When do we become part of the tradition?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well no, English is dynamic, everything has changed from Elizabethan times, as you may have noticed if you try reading Shakespeare with out an introductory course, and of course shakes spear has been modernised so it makes a modicum of sense.

a better comparison would be French, that has refused to progress, to the extent that they have a department to ban words like carpark and weekend, that where tradition gets you a dying language or a dying art
French still changes - just more slowly than some other languages.

But it feels like you're arguing for the sake of argument on this one.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
French still changes - just more slowly than some other languages.

But it feels like you're arguing for the sake of argument on this one.
its being replaced not so slowly with English words, as more and more people speak English they incorperate into there everyday conversation a, to the point they have passed laws,, very soon it wont exist as a regonregonisable language in its own right

I'd beamed the motor racing for free from china with a Chinese cometary, to my surprise I could follow it with out much difficulty, they had adopted the English words for, amongst others, start, flag tires, pit stop, overtake, penalty, back marker,lleader lap time,, brake crash champion and steward and admittedly the French for champagne, but pronounce as the English do

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A teacher was late for his class. His young brother started to teach the class for him. When the teacher came, the teacher slapped on his young brother's face and said, "How dare you to teach this secret to people outside of our family?" Please notice that his young brother was teaching the teacher's own students.

Why do you want to be traditional? Some tradition can go to hell as far as I'm concern. Some MA systems deserve to be dead. The funny thing was none of the teacher's own sons were interested in MA.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A teacher was late for his class. His young brother started to teach the class for him. When the teacher came, the teacher slapped on his young brother's face and said, "How dare you to teach this secret to people outside of our family?" Please notice that his young brother was teaching the teacher's own students.

Why do you want to be traditional? Some tradition can go to hell as far as I'm concern. Some MA systems deserve to be dead. The funny thing was none of the teacher's own sons were interested in MA.
I say, let the system survive - let the tradition of secrecy die.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I have never seen this kind of thing happen. How prevalent do you believe it is?

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have never seen this kind of thing happen. How prevalent do you believe it is?
I like your question.
I have not known this happening myself either, but then again how would I know.
I have read that the other students did not want Ip man to teach Bruce Lee because he was part white.
I don't know if this story is true or not.
I know General Choi was kick out of South Korea for teaching North Koreans.
IMO most teachers want their art to live throw their students.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd like to know some details about this. I've been around, been to more dojos than I can possibly remember, never saw or even heard a hint of any of this.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The teacher's young brother told me in person. The teacher's students also proved it did happen.

The following Q&A also happened.

Teacher: If anybody can answer the following 3 questions, I'll pay him $30,000.
Student: Someone has already published a book with all your 3 questions and answers.
teacher: ...

Student: Why are you watching me when I teach my students?
Teacher: I want to make sure that you don't release my secret to your students.
Student: I only teach my students style X and style Y that I have learned from my other teachers. I will never teach the style A and style B that I have learned from you.

Student: You have told us that don't do this and don't do that, but all those errors are shown in your demo. Why?
Teacher: I try to hide the truth away from the general public.

Student: You don't want to teach the 1st form and the 2nd form so you have created a 3rd form to teach to the public. What if your students want to learn the 1st and 2nd form later on?
Teacher: You can tell them that after they have learned the 3rd advance form, they no longer need to learn the 1st and 2nd basic form.

Student: You told me that when I teach a beginner, I should follow 2 steps, step 1: Don't teach the true stuff. step 2: Pretend I'll teach the true stuff in the future. What's the step 3?
Teacher: step 3: Pretend you are teaching the true stuff.

What will you do if your MA teacher tells you this?

- You can only teach the form. You can not teach the application.
- If you teach the form, you should not correct your students if they make mistake.
- You can make the training easier for students even if it may violate the style principles.
- If you demonstrate your form in public, you should always add in some extra moves.

Some CMA systems deserve to be dead.

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The teacher's young brother told me in person. The teacher's students also proved it did happen.

The following Q&A also happened.

Teacher: If anybody can answer the following 3 questions, I'll pay him $30,000.
Student: Someone has already published a book with all your 3 questions and answers.
teacher: ...

Student: Why are you watching me when I teach my students?
Teacher: I want to make sure that you don't release my secret to your students.
Student: I only teach my students style X and style Y that I have learned from my other teachers. I will never teach the style A and style B that I have learned from you.

Student: You have told us that don't do this and don't do that, but all those errors are shown in your demo. Why?
Teacher: I try to hide the truth away from the general public.

Student: You don't want to teach the 1st form and the 2nd form so you have created a 3rd form to teach to the public. What if your students want to learn the 1st and 2nd form later on?
Teacher: You can tell them that after they have learned the 3rd advance form, they no longer need to learn the 1st and 2nd basic form.

Student: You told me that when I teach a beginner, I should follow 2 steps,

step 1: Don't teach the true stuff.
step 2: Pretend I'll teach the true stuff in the future.

What's the step 3?

Teacher:

step 3: Pretend you are teaching the true stuff.

What will you do if your MA teacher tells you this?

- You can only teach the form. You can not teach the application.
- If you teach the form, you should not correct your students if they make mistake.
- You can make the training easier for students even if it may violate the style principles.
- If you demonstrate your form in public, you should always add in some extra moves.

Some CMA systems deserve to be dead.
I believe that if this actually happens, it is uncommon extremism.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just because those MA teachers had passed away, their children were not interested. They had tried to keep their secret for nothing. I'm ashamed to even know those MA teachers. Since they are dead, I won't mention their names here.
Well, these people no longer stand in the way. They are now part of history. Their students can take it forward.

Latest Discussions