What do you consider the greatest benefit?

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
What do you consider the greatest benefit you get from your martial arts training?

This could be personal, social, professional or otherwise.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The health benefits are obvious. The new family that Ive gain is one of the best parts. The way it helps me step away from all the crap in my life is one of the best parts. Check you ego at the door is a policy in most dojo's but one everyone should adopt is check your troubles at the door as well.

The greastest part for me though was it helping me get my life back in order. I had drinking problems and drug problems. Emotional and personal issues that were leading me down the wrong path and ultimately to my own death. I walked in the dojo as a latch ditch effert to improve my physical health and ended up improving my entire life. I owe my life to my instructor and the people at my dojo. They dont know how much they all mean to me.

B

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have two.

One is peace of mind: while I know that I am not some invincible fighter just because I hold a black belt, I do know that I have way more options than the average Joe if I ever need to defend myself, and many years of sparring have eliminated the 'freeze' issue that many people experience when they're under attack.

Second is that it has provided me with the direction that I had been seeking for a very long time. I had been in martial arts for many years, but the training at my current dojang has brought me to a place where I want to be an instructor of my own studio. I suppose that this is probably the greatest benefit, but that peace of mind thing is there all the time.

Daniel

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The MAs are my happy place. Actually, since taking up MMA, I haven't looked or felt this healthy since I was in high school. My "freshman 15" was more like 30 lbs. I've since lost most of that, and have felt a little more muscular.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One of the biggest benefits to me was being able to look at myself with a more objective eye to see where my strengths and weaknesses were, and how to take real steps to improve physically, mentally, and in my relations with other people.

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
friends, goals, accomplishments, way too many benefits to pick one

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, what they said.

Meeting great people who inspire me.

Learning about myself...learning about people...Learning to do cool things to joints. Learning.

Keeping fit without having to use willpower! I feel like I am getting away with something on that one and it gives me a little thrill! Working out is supposed to be boring. It's like a get out of jail free card.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Learning how to relax and connect with myself and some other new age hippie stuff:lol:

Also learning how to defend myself and protect others and all that manly stuff.

CDA4555

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The greatest benefit from my MA training is being in tune and understanding my body. This eems like a very simple answer but it is one of the most important attributes that everyone (not just martial artists) should have. I believe that knowing your body prevents injury and stress. I am in law enforcement and knowing how my body moves and adjusts under stress has helped me a great deal in remaining safe and secure. Many of the techniques I have learned have gone by the wayside in times of stress but the attributes that I have gained in the training and knowing how I move always comes into play.

Now if I can only put down the coffee and Krispy Kreams!

Latest Discussions