What do you believe?

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
In light of some recent MT conversations, I would like to poll everyone and see which of the following you believe. Short answers (yes, no, maybe, I don't know) are preferable.

1. Qi exists
2. It is possible to use qi to "supercharge" or enhance physical techniques
3. It is possible to project qi to harm others
4. It is possible to project qi to heal or improve the health of others
5. All legitimate martial arts styles are equal for all body types
6. All legitimate martial arts styles are ultimately equal, but some are optimized for certain body types
7. There are superior and inferior ways to move the body for a given effect
8. There are superior and inferior methods of unarmed fighting
9. Some legitimate styles are better than others
10. There is an ultimate style for a certain goal or for certain goals (unarmed fighting, fighting with knives, fighting with clubs, self-development, qi-development, it doesn't matter)
11. There is an ultimate style period.
12. "traditional" takedown defenses not involving sports wrestling methods are effective
13. It is possible to become immovably rooted
14. It is possible for a person to continue to improve at MA in terms of fighting ability well into their 80s or beyond
15. It is possible for a person to be rightfully considered a capable fighter without ever having fought anyone
16. It is possible for a person to be rightfully considered a capable fighter without having fought anyone skilled in any martial art or fighting method
17. The belt system is in sum a good thing for the martial arts
18. Martial arts improve over time
19. Martial arts tend to decline over time (founder was probably the best and its all downhill from there)
20. Martial arts improved up until some apogee and have declined since then (ie some people say judo improved until the early 40s and has declined since then, or that the art of Aikido improved until the end of WWII and then declined)
21. These questions are in some way insulting

Thanks!

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
In light of some recent MT conversations, I would like to poll everyone and see which of the following you believe. Short answers (yes, no, maybe, I don't know) are preferable.

1. Qi exists
6. All legitimate martial arts styles are ultimately equal, but some are optimized for certain body types
10. There is an ultimate style for a certain goal or for certain goals (unarmed fighting, fighting with knives, fighting with clubs, self-development, qi-development, it doesn't matter)
12. "traditional" takedown defenses not involving sports wrestling methods are effective
14. It is possible for a person to continue to improve at MA in terms of fighting ability well into their 80s or beyond
15. It is possible for a person to be rightfully considered a capable fighter without ever having fought anyone
16. It is possible for a person to be rightfully considered a capable fighter without having fought anyone skilled in any martial art or fighting method
19. Martial arts tend to decline over time (founder was probably the best and its all downhill from there)
20. Martial arts improved up until some apogee and have declined since then (ie some people say judo improved until the early 40s and has declined since then, or that the art of Aikido improved until the end of WWII and then declined)

Thanks!

1. Yes
2. Maybe but I have only seen it done in demo form when the person using qi had plenty of time to prepare. As to whether it can be generated qick enough for a surprise street attack i dont know
3. Yes but it is done so at own risk
4. Yes
5. No but that doesn't mean that any body type can't do any martial art well
6. Equal in what way? Some are designed for sport, some are not so it is a very individual thing
7. Yes
8. Yes
9. Each to their own
10.No
11.No
12.If done properly
13.Yes but I havent met anyone personally who can do it. By immovable I mean by people. A car could move anyone.
14.Yes in certain areas. You're jumping roundhouse is unlikely to continually improve until you are 80. Internal stuff definitely will
15.How would we ever know what people have done. I have never met a MA instructor who willingly admits to have never having been in an altercation.
16.No, a majority of altercations will happen with untrained people
17.Yes to attract students and appeal to the western worlds necessity for goal setting and title otherwise they matter little
18.Yes your ability does but some arts are taught as they have been for 200 years
19.No but having said that there will never be the likes of an Osensei again but that doesn't mean that overall an art like aikido hasn't improved
20.I don't know but if the world record for the marathon has constantly improved hence people are getting better at running why couldn't the same be said for the martial arts.
21.No.

