What is the Greatest Lesson You Have Learned from the Martial Arts?

Ediaan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've learnt to be more vigilant, to be kinder and to pay attention because I learn more from teaching, than I learn when I am being taught.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There is more than one way to skin a cat. All of the ways are equally valid for different reasons.

Gnarlie

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That you can do just about anything if you work hard and never give up. And that that matters a lot more in the end than natural talent.

AKA, anyone can get a black belt if they work hard enough for long enough, but a lazy and uncommitted person will never get anywhere, no matter how much natural talent they have.
I have to absolutely ditto this. It was very well stated.

Perseverance is the most important thing I've learned. Never, ever give up.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
One great lesson was hearing the comments of my sensei advisor at a black belt gathering last summer. I can only paraphrase but he stated: When we practice in the dojang we practice for the fight that may never come. When we are out of the dojang we are practicing martial arts when we smile at someone and thank them at the cash register. We practice martial arts when we hold the door for someone else. Every act of kindness or positive interaction with another is practicing martial arts. This practice is the practice of peace, the avoidance of conflict and the elevation of the human spirit. This way of practicing martial arts increases the peace around you and reduces the need for the techniques we practice in the dojang.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
The golden rule of martial arts – no matter what you know, no matter how good you are – there’s always somebody better so keep practicing.

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My lessons learned are you can only be patient for so long. If you're patiently training, and being humble, but patiently and humbly going no where then go some place where you will get some where. Take the lessons from the previous place and learn from them. Training takes patience. Also you only get one life, so write the legacy you want to leave not the legacy somebody else wants you to leave.