If You Weren't in Martial Arts, What Would You Do To Stay in Shape?

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey all! Becky here! :) I was just wondering what everyone would do to stay in shape if you weren't in martial arts..... If you are in something else besides martial arts, you can mention that too. I'd like to be in ballet, gymnastics, and figure skating, but because of time and money constraints, I haven't been able to yet. So what else would u do?

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's hard to think of my life without martial arts. But if I didn't do martial arts I probably would have stuck with soccer more, and thats what I would do most likely.

S

sasquatchnaruto

im with dubljay here, i cant really see myself not in martial arts now that im doing it and teaching, i guess i would do pilates jk

CMack11

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Nothing.

I started martial arts because I had trouble keeping myself on a regular exercise program. I started looking for different things to help me stay in shape, and found martial arts. Now I'm in the best shape of my life.

JenniM

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi Becky, I always supplement my training with going to the Gym - I used to love horse-riding which keeps you fit but following a back op dont get to do that now - if funds are short its great to plug into your MP3 and just get out and walk/run in the fresh air - I'd also love to dance - a good friend of mine is a Dance Instructor and he gets an excellent work out that way as well as doing his martial arts - its all time and money so just do what you can and what makes you happy :)

JM

Jerry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
An interesting question, considering both that it was to find an exercise that didn't bore me that I came to martial arts in my late teens, and that I then abandoned that as a criteria for martial arts and persued combative ones.

Horseback riding comes immediately to mind, as it's a non-martial activitiy I do now... Yoga is a distinct possability, or back to the SCA / HACA (or does that count as a martial art?).

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hmm, lessee... caving, hiking, caving, biking, caving, chasing girls :rolleyes:, caving, ice climbing, caving, backpacking, caving, rock-climbing, caving, camping, caving, mountaineering, and umm... oh, did I mention caving?? :uhyeah:

No, since I've found how MA can incorporate itself with almost everything that I do (besides MA... which is much of the time), I wouldn't be able to weed it out or NOT have it in my life.

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would stay.........................

round!

round is a shape!
icon10.gif

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CMack11 said:
Nothing.

I started martial arts because I had trouble keeping myself on a regular exercise program. I started looking for different things to help me stay in shape, and found martial arts. Now I'm in the best shape of my life.
Man, that's me to a tee.

At this point, I would probably go back to hockey since I really enjoy it and play it with my kids anyway.

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would probably take up Yoga, great for relaxation and toning the bopdy as well as going to the gym. I alread do some abdominal and chest exercises at home.

mj_lover

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i would resort to swimming and gymnastics. or xma, or does that count as ma?

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Good question... I guess I would probably be out of shape. I was never really into sports (I'm still not), and never really into exercise. I might have gone down to the gym every few days or so, but there's no way that I could maintain that (I absolutely detest running). I would especially not be able to maintain the shape I'm in now. No way.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, nothing pretty much sums it up for me as well. I force myself to take time out for martial arts which keeps me motivated to do other things with my classmates like canoeing, hiking and such. I've never had a weight problem, except trying to gain some weight but my cardio and general health would really suffer. Sensei has often said that your most dangerous enemy is yourself and in the case of exercise I am indeed my own worst enemy.

V

valacruz

I am thankful That I have found the martial arts in my life. If I hadent, well I would be a smoker, drinker(not that there is anything wrong with jager and goldshlagga), fast food scrafing fatty pants.

I actually was all thise things before I started my training! Yikes! However, the martial arts offered an alternative that was much to my liking and to my health.

Good question
ps seriously I still enjoy my jagger and goldshlagga

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I started martial arts at 19. While growing up, I enjoy sports (downhill skiing, volleyball, soccer, flag football, basketball, softball, wallyball, racquetball, fencing, archery, field hockey, firearms shooting, and many others). I also competed in cross country running and track and field events [short-middle distance, relay, and hurdles].

I have to have martial arts. Other than that, I also enjoy caving, target-shooting with guns, and weightlifting.

- Ceicei

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As it is now, I do a lot of "extra curricular" exercise outside of martial arts with running, hiking, swimming, cycling and body weight exercises, but before I really got into martial arts, I used to lift a lot, and play rugby as well, so I would probably still be doing that.

(By the way, if I still played rugby and lifted as well I think my girlfriend would go nuts, she complains that I am never home as it is...)

R

rainbows

I've been doing martial arts for so much of my life at this stage that I couldn't imagine myself doing anything else.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would probably do free weights, aerobics, pilates and biking.

Latest Discussions