everywhere! :D

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:

:lfao:

You slay me! :D

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AdrenalineJunky said:
We should all hold hands and sing songs around the camp-fire. :D

As long as those lovely ladys are there with us
icon14.gif

Terry

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lisa said:
Kumbayah my lord, Kumbayah! :D

Glad you two worked it out. Terry has a very strange sense of humor. He cracks me up so much. :lfao:

Will someone kindly create an e-camp-fire so I can sing badly?

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AdrenalineJunky said:
Will someone kindly create an e-camp-fire so I can sing badly?

as requested :D

Attachments

• $Animated Campfire.gif
    169.6 KB · Views: 119

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
“Martial Arts classes are a waste of time and money and only fools part with their money. If you take them you get a false sense of security. There is no way a guy/gal like you would have a chance against someone bigger, stronger or faster, like me. In a real fight, anyone would be able to take you down, unless you got lucky. C’mon…lets see, take me down, I won’t even resist”

Sound familiar? I am sure we all have been faced with someone like this at some point in time. What do you say to them? How do you change their mind? Do you try? Do you explain that Martial Arts is more then just fighting and self defence? Do you explain your true purpose of practicing your art? Or do you just leave narrow minded people be?

I stopped wasting my time with these sorts of people years ago. Generally, there comments reflect THEIR own deep seated insecurities (gotta deny or belittle everyone else's accomplishments) and personal immaturity.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
people! :disgust:

What an excellent opportunity to say, "Come to the school sometime for a free lesson. See for yourself."

Then just refuse to talk anymore about it.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AdrenalineJunky said:
We should all hold hands and sing songs around the camp-fire.

terryl965 said:
As long as those lovely ladys are there with us
icon14.gif

Terry

Did someone say "campfire songs?" :ultracool

*To the tune of the Battle Hymn of the Republic*

I wear my pink pajamas in the summer when it's hot ...
I wear my flannel nightie in the winter when it's not ...
And sometimes in the springtime and sometimes in the fall,
I jump into my bed with NOTHIN' ON AT ALL!

Glory, glory, Hallelujah!
Glory, glory, What's it to ya?
Glory, Breeze is blowin' through ya
I jump into my bed with NOTHIN' ON AT ALL!

Latest Discussions