Cheers
Sam:asian:

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
1. Qi exists
In some form, yes. It is certainly not "magic"
Yes
Probably, but not neccesarily in a combat effective way
Probably
No
No
Of course
Yes
Yes
No
No
Yes
Not totally
Yes
No
Yes
Yes. Altough a system with only white, brown and black might be better.
Some do. Depends on the direction taken by the ones in charge.
No

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
1. Qi exists -- Yes
2. It is possible to use qi to "supercharge" or enhance physical techniques -- Yes, but most who profess it are full of BS, while those who try to develop it need professional counseling for personality deficits.
3. It is possible to project qi to harm others -- Yes. Caveat: See above.
4. It is possible to project qi to heal or improve the health of others -- Yes. See above.
5. All legitimate martial arts styles are equal for all body types -- No. My long torso is a liability in BJJ and kickboxing. Mounyted, one can ride me like a surfboard, and my elbows won't cover my ribs/kidneys whithout stooping.
6. All legitimate martial arts styles are ultimately equal, but some are optimized for certain body types -- Agree
7. There are superior and inferior ways to move the body for a given effect -- Absolutely
8. There are superior and inferior methods of unarmed fighting -- Absolutely
9. Some legitimate styles are better than others -- Yes
10. There is an ultimate style for a certain goal or for certain goals (unarmed fighting, fighting with knives, fighting with clubs, self-development, qi-development, it doesn't matter) -- Yes. Try duck-hunting with a fishing pole. You might get one or two, once in awhile by sneaking up on them, but you'll have a lot better luck with a shotgun.
11. There is an ultimate style period. -- Disagree. Context-dependent.
12. "traditional" takedown defenses not involving sports wrestling methods are effective -- Depends.
13. It is possible to become immovably rooted -- I don't care how good you are, I can move you with a tractor. Or after I break your shins with a pipe (strategic softening anybody?)
14. It is possible for a person to continue to improve at MA in terms of fighting ability well into their 80s or beyond -- Ask Ueshiba or Helio Gracie.
15. It is possible for a person to be rightfully considered a capable fighter without ever having fought anyone -- Depends on the person, training, and experience. Possible, yes. As common as kuhroddy geeks like to think, no.
16. It is possible for a person to be rightfully considered a capable fighter without having fought anyone skilled in any martial art or fighting method -- See above. I was in an MMA gym in the early days when a roided-out competitive MMA-er opted to bully a small-circle theory jujutsu geek who had never been in a real fight in his life. He had the MMA dude screaming for mercy in a whopping 6 seconds.
17. The belt system is in sum a good thing for the martial arts -- It was, before economics got involved. Now it's a mediocre way to seperate chapters in a book about specialized study...chapter 1 = white belt, chapter 2 = yellow. That's about the only benefit. Ultimately, either you know it or you don't, and can back it up or can't.
18. Martial arts improve over time -- Some do, some degrade. New knowledge gained; old knowledge lost.
19. Martial arts tend to decline over time (founder was probably the best and its all downhill from there) -- Sometimes true, sometimes not.
20. Martial arts improved up until some apogee and have declined since then (ie some people say judo improved until the early 40s and has declined since then, or that the art of Aikido improved until the end of WWII and then declined) -- see above.
21. These questions are in some way insulting -- Only this particular question.

Best Regards,

Dave

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1. Qi exists Yes
2. It is possible to use qi to "supercharge" or enhance physical techniques Yes withen reason
3. It is possible to project qi to harm others Don't know
4. It is possible to project qi to heal or improve the health of others some say yes
5. All legitimate martial arts styles are equal for all body types no
6. All legitimate martial arts styles are ultimately equal, but some are optimized for certain body types Yes
7. There are superior and inferior ways to move the body for a given effect Yes
8. There are superior and inferior methods of unarmed fighting Yes
9. Some legitimate styles are better than others Not really all style have there points
10. There is an ultimate style for a certain goal or for certain goals (unarmed fighting, fighting with knives, fighting with clubs, self-development, qi-development, it doesn't matter) Yes
11. There is an ultimate style period. No
12. "traditional" takedown defenses not involving sports wrestling methods are effective Yes if applyed right
13. It is possible to become immovably rooted I do not believe so
14. It is possible for a person to continue to improve at MA in terms of fighting ability well into their 80s or beyond No, a person body wears down over time. Can they defend themself yes
15. It is possible for a person to be rightfully considered a capable fighter without ever having fought anyone Yes avoiding a fight makes a great fighter
16. It is possible for a person to be rightfully considered a capable fighter without having fought anyone skilled in any martial art or fighting method yes
17. The belt system is in sum a good thing for the martial arts Sometimes
18. Martial arts improve over time everything evolves so yes
19. Martial arts tend to decline over time (founder was probably the best and its all downhill from there) no the teachind declines over time
20. Martial arts improved up until some apogee and have declined since then (ie some people say judo improved until the early 40s and has declined since then, or that the art of Aikido improved until the end of WWII and then declined) that is up to the practitioal of the Art
21. These questions are in some way insulting no not at all

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

1. Qi exists

Thanks!

1. yes - as the proper blending of physical laws
2. yes - see a #1
3. yes
4. yes
5. no
6. yes
7. yes
8. no
9. no
10. no
11. no
12. yes
13. immovable - probably not, very difficult to move - yes
14. yes
15. no
16. yes
17. no
18. some do, some don't
19. some do, some don't
20. some do, some don't
21. no

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
1. Qi exists - Yes

3. It is possible to project qi to harm others – nope, not a believer in anyone being able to project qi

4. It is possible to project qi to heal or improve the health of others – nope, not a believer in anyone being able to project qi

13. It is possible to become immovably rooted – By definition of “immovable” not bloody likely. Root all you want if I hook you to a crane you’re moving. By the way this question and many answers I have seen to similar questions shows a lack of understanding of the terminology of CMA as it applies to rooting.

21. These questions are in some way insulting - nope

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

1. Qi exists - YES

2. It is possible to use qi to "supercharge" or enhance physical techniques YES, BUT IT IS SUBTLE AND DIFFICULT AND MOST PEOPLE CANNOT AND NEVER WILL BE ABLE TO DO SO, AND IT ISN'T IN THE FORM OF A "CHI BLAST" LIKE YOU SEE IN THE MOVIES

3. It is possible to project qi to harm others IF YOU MEAN LIKE A "NO-TOUCH KNOCKOUT", THEN NO. BUT IN THE CONTEXT OF TECHNIQUE, SEE #2 ABOVE.

4. It is possible to project qi to heal or improve the health of others SAME ANSWER AS #3 ABOVE

5. All legitimate martial arts styles are equal for all body types NO

6. All legitimate martial arts styles are ultimately equal, but some are optimized for certain body types ESSENTIALLY YES FOR THE FIRST PART OF THE QUESTION, DEFINITELY YES FOR THE SECOND. BUT THERE IS MORE TO IT THAN JUST BODY TYPE. PERSONALITY, LIKES/DISLIKES, INTERESTS, ETC. ALSO COME INTO THE PICTURE.

7. There are superior and inferior ways to move the body for a given effect OF COURSE

8. There are superior and inferior methods of unarmed fighting YES, BUT IT CAN BE SURPRISING WHAT A SKILLED PERSON CAN DO WHO HAS TRAINED IN AN "INFERIOR" METHOD. IT CAN MAKE YOU TAKE A SECOND LOOK AT WHAT YOU THOUGHT WAS AN "INFERIOR" METHOD, AND YOU JUST MIGHT CHANGE YOUR MIND ABOUT IT. ULTIMATELY, WHAT IS A SUPERIOR OR INFERIOR METHOD IS A MATTER OF OPINION.

9. Some legitimate styles are better than others SEE #8 ABOVE.

10. There is an ultimate style for a certain goal or for certain goals (unarmed fighting, fighting with knives, fighting with clubs, self-development, qi-development, it doesn't matter) PROBABLY YES, BUT PROBABLY NOT ONE SINGLE ULTIMATE STYLE. RATHER, IT COULD BE A FAMILY OF STYLES. FOR EXAMPLE, THERE ARE MANY FILIPINE STYLES THAT USE STICKS AND KNIVES. I DON'T KNOW THAT I WOULD SUGGEST ONE OF THEM IS THE GRAND ULTIMATE FOR THESE METHODS. RATHER, THE FAMILY OF FILIPINE STYLES AS A WHOLE WOULD BE CONSIDERED AMONG THE BEST FOR THESE METHODS.

11. There is an ultimate style period. NOPE NOPE NOPE.

12. "traditional" takedown defenses not involving sports wrestling methods are effective YUP

13. It is possible to become immovably rooted NOPE

14. It is possible for a person to continue to improve at MA in terms of fighting ability well into their 80s or beyond PERHAPS, BUT NOT MOST PEOPLE, AND NOT MOST TRAINING METHODS. MAYBE ACTUAL IMPROVEMENT WILL STOP WITH AGE AT SOME POINT, BUT AT LEAST A SURPRISINGLY HIGH LEVEL OF ABILITY CAN BE MAINTAINED WITH THE PROPER METHODS WELL INTO OLD AGE.

15. It is possible for a person to be rightfully considered a capable fighter without ever having fought anyone YES, BUT I WOULD SAY IT IS ASSUMED THAT THE PERSON HAS TAKEN PART IN SOME KIND OF SPARRING/CONTACT TRAINING TO DEVELOP REAL SKILLS

16. It is possible for a person to be rightfully considered a capable fighter without having fought anyone skilled in any martial art or fighting method YES, SEE #15 ABOVE. AGAIN, IT IS ASSUMED CONTACT SPARRING/TRAINING HAS BEEN DONE, PROBABLY WITH INSTRUCTORS AND CLASSMATES WHO ARE PROBABLY SKILLED MARTIAL ARTISTS. IT CREATES A BIT OF A CIRCULAR ARGUMENT IN THIS CASE...

17. The belt system is in sum a good thing for the martial arts YES AND NO. SOMETIMES I THINK IT IS WORTHWHILE, OTHER TIMES I WOULD LIKE TO THROW IT OUT COMPLETELY, OR AT LEAST HEAVILY CHANGE AND SIMPLIFY IT.

18. Martial arts improve over time DEPENDS ON SOCIAL CONTEXT AND REASONS FOR TRAINING. SOMETIMES YES, SOMETIMES NO.

19. Martial arts tend to decline over time (founder was probably the best and its all downhill from there) SEE #18 ABOVE.

20. Martial arts improved up until some apogee and have declined since then (ie some people say judo improved until the early 40s and has declined since then, or that the art of Aikido improved until the end of WWII and then declined) AGAIN, SEE #18

21. These questions are in some way insulting NAH.

Thanks! YOU ARE WELCOME

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
1. Yes, though i think many people put too much mystical importance to it.

2. Yes.

3. Maybe, but not in the 'magic chiball' way some people claim. More subtle methods, the opposite of using energy to heal, are probably possible.

4. Yes. Emphatically yes.

5. Of course not.

6. Yes. It's your committment and the quality of your instruction that matter.

7. Certainly.

8. No. Better choices for certain situations, yes. But my kung fu is not better than yours.

9. Nope. My kung fu still isn't better than yours.

10. Nope.

11. Nope.

12. Yep.

13. Define immovably. I can probably keep a wwe guy from moving me, but a bulldozer will still do the trick.

14. Yes, provided you take the abilities of an 80 year old into account and train properly for that body.

15. Nope

16. Yep

17. Yep.

18. Yep.

19. Nope.

20. Nope.

21. Nope.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ouch my brain hurts too!
icon6.gif

OP
R

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Is there a way to create a poll with 21 questions and 3 possible answers for each? I wanted all of this to go together on one thread to see how the answers interconnected (people who believe in one thing but not another etc).

Latest Discussions